BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Baja: Not Mexican enough!
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElFaro
When tacos are replaced by mashed potato sandwiches...then I'll be concerned. :lol:
That started happening with some restaurants in Guadalajara in the sixties:rolleyes:
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 03:51 PM

Italy is a country that has maintained their uniqueness and I only saw one McDonalds when I was there.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 04:00 PM

Italy, tho delightful, is expensive. We spent 5 weeks there, and in Sicily, and tho we are bargain hunters (and we found some) generally it was more expensive than the USA. The USA dollar decline did not help.

We loved Italy------everywhere we visited-------Viva Italy.

barry
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 04:24 PM

Hate to burst your bubble, but I saw more McDonalds in Milan than there are in San Francisco.
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 05:14 PM

One of my roofers returned to work after about 6 months back in his home in mainland Mexico. We were sitting talking he pulled out a 500 peso note, said this will buy a pair of work boots back home, pulled out a 100 peso and said this will buy beer, pulled out a 50 peso said this will buy tortillas. Looks like it's getting expensive even in Mexico.
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by memo
Since we moved to Mexico: Walmart, Costco and Home Depot have opened close by. Appleby's, Carls Junior and Burger King weren't far behind. The general population demographics of southern california and northern baja are very similar. Real estate prices in Baja are not far behind prices in california. Restaurant prices in my experience are higher in baja than california. Cost of home electronics are much higher in baja. Can anyone tell me what happened to Mexico? Where did it go?

[Edited on 7-3-2008 by memo]

prices of manufactured (especially electronic) goods have always been higher in mexico; it's the price of labor that was and remains lower than in the good ol' usa.

lili
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Moto-----With all respect, I believe what you say here is just silly. <snip....but to criticise or put-down somebodies thoughts or feelings is not productive in my mind (tho I am doing the same thing, I suppose)

Well, Barry,....your circular thinking seems to make you a bit silly too, it seems. So, we are both in excellent company :lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by memo

Yeah, the US could learn from other cultures. The only problem is, I can't think of any specific examples right off hand. Perhaps you can name one or two countries? ...... Help me out here, Moto, I'm running fresh out of examples. .....In the meantime their quickest path to a good life is a one way trip to the United States of America.

Memo,
I think you and I might be preferring the "old Mexico" to the newer one we see.

But I would encourage you to broaden your view of the planet and not see the USA as its epicentre. France has a superior public medical health system to the US, as do many other countries (Canada, Britain, and Cuba to name a few).

I am not too convinced that the political system in the US is that open....dangling chads and all that. Just because we are inundated with tv images of Obama-Clinton arm-wrestling doesn't mean the show is what we get.

The task isn't for me to try to convince you of anything, necessarily....but, rather, is for you to take off the jingoistic blinders and see what else is going on out there.

Ged

memo
Banned

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 08:15 PM

Ged, Last time I checked Americans were not fleeing across our northern border to Canada, or south to Cuba or east to Britain. Facts seem to suggest the populations of those countries, and most others, migrate here if they have a choice. My father lives in Britain and has been waiting four years for a "free" hip replacement. I'm afraid he will die before he gets it. And that's after paying their astronomical taxes for almost fifty years. Great medical system, Ged. Have you thought about moving to Zimbabwe? Nice strong leader, health care system, and there a "hanging chad" is anyone who didn't vote for Mugabe. Happy Fourth of July.
stanburn
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 08:17 PM

Well, the normal disclaimers apply....Your mileage may vary, not double blind tested....etc.

In my personal opinion it is because of the proximity of the United States. Here in Santiago, Colima, even though there are changes it is nothing like what the OP describes. I would tell you what I paid for my 1600 square foot house in the middle of a mexican neighborhood 5 blocks from the beach, but it would make you want to come here.

Love and kisses!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged[/

But I would encourage you to broaden your view of the planet and not see the USA as its epicentre. France has a superior public medical health system to the US, as do many other countries (Canada, Britain, and Cuba to name a few).

The task isn't for me to try to convince you of anything, necessarily....but, rather, is for you to take off the jingoistic blinders and see what else is going on out there.

Ged

Because I am in the business I have studied the health care delivery systems for years and most assuredly the systems you mention do not even come close to the overall delivery system in the United States. The largest problem is that our perceptions have not changed with the times and we grew up with $5 copays and no deductibles and expect the system to work at that level for everyone. If you want a lithotrope to smash gall stones there are 22 in all of France, 3 in Canada, 1 in Cuba but every little hospital that serves a population over 50,000 people in the US has one. We also have a system where we think it is necessary to sue everyone we can in order to get a free ride to easy street. So we have the best medical care in the entire world, it is just expensive. Due to the Free Enterprise sytem almost all of the medial advances the rest of the world enjoys came about because our system discovered those treatments and cures because of economic reward. Basic care is a whole different issue and when it comes to basic care the forementioned countries do a magnificent job. In a perfect world, (which I would be only too happy to design), we would have that basic care available to everyone at an affordable base but would continue the free market development that has allowed us to be leaders in the world of medicine.

