BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Baja Dogs
Mexicanmullet

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 08:34 PM

Ive been inquiring about baja dogs and someone told me that there is a mexican woman from centenario who is part owner of baja dogs and im not sure of her last name but i think her husbands name is ruban. Does any one out there know if this is true?
bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 11:09 PM

I don't have a dog in this fight, so to speak, but I feel a need to get my two cents in.

I've been a property owner here for 20 years -- and in all that time the local Mexican population has never given a s..t about the welfare of homeless animals. All the effort expended to create a humane shelter in La Paz for stray dogs and cats has come from Gringos. And it totally tees me off to see the one person who has managed to pull it all together get trashed in public print over some personnel issue that is nobodys business except the two people involved.

Further, I've visited the shelter and found it to be clean, well organized and staffed by people who really seem to care about the animals in their charge. Dhorea deserves a medal, not crap like this. :fire:
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 11:42 PM

Thank you Jazz, I agree.

AnimalAdvocate ?????? What are you proposing?????

The Animal Services budget where I live is about $16,000,000 U.S. per year. I live in an area where the population takes very good care of their animals and spends about $3 billion dollars a year (privately) on their pets.

There are always budget shortfalls when it comes to shelters private or public. That's the way it is......even the shelters built and sponsored by movie stars with great wealth have continuous problems staying afloat.

Many Vets generously donate time and shelters are always staffed with many volunteers to help. (not paid)

That's the way it is.

:(
bajaretreat
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 10:31 AM
Baja Dogs Cofounders

Mexicanmullet - the Mexican woman you are referring to, Olga, and her husband Ruben, are neighbors of Dhorea Ryon, and Olga is cofounder as well as a member of the board of directors. :light:

Never be afraid to do what\'s right especially if the well being of a person or animal is at stake. Society\'s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
BajaDaisy

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 04:42 PM

I HAVE READ WITH INTEREST THE COMMENTS RE BAJA AND DHOREA RYON THAT HAVE APPEARED ON THIS FORUM I PERSONALLY BEEN TO BAJA DOGS ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS
HAVE TWO DOGS ONE CAME DIRECTLY FROM THERE AND ONE THAT HAD BEEN RESCUED AND THAT I OBTAINED PRIOR TO THE FACILITIES EXISTENCE. I HAVE NEVER WITNESSED THE CONDITIONS DESCRIBED .SO I WOULD ASSUME ALL MESSES WERE HIDDEN AS THEY SAW ME APPROACHING THE BUILDING
WHAT DISTURBS ME IS THAT A WOMEN WHO DOES NOT HESITATE TO PUT HER TIME AND MONEY WER HER MOUTH IS SHOULD BE SO VILLIEFIED BY A PERSON OR PERSONS WHO DO NOT HAVE THE INTEGRITY TO SIGN THEIR NAME TO SUCH
SCURRILOUS COMMENTS
THIS LACK OF INTESTINAL FORTITUDE SUGGESTS TO ME ONE OF THREE THINGS

ONE -THEY HAVE A PERSONAL AXE TO GRIND

TWO- THEY DONT HAVE BOTH STICKS IN THEIR CHOP SUEY

THREE DO NOT HAVE THE MORAL TO SIGN THEIR NAME WHEN THEY MAKE SUCH ACCUSATIONS
eglazier

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 05:58 PM
baja dogs

i know nothing about the departure of Marisol the vet, but i have been visiting the shelter every two weeks to leave food. i have also been visiting an old male dog with the use of only three legs that we had been feeding on jalisco between the abasolo and insurgentes. i took him in because he was being beaten on by other dogs and felt at his old age he needed some care and peace. he has gotten that and good care; looks fine now.
i have never seen the filthy conditions described in the first post. i felt there was good care given to all the dogs there. caring for many dogs is a hard job and my belief is that it was being done well.
it is unfortunate when an idea from the mind of someone is broadcast as a diatribe rather than given in some thoughtful statement. criticism is worthwhile if it is presented carefully and if it is correct. i believe this one was wrong on both counts.
for info, we did not take the dog home for we have 8 already, de calle, and also 5 cats and we could not be certain the old dog and the cats would good together.
BajaDogsHelplineLaPazAC

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 06:50 PM
Baja Dogs

We appologize for our lateness in replying to these posts. We had some difficulty setting up an account and we also wished to post pictures in reply.

