Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: gringo snobbery
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 10-28-2007 at 08:18 PM

Ah, a fly guy that has discovered that all is not what it appears to be!! Good on ya Capt.Mike! There really is a lot more than the tourist zone.Lots of nice secluded beaches, plenty of wildlife, and some really great people! I, for one, would like to know what you experienced there (well, censored, of course):lol: BTW, i will be U2U ing you.:saint:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Peloncito
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2007 at 10:14 PM

I have to say I agaree with both sides and the points made in this thread. I have been going to CSL fishing since 1974 with my dad. My photos of the area have changed drastically over the years. But you can make that arguement about any city (in the world) where growth was inevitable. Downtown Cabo is merely a soundstage for MTV and the "Girls Gone Wild" producers while a short drive out of town does offer you the opportunity to enjoy beautiful beaches, rugged landscapes and smaller friendly "colonias" where you get a sense of what the entire region was like years ago. In the case of Cabos San Lucas, it is a shame that one of the best views of "El Arco" is from the Costco parking lot but we (gringos) are creating most of the demand and the supply is being made to benefit everyone in the area in some capacity. But that demand is not site specific to only Cabo San Lucas. It happens everywhere there is growth. As others have mentioned, you really need to get beyond the cliche of what Cabo is to most tourists to appreicate the benefits of southern Baja.

As far as I am concerned, until I see a different flag flying @ the Delegacion, it is ALL Mexico to me!

Mike
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 08:03 AM

Also, it is great that Cabo is at the tip of Baja...

That means you can see all of the rest of Baja without ever going to Cabo!

Lorenzo de Baja shared that with me!

I am looking forward to when the Diamante del Mar people have their Cabo project open...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 08:21 AM

On the fact that I have only been to CSL 4 times, I will retract my evaluation...but will not rush back to give it another chance. If someone can suggest a worthwhile "something" to try, I will, the next time I find myself there, give it a try.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 08:37 AM

Shoot, I thought this was gonna be about the gringo snobs that I see coming down for the baja 1000. Definately a different breed than the baja rats I know and love.
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 10-30-2007 at 10:50 AM

I've never been to CSL; but, I have been to SMA.

I knew what to expect when I went to SMA. I had heard stories and read about all the gringos. Like always expectations are never 100% accurate.

My impressions of SMA were that it was a bit of a fantasy land. The centro was very well kept and the city had more than its share of freshly painted buildings. There were definite enclaves or barrios where you could tell people had LOTS of money as the houses were huge and opulent. There were many gringos around town and many artsy shops. It was good and bad. Not quite as "authentic" feeling compared to some of the other cities in the area; but, then again what is "authentic" as many nearby cities were quite opulent in their heydays centuries ago. It was just not my cup of tea, as I prefer other nearby towns that are not so geared to tourists.

The biggest negatives of SMA:
-Overpriced hotels and food
-Gringos living in town that couldn't speak ANY Spanish?
-The centro was overrun with tourism

The positives:
-Very pretty, real, and well preserved Spanish Colonial architecture.
-Nice topography and good location to explore mines and/or other towns.
-Nice locals

I think there are "snobs" in any nice place; but, there are many nice people as well. I have not been to CSL; but, already have an idea about what to expect - some good and some bad. From my travels, I also know that places can be very different from what you expect. People have preferences about where they live and travel and some people can be snobs about it for sure, its too bad.

I'm sure that CSL has some nice areas and places outside the main tourist zone/strip. I'm not trying to stay away or talk bad about it; but, it's not going to be my main destination either. I'm not a fisherman. I like history, interesting cities, sleepy towns, and old buildings. For me, La Paz or Todos Santos are higher on my list. I'll get over to CSL someday, and I am sure I'll have a good time when I am there.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2007 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
I've never been to CSL; but, I have been to SMA.

I knew what to expect when I went to SMA. I had heard stories and read about all the gringos. Like always expectations are never 100% accurate.

My impressions of SMA were that it was a bit of a fantasy land. The centro was very well kept and the city had more than its share of freshly painted buildings. There were definite enclaves or barrios where you could tell people had LOTS of money as the houses were huge and opulent. There were many gringos around town and many artsy shops. It was good and bad. Not quite as "authentic" feeling compared to some of the other cities in the area; but, then again what is "authentic" as many nearby cities were quite opulent in their heydays centuries ago. It was just not my cup of tea, as I prefer other nearby towns that are not so geared to tourists.

The biggest negatives of SMA:
-Overpriced hotels and food
-Gringos living in town that couldn't speak ANY Spanish?
-The centro was overrun with tourism

The positives:
-Very pretty, real, and well preserved Spanish Colonial architecture.
-Nice topography and good location to explore mines and/or other towns.
-Nice locals

I think there are "snobs" in any nice place; but, there are many nice people as well. I have not been to CSL; but, already have an idea about what to expect - some good and some bad. From my travels, I also know that places can be very different from what you expect. People have preferences about where they live and travel and some people can be snobs about it for sure, its too bad.

I'm sure that CSL has some nice areas and places outside the main tourist zone/strip. I'm not trying to stay away or talk bad about it; but, it's not going to be my main destination either. I'm not a fisherman. I like history, interesting cities, sleepy towns, and old buildings. For me, La Paz or Todos Santos are higher on my list. I'll get over to CSL someday, and I am sure I'll have a good time when I am there.

