Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Advice with future BajaCactus Store/Restaurant
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 01:46 PM

Hey Antonio-

Sounds to me like you have a few creatures here and may want to distinguish between them. One suggestion-you might consider have some items related to the gas station and others to the hotel. In other words, the public showers, mini-mart, etc. might coincide better with the gas station. Whereas the laundry and library might be an attribute of the hotel.

I suppose if this is housed together, though, that it will be associated with the gas station and not the hotel. Is this correct?

Zac

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 01:53 PM

fireplace???
sportfishing videos???

it's an AM/PM mini mart!!!!:lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 05:47 PM

Sounds great, Antonio, I look forward to stopping by.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 07:18 PM
Some thoughts...

Hi,

First I would like to thank you ALL for taking the time to write your ideas... THANK YOU!!!... I am already taking notes.

Now, to answer some questions:

-- Parking... you are right, this is very important, however we do not have a lot space, this is what we could squeeze in... there will be around 8 normal size parking spaces in front of the store (toward the highway)... plus, during the day, since we usually do not have guests at the motel, the 30+ parking spaces will be available (in the back of the store).

-- The main idea for the store/restaurant is to give service mainly to our motel guests and travelers... truthfully, I did not think on truck drivers simply because we do not have enough space to park those huge vehicles.

-- For those of you who remember our facilities, this convenience store will be constructed where our actual laundry machines for the motel are housed at the moment... having the front towards highway 1 and the back to the motel. One of the ideas to build it there is to serve as a sound barrier for the motel rooms, blocking some of the sound from the traffic on highway 1.

-- High quality coffee... yes... salsas... definitely.

-- Fresh made tortillas... nice idea, I will try to include it.... what we have already considered is fresh made donas and bread (I will see about the bolillos).

-- The kitchen is highly visible, so much that you will be able to see your food while is being prepared... hygiene very, very, very, extremely important. Do not want to spoil anyone vacation or trip to Baja.

-- ATM... I have been trying to get one for a couple of years now, but I have found no bank willing to install one there... yet. I will keep trying.

-- Giant map and bulletin board... good ideas... I will see about that... I am getting a really nice idea on this while I write.

-- There is a small place inside the store for souvenirs, local made arts and craft.

-- Unfortunately, we do not have enough space for camping or RV's... that is one thing we will not have.

Again, thank you so much my friends... your help is most appreciated (you see Oso... I am learning already... jejeje).

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

[Edited on 11-9-2007 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 07:45 PM

Hey...Don't forget the bacon wrapped hotdogs.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 09:40 AM

Antonio,

Sounds like you've got a great idea going! Coffee, quick and easy hot food, a few "on the road" necessities. I like the idea about the map and bulletin board. Everybody likes to look at maps of Baja.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 10:37 AM

And decorate the walls with photos of Baja, all donated by nomads, including historic ones.
And sell artwork, also displayed on the walls.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 12:11 PM

If you are catering to tourists needs and not truckers, then the showers would not be needed, because if someone is staying long enough to shower, they should get a room at Baja Cactus! Use that area for bigger laundromat or bathroom area, perhaps?

The mission photos from Jack Swords would be a great feature on the walls... petroglyphs too! Anything to let the traveler know Baja isn't just 'Cabo' and hotels!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 01:15 PM

I agree with David K. I don't see the need for showers. Maybe use the space for bacon wrapped hot dogs on the locally made sweet hot dog buns. Oh, Jeeze, I'm hungry!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Garry
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 01:24 PM
Showers

Keep the showers, an have water an air also. Dancing Girls out front. Tecate Girls would work
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 01:26 PM

Baja books and maps for sale.

[Edited on 11-9-2007 by Neal Johns]

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 01:27 PM

How about a massage? Don't all AM-PMs have massage facilities?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 01:30 PM

Space IS an issue for you, I am sure. You need more parking to accommodate all this.

Solution: buy Mama Espinoza out and combine the two properties. Gain a small kitchen and room for more parking and the store.

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 02:32 PM

It may be hard to be too many things to too many people. Good coffee, quick food and a place to hang out(library/internet cafe) sound great. There are markets where we can buy groceries and hardware in town. I love that fireplace at Melings, might be a good idea.
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

cool.gif posted on 11-9-2007 at 03:16 PM
Showers are a good idea

sometimes people want to clean up before heading north and visiting Ensendada or crossing the border

gotta have winni con huevo for breakfast

and we need good tea for those of us who do not drink coffee

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 03:59 PM
Showers are a BAD idea

Showers are a BAD idea. Promotes riff-raff clients. :lol:

[Edited on 11-9-2007 by Hook]

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 07:01 PM

Antonio,

Is the problem with getting a bank to install an ATM machine the data connection required?

I am not sure if you accept credit cards right now but we offer a commercial service via satellite called the transaction series that allows you to process up to 300 transactions per hour and can directly connect to a card reader so you can swipe customer credit cards. It's $39 per month plus about $900 in satellite equipment.

If your Mexican bank offers merchant services and card readers I don't see why it would not work for direct communication and deposit with them. The system does not offer INTERNET access just a configured direct connection to the merchant processing your transactions.

You can also connect an ATM machine to it if your bank is willing.

Or

You could set up a USA bank account and contract separately for merchant services In the USA. There are a ton of folks offering merchant services and the money is in your account 2-3 days later. They typically charge anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5% and about $75 for the card reader.

Of course you would still be liable for IVA on your transactions to Hacienda.

You could even offer cash back up to a certain amount on purchases.

Something to consider.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
And decorate the walls with photos of Baja, all donated by nomads, including historic ones.
And sell artwork, also displayed on the walls.

Like this?

The baja "Wall of Shame".

And perhaps a frontage sign endemic to Baja...

P<*)))><

[Edited on 10-11-2007 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 08:32 PM

Antonio,
Paulina's "wall of shame" would keep me there for hours!
A warm or cool beverage in my hand, needing to stretch my legs for a bit.
Photos are an excellent, low cost, brilliant idea!
salvavida
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 09:46 PM

Antonio,
I know it may be expensive, but, purified Block Ice would be a great seller for south bound travellers.
Gracias.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.