1. Baja Dogs Helpline of La Paz, A.C. is a legally registered Mexican Charity organization (Associacion Civil) and abides by the strict guidelines applicable to an Association Civil. It is curently comprised of 6 board members who meet regularly and who vote on decisions related to the structure and function of the dog refuge and other community activities and services. It is funded by and keeps accurate records of donations made to the charity. Several members of the board also donate signifigant amounts of their own money and/or labor for basic refuge operations or animal care. The refuge is currently staffed by volunteers and a few paid employees who are responsible for cleaning and animal care.

2. Baja Dogs has never hired a Veterinarian as an employee. A Veterinarian opened a private vet. clinic within the refuge. This veterinarian has recently chosen to leave the clinic. No one has been fired. Baja Dogs Helpline does not have any medical or surgical records belong to this veterinarian. Records held by Baja Dogs are solely related to the vaccine and medical records of the refuge dogs and a copy will be given to the adoptive owner. Other information regarding this issue is either false or inaccurate.

3. We invite anyone who has questions to please visit us. The information on the layout of the clinc as well as the treatment or misstreatment claimed in the original post is not true. We are posting photos taken at various times of the day so that readers can see for themsleves what the refuge and the animals look like. Come see us anytime (weekends 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. are best because you may find that "special someone" to adopt). You will see the fantastic care these rescued street dogs receive, as well as their spacious play areas. They are Mexican dogs and do take siestas between 1 PM and 4 PM.
Notable frequent visitors to the refuge include: Dr. Marcos Acuņa and Dr. Pepe Acosta from the Centro de Salud, as well as the Subdelagado of Centenario. All three are supporters of Baja Dogs Helpline and the work this non-profit agency has done in the La Paz, Centenario and Chemetla areas.
BajaDogsHelplineLaPazAC

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:19 PM
Baja Dogs

Here are some photos in and around the grounds of the Refuge.
BajaDogsHelplineLaPazAC

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:22 PM
Photos Baja Dogs Refuge

Outdoor space.jpg - 37kB
BajaDogsHelplineLaPazAC

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:23 PM
Outdoors

Outdoor time.jpg - 43kB
BajaDogsHelplineLaPazAC

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:25 PM
More outdoors

Shade area.jpg - 41kB
BajaDogsHelplineLaPazAC

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:27 PM
Baja Dogs Refuge Outside

Siesta in the shade.jpg - 37kB
BajaDogsHelplineLaPazAC

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:29 PM
Inside the Refuge Baja Dogs

Now you can see for yourselves the size of the cages, and how the refuge is maintained. We hope you'll note on the time stamps that these Photos were taken at various times during the day. They were also been taken on different days

[Edited on 11-16-2007 by BajaDogsHelplineLaPazAC]

Play time.jpg - 38kB
BajaDogsHelplineLaPazAC

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:31 PM
Indoor Photos

Here's some shots of those tiny cages.

Puppy in Cage.jpg - 38kB
BajaDogsHelplineLaPazAC

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:32 PM
Puppies in Cages

Here are the puppies napping together in a cage. They prefer this for contact and warmth.

Puppies napping together with their toys.jpg - 37kB
BajaDogsHelplineLaPazAC

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:33 PM
Puppies Together

Here they are all snuggled up together in their cage, napping.

PuppySiestas.jpg - 38kB
BajaDogsHelplineLaPazAC

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:34 PM
Puppy Naps

And yes, sometimes they even like to nap alone.

Puppy siesta.jpg - 37kB
BajaDogsHelplineLaPazAC

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:41 PM
More puppies

And here are the puppies inside. Please note the people footprints from someone who has come in from the street. They are very visable against the highly polished floor.

DSC03245.jpg - 35kB
BajaDogsHelplineLaPazAC

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 07:52 PM
And one last Photo

We could post more, but these photos should be sufficient to give readers a good idea of what the refuge really looks like.

We hope you can come visit, adopt a dog, or help support the work at the refuge. A lot has been done on a very small budget. We always need help. Donate some money, some time or both.
We're located on Calle Agustin Olachea Aviles #2
Entrada at Miguel Hidalgo and Nicolas Bravo in El Centenario.
Our e-mail is: info@bajadogshelplineoflapaz.org
Write or come by.
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 11-15-2007 at 09:31 PM

Thank you so much for the info... as i sit and reply with Mamacita on one side and Kobe (rescue from last spring) on the other...gracias.
You are obviously very involved and knowledgeable... the dog rescue business is always an emotional one
:(:(:(

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.