Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Border Crossing - Passports no longer needed
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-8-2008 at 02:13 PM

I find it interesting how this relatively small group of foreign travelers is so conversant on the subject of travel documents. It is also curious that folks like tie-dye, and Ken suffer from having TOO MANY stamps on their passports, and we have someone stating that they are ready to be President of the USA who still has eight and a half years left on her very first passport. Is there anyone else who thinks that visiting other countries and learning about their cultures has broadened their world view? Has it changed you in any way? Is there a personal growth component to traveling abroad?

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2008 at 07:47 PM

I am shocked as well DK Take your BS to off-topic
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-8-2008 at 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndoIs there anyone else who thinks that visiting other countries and learning about their cultures has broadened their world view? Has it changed you in any way? Is there a personal growth component to traveling abroad?

Thanks for clarifying the topic, David. This comment went completely over my head. Personally, I hope our friend in AK stays put.

As for learning about cultures, to me, Baja has provided mainly a place for leisure and "Getting away from it all" from a short distance from the USA. I have seen Europe about 3 times, but Central and South America has a beauty and a soul that calls for repeated exploration. Something you don't find here in the US. Seeing exactly how others live, observing their family units, how people survive while doing without - their virtues, their vices - has shown me how solid and secure our way of life here in the United States is.

dao45
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2008 at 09:36 PM

Can anyone tell me how to get into the off topic section?Someone did once but the pass word didnt work?
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-8-2008 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dao45
Can anyone tell me how to get into the off topic section?Someone did once but the pass word didnt work?

over18 is the password

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I am shocked as well DK Take your BS to off-topic

Hmmm, if you look again you will see I was responding with some balance to what was posted BEFORE: "...and we have someone stating that they are ready to be President of the USA who still has eight and a half years left on her very first passport"

Doesn't that belong in off topic, too?

Fair is fair, right?:yes:;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Just get the friggin passport. :rolleyes:

Whether or not it's a requirement now, eventually it will.

I have failed to understand the thousands of words on the is forum about passports.

I have carried a US passport since I was eighteen years old.

Never considered it a problem .....

And if you enjoy traveling the world, as I do, it is unthinkable to not have one.

All I can deduce from this is the vast majority of the posters on this forum never go anywhere except La Baja.

So, get a passport already and quit crying like a bunch of babies.

CaboRon

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I think that is great to have seen the world as long as you recognize that America is the shining light of hope and freedom in the world and...

DK, your blatant nationalism is showing thru. Also, another thing showing is your lack of overseas experience, if you had such experience you would find that some countries in fact do some things better than USA. (oops, such blasphemy!)

Also, get out a bit, and you may learn that calling the USA "America" is sort of short sighted and self-centered (aren't us "Americans" by definition short sighted and self-centered?). Lot's of other "americans" out there in the lands of North, Central and South America.

I always like it when DK brings up politics, as he is invariably wrong and muddle headed,.. see you in OT, DK :lol:
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

I think that is great to have seen the world as long as you recognize that America is the shining light of hope and freedom in the world and...

DK, your blatant nationalism is showing thru. Also, another thing showing is your lack of overseas experience, if you had such experience you would find that some countries in fact do some things better than USA. (oops, such blasphemy!)

Also, get out a bit, and you may learn that calling the USA "America" is sort of short sighted and self-centered (aren't us "Americans" by definition short sighted and self-centered?). Lot's of other "americans" out there in the lands of North, Central and South America.

I always like it when DK brings up politics, as he is invariably wrong and muddle headed,.. see you in OT, DK :lol:

I have also felt that DK's travel experience is extreemly limited.

And DK, you can stuff your myopic politics.

CaboRon

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 01:07 PM

Don't you guys realize passports are a way of traking you. Listen to Davidk, he is obviously well educated in these matters.

Love it or leave it!!!!!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
Don't you guys realize passports are a way of traking you. Listen to Davidk, he is obviously well educated in these matters.

Love it or leave it!!!!!

not when i "where" my tin foil hat with the spinning blade on top!

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

eureka.gif posted on 10-9-2008 at 02:49 PM
Passports:

What's the problem? If it is or will be required, you must have it or the ID card. Sure it is used to track you. That is the age we live in. Big Brother already knows your every move and it is cross referenced in so many ways that it renders a fear of tracking, when you cross the border, a moot point.

I don't like being tracked either, but to resist getting the passport greatly isolates you. In isolation you can live smugly, in your "better than.." attitude and write love letters to Pat Buchannan and Lou Dodds, but you would miss out on the rich cultures of the world. Of course, what you don't know, you don't know! Ignorance is bliss, lazy and a cop out. By the way, I have had a passport for 50 years. All the renewals have many stamps. The word "Passport" is just that...your pass into and out of ports.

