Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Thoughts About Dogs and Baja
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 11:04 AM

At the risk of being stoned, I need to say (I didn't bring up the subject in teh first place), that you dog owners should not assume that other people like your dog as much as you, that they are possibly even fearful of dogs, that barking, growling dogs are an annoyance, that people don't like having their crotches sniffed or having a dog jump at them, that dog poop is just plain obnoxious - anywhere, that leash laws are for everyone - even your dog, that it's really not ok to bring your dog into the grocery store, Target, etc. even if you think they're so cute in your backpack on your back, that listening to someone's baby talk to their dog is like listening to The Simpsons or opera (get me outta here), that dogs chasing birds, squirrels, chipmunks in those animals' own habitat may be fun for your dog, but traumatic for the little animal/bird (in fact animals have starved having had a dog pee next to their hole in the ground because they think a predator is near), and that an untrained, ill-mannered dog is your fault.
Ok - go ahead - I can take it.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 11:13 AM

Wilderone----------HEAR, HEAR!!!!!!!

Especially the part about dogs terrifying people-------both my wife and I have been badly bitten by dogs, and we both are frankly terrified by them, almost involuntarily. In my case, the dog bite happened out of the blue and it cost MY insurance over $7000 to repair the damage----we had to sue the dog owner to recover the money. My wife, I know, loses a few years off her life everytime a dog comes running up to her-----------

-------and usually all the owners can say, while laughing, is, "fluffy doesn't bite"-----------give me a break!!!!!

Folks with dogs, pullease keep your dogs restrained!!!!

barry
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 11:16 AM

Gosh, the grocery stores here in Bahia Asuncion have their own dogs.

We do plan on a few dog prints before things are finished. Now that you mention it, lots of prints could be very decorative.

Yea, not everyone likes dogs, and that is OK.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 11:27 AM

Diane-----

WE both love dogs, and have owned several, ------that is NOT the point--------

It is OTHER PEOPLES dogs that we don't know about, and until we have time to make friends with them, from experience we know to be really careful------but what do you do when a dog just rushes up to you barking and growling???? In our case, we lose a few years off our lives, and I don't think that is right-------we should not be subjected to that, I don't think, if it can be avoided by the owners taking the responsibility for their dogs.

OK, I have ranted enough-----------:no:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
At the risk of being stoned, I need to say (I didn't bring up the subject in teh first place), that you dog owners should not assume that other people like your dog as much as you, that they are possibly even fearful of dogs, that barking, growling dogs are an annoyance, that people don't like having their crotches sniffed or having a dog jump at them, that dog poop is just plain obnoxious - anywhere, that leash laws are for everyone - even your dog, that it's really not ok to bring your dog into the grocery store, Target, etc. even if you think they're so cute in your backpack on your back, that listening to someone's baby talk to their dog is like listening to The Simpsons or opera (get me outta here), that dogs chasing birds, squirrels, chipmunks in those animals' own habitat may be fun for your dog, but traumatic for the little animal/bird (in fact animals have starved having had a dog pee next to their hole in the ground because they think a predator is near), and that an untrained, ill-mannered dog is your fault.
Ok - go ahead - I can take it.

Hey! What do you have against the Simpsons! You some kind of angry cartoon-hater? Hate that it hits too close to home when cartoon ridicules you? The Simspon's dog, Santas Little Helper, is an ideal dog.

I like my dog, but I save the dog-baby-talk for home, and I restrain myself from writing in her voice, like loonies on this board who attacked me for pointing out their childishness.

Lap dogs that can fit in your purse for a trip into Target store are not real dogs -- they are like cats, snacks being raised by nice humans for the benefit of the wily coyotes (at least that's the case here in so cal).

When walking in rural areas where you might meet protective snarling dogs that think they own public land or beach, I carry walking stick and swing at charging dog first, ask questions later. Pity the people can't control their dogs, then get upset when people defend themselves.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
I carry walking stick and swing at charging dog first, ask questions later. Pity the people can't control their dogs, then get upset when people defend themselves.

A 9-iron works great.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 02:14 PM

Want to play? Here's Paco!

000_0001 [800x600] [640x480] [640x480].JPG - 45kB

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

I restrain myself from writing in her voice, like loonies on this board who attacked me for pointing out their childishness.

Looney and childish---now that is an opinion I can live with. Guess there are a few of us out here. :lol::lol::lol:

BTW, disagreeing with you, your opinions, and expressing personal thoughts that belong only to us, IMHO, is not an attack.

Diane

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

I restrain myself from writing in her voice, like loonies on this board who attacked me for pointing out their childishness.

Looney and childish---now that is an opinion I can live with. Guess there are a few of us out here. :lol::lol::lol:

BTW, disagreeing with you, your opinions, and expressing personal thoughts that belong only to us, IMHO, is not an attack.

Diane

I guess I can't stay young forever. But, I can choose to be immature for the rest of my life. :P
And my dog will still love me.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
I guess I can't stay young forever. But, I can choose to be immature for the rest of my life. :P

P<*)))><

Paulina, I've been saying almost these exact words since I was 30!! Now I guess I'm REALLY immature for my age:dudette:

And my dog seems fine with it because he's just an old puppy.

Oops, hope I didn't gross out any old (or young) fuddy-duddies with that sentiment:o

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 11:56 PM

The attitudes among different people vary widely - from beloved companions to thit chó. Myself, I haven't had any real problem with any dog that was owned by a tourist. I even like them better than some people. If I did have a problem with them, I know I would have to go to some kind of controlled environment such as a resort in order to keep away from them. Some people don't care for children - there's a place to get away from them too.

When I bring my dog camping, I always introduce my dog to my camp neighbors. I get the vibe really quick. If need be, I'll move. It would be a real shame if there were to be leash laws at the Sea of Cortez beach-camps. Baja is the only place drivable where I can escape Kalifornia as it exists throughout the U.S. It is prohibitively expensive to fly with a dog.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 07:31 AM

Both of my dogs are rescue dogs and both are always on leashes. Mochi is a car(well anything with wheels) chaser and Eta hates other dogs(we have tried every method of socializing her but she just doesnt like other dogs..).
I walk every morning next to the estero and I feel that it is my obligation to make sure that the birds there are not disturbed by dogs chasing them, so they stay on their leashes.
Am I a bad person who has bad dogs.....NO I am a person who understands the responsibility of owning dogs.

That said....I am just a kid at heart who has Mexican mutts that have genes that I dont understand but love anyway.

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 02:50 PM

But, no matter what,

I Didn't do it:(

sorry pup.jpg - 30kB

Air Evacuation go to
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
prefer it here in the North Country where geese and pheasants fall out of the sky.
I don't take mine to Baja but I certainly understand why people do take their dogs with them.

It seems I am either on a boat, in a canyon or in a cantina in Baja and my dogs don't fish, they can't scramble up boulders very well and they are too young to drink......

Good dogs good people, bad dogs bad people?

Nice looking lab.
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 09:13 PM

Vandenberg,
Absolutely he did not do it! He told me so and I believe it!
So what's his name and his story?
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docsmom
Vandenberg,
Absolutely he did not do it! He told me so and I believe it!
So what's his name and his story?

Mom,
No name ,no story.
Was send to me by a friend in an e-mail. Not his dog either. No idea where he did get it.
But it's cute,no?

Air Evacuation go to
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2007 at 11:41 AM

Vandenberg,

That picture should be the poster picture for all rescue organizations-----what a shot!

Diane and John

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.