I think with your open attitude you will have a good time wherever you go. I was really close-minded about Cabo, but I have had really good visits to both SJC and CSL.

Any time you look for the best of a place you will find it.

honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2007 at 09:54 PM

yea . a lot of you are missing out by not visiting cabo. sooo many mexicans from all over mexico come there for the opportunity. lots of great stories, and people. yea theres the bad stuff too! But that bad stuff is from san quintin north... ... and then again in san jose to los cabos. this is the baja that most of us avoid... but for most visitors this IS baja.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 10-31-2007 at 04:48 PM

John Steinbeck in his book Log to the Sea of Cortez makes mention of Cabo San Lucas and there was not a whole lot there.
My late father was a Tuna Fisherman and told me of a tuna cannery at CSL. This was in the 50's. The last time I was in Cabo I saw ruins and was told it was once a tuna cannery.
How times change!!

bacquito
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
John Steinbeck in his book Log to the Sea of Cortez makes mention of Cabo San Lucas and there was not a whole lot there.
My late father was a Tuna Fisherman and told me of a tuna cannery at CSL. This was in the 50's. The last time I was in Cabo I saw ruins and was told it was once a tuna cannery.
How times change!!

When I first went to Cabo San Lucas in 1966, I remember the cannery building at the edge of the bay with a pier out from it...

Here's a photo that shows some of the cannery on the beach from 1957, from the Howard Gulick collection...

Cannery Cape San Lucas, April 19, 1957

[Edited on 11-2-2007 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
How times change!!

When I first went to Cabo San Lucas in 1966, I remember the cannery building at the edge of the bay with a pier out from it...

Here's a photo that shows some of the cannery on the beach from 1957, from the Howard Gulick collection...

[Edited on 11-2-2007 by David K]

Thanks for the photo. My father began Tuna Fishing in the mid 50's and so this would have been the time he was in the area. He was quite involved in the Tuna industry and fished in Peru, Africa, South and West Pacific. He had alot of stories to tell.

bacquito
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 12:50 PM

This is an interesting topic. I was just at my place in San Quintin. None of the other american home owners were around and I was about to leave when a plane flew by low and fast.
He slowed and landed on our runway. It was my friends returning from shopping in San Diego. I got the distinct feeling from my one friend that he would rather fly to San Diego and shop at Trader Joes than interact with the locals.
There are a couple of decent mercados in S.Q. but they can be crowded with farm worker types but to me it's interesting. Maybe that novelty wears off after awhile and it just becomes annoying.
I helped unload the plane. Mostly liquor. What, you can't get a case of "2 buck Chuck" in Baja?
With a plane it would be possible to never go to town. Stay in the gringo enclave and drink wine while looking at the town with contempt.
I hope I don't get like that when I move there.

[Edited on 11-2-2007 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 01:38 PM

That's a sad story. I too love going to the local mercados. Fishbuck, I think with your attitude it will always be "interesting". Interesting leads to adventure and that is whats happening! Pants all gringo snobs!
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 02:08 PM

the response to my post is interesting indeed. I was raised in laguna beach, calif, before it was trendy. The more upscale it became the less i liked it. eventually moved to a small town in coastal british columbia which is a lot like laguna when i went to high school. What i love about baja is its sense of adventure. And I have better friends there in going there part time for the past few years than i ever had in laguna, or bc for that matter. And I think the people I like the most are my mexican friends. My veterinary partner in san jose is the most trustworthy, kind, wise, doctor i have had the pleasure to know in 25years of practice. So for me, in baja, and in los cabos i have it all.....La frontera, authenticity, good surf, good fishing, an amazing ecosystem (i have this thing for the life aquatic), really good people both mexican and gringo.....there's a lot of love in baja and los cabos for me.....
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 02:55 PM
So Dr. Tom--what more could you ask?

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTom
And I think the people I like the most are my mexican friends.

Wow....That's great Doc. How do you keep them seperated? You know...Those Mexican friends from the non-Mexican friends?
It must be a cultural chore. Do you check their teeth for remants of Mexican food? Maybe BigMac residue?
What is it that makes Mexicans more likeable than Anglo North Americans? I really want to know.
What did we do wrong?
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 05:33 PM

Quote:

Wow, the Hotel Hacienda has sure grown!
... and I don't see the tables on the beach at the Office.

Anybody remember Chuey's hotsprings camping?

A guy named Rivera was sitting in those hotsprings one nite, slurping jumbo shrimp & sucking a fattie, He had just paid the town fathers $25,000 to buy the whole desolate mountain (couple of square miles) behind the village. They thought he was loco as a Gringo. He named the hill Pedrigal.
Who knew!
Last building lot there just went for a million two. :lol:

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Wow....That's great Doc. How do you keep them seperated? You know...Those Mexican friends from the non-Mexican friends?
It must be a cultural chore. Do you check their teeth for remants of Mexican food? Maybe BigMac residue?
What is it that makes Mexicans more likeable than Anglo North Americans? I really want to know.
What did we do wrong?

Dennis, are you serious...? If you don't know, you need to get some Mexican friends! They are awesome people who with little wealth would gladly share anything with you...

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 05:45 PM
David, I had no idea

Quote:

you need to get some Mexican friends! They are awesome people who with little wealth would gladly share anything with you...

In that case, I'd love to meet Carlos Slim.

DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

What did we do wrong?

well, for one, my mexican friends covertly hostile.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.