It is true that your treatment is subject to the whim and mood of the individual ICE agent, but I have nothing to hide and if I get a rude one, which rarely happens, it is because they are having a bad day...not me. True, they can cause you to have a bad day, but that depends on your mouth. Keep it zipped and be respectful.

I have been sent to Secondary several times. I think all of them are because I tow a passenger trailer. Until I bought it a few years ago, I was never sent to Secondary. Even so, the agents in Secondary have always been friendly and the search takes less than five minutes.

Now if I wanted to get really paranoid, I would worry about Homeland Security snatching me and rendering me to an undisclosed location, never to be heard of again because of something I may have said in this forum. That is a possibility, projecting current trends by the Bush Administration, but we are not there yet. I am a good American and so far, my opinions are protected by the First Amendment.

In conclusion, a passport is a facilitator and an ID that confirms that I am a free person, sanctioned by the government of The United States, to travel wherever it is legal to do so, and be welcomed back home again. :)

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
What's the problem? If it is or will be required, you must have it or the ID card. Sure it is used to track you. That is the age we live in. Big Brother already knows your every move and it is cross referenced in so many ways that it renders a fear of tracking, when you cross the border, a moot point.

I don't like being tracked either, but to resist getting the passport greatly isolates you. In isolation you can live smugly, in your "better than.." attitude and write love letters to Pat Buchannan and Lou Dodds, but you would miss out on the rich cultures of the world. Of course, what you don't know, you don't know! Ignorance is bliss, lazy and a cop out. By the way, I have had a passport for 50 years. All the renewals have many stamps. The word "Passport" is just that...your pass into and out of ports.

It is true that your treatment is subject to the whim and mood of the individual ICE agent, but I have nothing to hide and if I get a rude one, which rarely happens, it is because they are having a bad day...not me. True, they can cause you to have a bad day, but that depends on your mouth. Keep it zipped and be respectful.

I have been sent to Secondary several times. I think all of them are because I tow a passenger trailer. Until I bought it a few years ago, I was never sent to Secondary. Even so, the agents in Secondary have always been friendly and the search takes less than five minutes.

Now if I wanted to get really paranoid, I would worry about Homeland Security snatching me and rendering me to an undisclosed location, never to be heard of again because of something I may have said in this forum. That is a possibility, projecting current trends by the Bush Administration, but we are not there yet. I am a good American and so far, my opinions are protected by the First Amendment.

In conclusion, a passport is a facilitator and an ID that confirms that I am a free person, sanctioned by the government of The United States, to travel wherever it is legal to do so, and be welcomed back home again. :)

POST OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 03:55 PM

Yes and just another freedom given up. Pretty soon we will be just like Mexico and fighting all the Narcos. Getting back to Baja, the reason we don't have to show passports right now is to allow all our dollars to flow south.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

LOL... America, America, I love America...

Let's see... countries/ territories of the world I have set foot upon, toured, lived in, etc. (besides the U.S. and Mexico): Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, Egypt, Greece, Italy, Vatican City, Switzerland, Germany (West), Luxemburg, France, United Kingdom (England), Canada (BC)... In addition, I lived and went to school in Australia for 6 months... where I learned the importance of America to the free world and how fortunate I was to be born there.

I didn't say anything negative about other countries or that they do not do things as good as us... too much smoke in your eyes mt.goat?

Another time I bet you won't apologize for being wrong?

Edit typo for Switzerland

[Edited on 10-10-2008 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 06:02 PM

Switzedland.........wonder if that's where the Swizzle Stick was invented????

robrt8
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 06:06 PM

Of course get a passport, by all means.
But if it's forgotten, or someone somehow finds them self without SOB, let it be known that you will not be turned back if you have an ID or otherwise appear as an Anglo who can speak without an accent.
Dutch and Swedish people, pay attention!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K[/Ken, when you quoted Perry... you left out some of his words?:

I've carried a passport since I was 15.

Amsterdam at 16 rocked!! :bounce:

As for the election, let the best man win! :light:

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 08:15 AM

Is it still ok to produce a drivers license and original birth certificate when crossing back to the US?

It's been so long since I didn't have a passport and friends are coming today without a PP.

Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lizard lips  
Is it still ok to produce a drivers license and original birth certificate when crossing back to the US?

It's been so long since I didn't have a passport and friends are coming today without a PP.

Thanks

Wow, way to bring up a thread that is 7 years old Dan!!

Americans cannot be denied entry back into their own country... proving they're Americans is easiest done with a passport or passport card. It is up to the border officer to send you to secondary to better prove your citizenship if he is not convinced by your words or other IDs. I have family members who had no issues at all coming back to the U.S. without a passport or birth certificate the past few years. They apparently do a great job looking and sounding like American citizens?

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.