Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: To race or not to race that is the question
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 06:48 PM

Barry, have you ever been to one of the score races? And I'm talking about some of the more remote places? Have you observed just how much the local folk love these events?

As far as your misadventure there's a simple solution - slow down and don't drive beyond yours and your vehicle's capabilities.

(sorry, couldn't resist) :lol::lol::lol::lol:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 07:25 PM

Very very rare to see the Mexican locals complaining about the races. They love them. Complainers are the gringo's that moved in and now want Baja to be like the US city they got away from.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 07:40 PM

Exactamente Lou!!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 08:31 PM

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, and you are right! all of you. And yes, I have been to a SCORE race, and I enjoyed it profoundly.

STILL-------those bloody whoops are HORRIBLE, especially when you have no choice but to travel over them.

When you have a truck as heavy as mine, there IS no prudent speed over those damn whoops---------and I sure scream and cuss a lot as the truck torques itself to death with loud snaps and crackles.

Jeeeeeeeso, it's bad. :O: fire:
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, and you are right!

When you have a truck as heavy as mine, there IS no prudent speed over those damn whoops---------

Barry ,
Thanks for letting us in on what your post is really about:lol:!

Clearly the problem is you and your trucking....:o

Gentlemen, start your engines.....:coolup:
Ged:tumble:

Don't believe everything you think....
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Very very rare to see the Mexican locals complaining about the races. They love them. Complainers are the gringo's that moved in and now want Baja to be like the US city they got away from.

That's an unfair critique. While there will always be course modifications, the areas that generally host offroad racing are well worn. The majority of gringos who buy near established race routes are fans. The few that aren't are clueless, indefensible idiots.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-21-2007 at 09:46 PM

High tide (twice a day) erases my one pair of tracks going to my camp on Shell Island... :bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 06:07 AM

Ok well we just bought land (1200 acres of it) where the race goes through on a regular basis, are we huge race fans? No not really, its a cool part of Baja tradition, and of course it brings a huge amount of money to the penninsula!
I think the observation that ALL locals love the event is slightly off base though, the local ranchers tolerate the event because thats the way a lot of Mexcans are, ie tolerant and accomodating, much more so than the average American or Canadian!
We will be sinking around $10,000 or so into road improvements (our laneway is 6km long) I'm not so sure I want the racers tearing it up every time the 250, 500, or 1000 goes through! If it were just the race days I would say fine but its all the pre-running. A few bad apple racers are downright rude to the ranchers land rights, Andy Meling was practically run off the road a year or so ago and he scratched up his new truck pretty badly, he was very annoyed!
It comes down to the fact that the racers are just one special interest group that wants a certain type of land use, the glory years of where the racers could just do what they wanted is probably coming to an end, they will have to start working together much more closely with landowners if they want to maintain traditional race routes! My Wife and I want to start a Astronomy/Naturalist B&B in the mountains, so for us its all about serene peace and quiet, if we let the racers go through our property they better damn well respect our desires and pay for road maintenance!

just my 2 cents as a landowner!
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
I think the observation that ALL locals love the event is slightly off base though, the local ranchers tolerate the event because thats the way a lot of Mexcans are, ie tolerant and accomodating, much more so than the average American or Canadian!

My comment wasn't meant for locals. Just gringos who buy near race routes. ;)

They aren't and likely will never be, locals. :lol:

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 02:35 PM

Roberto, open the sites below to understand what the offroad "enthusiasts" have in store for Baja, CA. It's not just about the road itself. And you can't tell me that 1000 vehicles over 3 days on the race route in the back country will have no impact. Prove it otherwise- take before and after photos and post them.
And you can find many, many more sites depicting the damage, explaining the longterm effects of offroad vehicle use. These drivers are a world away from understanding the damage they cause or appreciating the wilderness areas they are in. Now they want to invade Baja, CA. Why would their MO be any different?

http://www.suwa.org/site/PhotoAlbumUser?view=UserAlbum&A...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildlandscpr/415299088

http://www.voiceforthewild.org/mbnf/news/n30may01.html

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/mar2001/2001-03-09-06.asp

http://oregon.sierraclub.org/conserv/hidsrt/vehicle.asp

http://www.naturaltrails.org/VroomReport/vroom2002/4-2-02.ht...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, and you are right! all of you. And yes, I have been to a SCORE race, and I enjoyed it profoundly.