[Edited on 7-4-2008 by Pescador]
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 11:48 PM

Okay,okay....once again I am reminded I know not of what I speak.

I will try to keep more of my myopic opinions to myself, as I am rarely thanked for them.

Ged

Hooker33
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 07:50 AM

Motoged,I'm sorry but on this the 4th of July I can't resist commenting on your condemation of the United States politics and health care.  I have rarely seen any critical comments of Canadian politics on this board, frankly your political situation is none of our business.  I have friends in BC who have come to Washington State for knee replacement because the wonderful socialized medicine in Canada would have them wait for nearly a year for treatment.  The U.S. with all its faults is still hands down the best country in the world, a country where hundreds of thousands attempt to migrate to annually.  And what is the reason for spelling California with a K, is that some kind of put down? Hell, the Blue Jays could not even sweeep the lowly Mariners.:lol: 
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 07:51 AM

Keep talking, Ged! If I had chosen to express my opinion on this thread it would have been pretty much what you wrote. But I'm tired of reading Barry A.'s replies every single time I speak about anything more significant than the weather:lol:

I met a surgical oncologist in Cuba who evaluates a patient's needs and then crafts the tools he need to operate at home in the evening. A doctor friend watched the surgery and said it was amazing. Everyone in Cuba has equal care. In the US a poor mother of 6 just died on a waiting room floor.

So there are problems everywhere, just different problems.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Keep talking, Ged! If I had chosen to express my opinion on this thread it would have been pretty much what you wrote. But I'm tired of reading Barry A.'s replies every single time I speak about anything more significant than the weather:lol:

I met a surgical oncologist in Cuba who evaluates a patient's needs and then crafts the tools he need to operate at home in the evening. A doctor friend watched the surgery and said it was amazing. Everyone in Cuba has equal care. In the US a poor mother of 6 just died on a waiting room floor.

So there are problems everywhere, just different problems.

I think they shut that LA area hospital down for a number of problems similar to the lady dying on the floor. It had a record dating back many years of problems they wouldn't or couldn't fixed. But I did see in the paper where they may open it up again. Will the problems be fixed, we'll see.

I don't think I would care to have a Dr. make his operating tools at home and then use them on me unless it was an absolute emergency. I don't think that would be legal in the US. I'll stick with my United Healthcare policy and my $20 co-pay.
memo
Banned

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 08:55 AM

Paula, A mother of six has never died on the waiting room floor in Cuba, or Canada or Mexico? The difference is in the USA we have a free press who love, by the way, to print ugly news. In Cuba they would imprison the journalist who reported the unfriendly story. In Canada they would print the story two years later, when the victim's body finally made it to the front of the line.
memo
Banned

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 09:02 AM

Hey Paula, Here's one handy solution to irksome reporters:

Seventh Mexican journalist murdered this year
November 23, 2006 7:51 AM
Mexico has become the world'ssecond-most dangerous country for the press (after Iraq) with this week's murder of Roberto Marcos García, the deputy editor of the weekly Testimonio, in the eastern state of Vera Cruz. He was the third journalist to be killed this month in Mexico and the seventh since the start of the year. García was knocked off his motorcycle and shot six times. His daughter said he had recently been the target of threats. (Via Reporters without Borders)
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 10:05 AM

Memo,
I am not condemning the USA....I just don't like some aspects of your politics. I do believe that your and my country are great places to live, and am not suggesting you or anyone move here, to Cuba, or some dictatorship-led podunk place on the planet.

I take the risk of making comments on this forum despite what appears to be a predominance of right-wing commentaries. In my world, "liberalism" is not an insult, but an indication of a position on the political (human) spectrum that suggests that not everyone supports a conservative one.

Sometimes my views are quite conservative, but I appreciate my flexibility of thinking.

I love the Old Mexico....utilize the New Mexico....and think that Baja fish tacos are WAY better than ones I have had anywhere on mainland Mexico (I obviously need to eat at ALL coastal points along the mainland....enjoying the warmth of the culture, trying to avoid dangerous situations (eg. the mayonaise at hot-dog stands).

Happy Fourth of July....I hope you get to see some good fireworks.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 10:15 AM

Ever read about someone diving into water that was too shallow and ending up with a broken neck?:?:That's a liberal. A conservative will check and make sure the water is deep enough to dive into. :yes:If you're gonna dive off a bridge, be sure about the depth.:D
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
A conservative will check and make sure the water is deep enough to dive into.

And then still will jump feet first just to make sure.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.