STILL-------those bloody whoops are HORRIBLE, especially when you have no choice but to travel over them.

When you have a truck as heavy as mine, there IS no prudent speed over those damn whoops---------and I sure scream and cuss a lot as the truck torques itself to death with loud snaps and crackles.

Jeeeeeeeso, it's bad. :O: fire:

Hi Barry, I know the section you are speaking of, the 8 miles just north of Arroyo Matomi in the south end of Valle Chico...

I have been using that road since 1978 and it has always been all whoops because it is 'cross grain', however it has gotten worse (deeper whoops) over the years... the racing (SF 250, Baja 1000) seems to have made it worse, but flash floods are probably the bigger culpret... Do you think?

Ultimately it is up to Mexico to regulate the races if they want to, but wouldn't it be nice if SCORE cleaned and repaired the roads so the racing can continue without a need for government involvement?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PJC
Super Nomad

Mood: Right

[*] posted on 10-23-2007 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
As a previous manager for 13 years (1973 to 1986) for BLM in El Centro I do know somewhat of what I speak.

Barry, I sat on the BLM RAC in my locale for a 3 year stint. It was one of the most worthwhile things I have done for my off-road community. At the end of my stint we did have more (good) regulation and we had *more* races and we were looking forward to the creation of the Nellis Dunes park and vast, maintained trail systems near home and in the eastern part of the state. One I have more free time, and as the "permitted recreation" RAC spot opens, I plan to get back at it.

Quote:

This is not to say that we don't still have problems, but I do think that they are much less than was anticipated back when the California Desert Plan was implemented by BLM, etc., to the credit of the Off road vehicle participants and clubs.

That is great to hear! Now, if we can get the BLM to grade Bessemer Mine Rd.. :-)

Quote:

Contrary to the beliefs of some, BLM made considerable effort to accommodate the Off Road vehicle crowd, and I believe was largely successful.

In Nevada, I say that "most all" BLM staff sincerely worked their mission statement which accommodates off-road vehicles on public lands. Many were pro-supportive and just a few were loud dissidents against our liberties.

Cheers
PJC
Super Nomad

Mood: Right

[*] posted on 10-23-2007 at 08:46 AM

The "goat devil worshiper" (mtgoat666) and Wilderone are prime examples of the fading eco-facist crowd.

When I worked on the BLM RAC, we had to let these cretins in at the end of the meeting to make patent fools of themselves.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-23-2007 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PJC
The "goat devil worshiper" (mtgoat666) and Wilderone are prime examples of the fading eco-facist crowd.

When I worked on the BLM RAC, we had to let these cretins in at the end of the meeting to make patent fools of themselves.

PJC...They already know who and what they are...so calling by name will not do any good:no:
It is still a good call though....:lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-23-2007 at 09:25 AM

PJC... I still feel your group should make education your priority over all else...at minimum hand Spanish flier to warn they will loose racing as a sport if they lack respect...consult with a Mexican enthusiast group to help get your point across to limit impact on lands and feelings.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 10-23-2007 at 09:48 AM

Seems they are doing more than that Al. They are going around and actually talking with Ranchers and addressing their concerns.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-23-2007 at 04:37 PM

if the mexicans didn't want to have the races in their country...........they wouldn't.
they like the sport, they like the money it brings to their economies, they participate at all levels.....
its THEIR land.........why do so many non citizens want to control lands they have no business with??

and if any body thinks a bunch of random roads and trails running willy nilly thru the baja countryside causes an eco disaster or other needs to see them from 10,000 ft as i have, every square frickin inch. its a non event in proportion to the amount of tierra there is!!

and they , the locals, use these roads all the time.

what a bunch of hooey.......:lol::lol::lol:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.