BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Hawaiian food vs. Mexican food
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 07:25 PM

It's nice being in paradise, the scenery as Barry says is spectacular, especially on the Big Island...as in any place you need to keep busy doing something...the water is warm and unlike So Cal water which is a bit frigid for my taste, Hawaii water is alot clearer and warmer.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 07:42 PM
DR. ENS

HOLA,,NOT IN THE FRESH WATER SCENE!!!! K&T
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
It's nice being in paradise, the scenery as Barry says is spectacular, especially on the Big Island...as in any place you need to keep busy doing something...the water is warm and unlike So Cal water which is a bit frigid for my taste, Hawaii water is alot clearer and warmer.

Yep, Doc, you are right. When on the Big Island we normally stay in Capt. Cook at the Manago Hotel, great food with reasonbly priced food, and the most friendly people--------nothing not to like. We go down to "2-step" right by the "City of Refuge" (that used to be the name, anyway) for our great snorkeling and swimming and turtle viewing, or up to the remote beaches north of Kona proper.

Don't get me wrong, the western USA is incredible, but Hawaii is nice every once in a while for a change of atmosphere and scenery. We mostly stay away from the crowds and resorts.

Barry
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 07:55 PM
BARRY

HOLA,,CAPT COOK HAS A LARGE SANTA CRUZ.CA. POP/FOLKS AND THE MOLAKII CHANNEL IS ..............SNOOTY FOR A CROSSING..BUT ITS A NICE PLACE TO VISIT AND ALSO THE RAIN FOREST OR IN HILO THE TUSAMINA CENTER!!! AND HOT ,HOT MOVING LAVA FLOW !! K&T:cool:

[Edited on 8-19-2012 by captkw]
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by maspacifico
I like Lion Coffee and if I could buy it here I would....but then I would be giving up Combat. After living on Maui for 18 years and seeing all the stuff they put in the ground you couldn't pay me to eat a pineapple, but I'm sure the Mexican varieties are organic. And the scenery just sucked.... Doc....you will adapt if you want. Aloha

Lion Coffee has at least 2 shops in San Diego that sell their products...coffee and tea.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 08:23 PM

http://www.lioncoffee.com/

jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

how about a shameless plug for rosarito's newest bithin hawaiian sports bar. at K36 1/2 stop in and say hi to herbie,chris, and rosarito's most famous bar keep, javier.
truly this is a nice,nice spot!:bounce:

Location is nice and they did a little work to fix up the outside with truckloads of beach sand and putting in horseshoe pits and a volleyball court. But they have a band on Friday nights that plays SUPER loud even though there is only a handful of people there. The singer (shouter) is truly horrid. Worst Band Ever

Saturdays, they had an equally off pitch female who thinks she can sing like Sade...guess again. "Had" is the optimal word here.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 05:49 AM

San Diego and Rosarito are a little too far to go for coffee from the East Cape, but thanks. Slightly puzzled about the "fresh water" comments about Hawaii. Does anyone go there to sit in lakes? Beautiful, just got too crowded for me.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 06:22 AM

I have a feeling that local Hawaiian ripe-from-the-field pineapple is as good as it is from Playa Azul, Michoacan the home of México's pineapples. When it is in season the nearby market town of La Mira has vendors selling 2 large pineapples, ripe, for 15 pesos (yes, for 2). On the other hand, Zihuatanejo brags about its local coffee. Mahogany color. Tastes like mahogany sawdust steeped in ditch water.

Is there a chance that the three times I have sampled Hawaiian "Kona Coffee" were bogus? Coffee labeled "Kona" but diluted or even falsified labeling?

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 08:04 AM

After living on Maui for 18 years and seeing all the stuff they put in the ground you couldn't pay me to eat a pineapple

Bob Durrell
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 12:52 AM

Redondo's Hawaiian Hot Dogs...Yep that's what I had for dinner last night. Now I am no amateur when I comes to Hot Dogs, born in the Empire State, I know what a good beef hot dog is, but the taste of the RED hot dogs that signify those delicious Hawaiian Hot Dogs is amazing. I put it on the gas grille, or you can easily microwave it for 2 minutes, and with mustard and relish on a bun, the taste is amazing. And they are very reasonable. I also found a brand of bottled curry that has 3 different blends. I tried the madras tonight, with chicken, very easy and very flavorful. They also have a Mango chutney. So, maybe my next venture will be how to eat in Hawaii on a budget...Aloha to you all!!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Redondo's Hawaiian Hot Dogs...Yep that's what I had for dinner last night. Now I am no amateur when I comes to Hot Dogs, born in the Empire State, I know what a good beef hot dog is, but the taste of the RED hot dogs that signify those delicious Hawaiian Hot Dogs is amazing. I put it on the gas grille, or you can easily microwave it for 2 minutes, and with mustard and relish on a bun, the taste is amazing. And they are very reasonable. I also found a brand of bottled curry that has 3 different blends. I tried the madras tonight, with chicken, very easy and very flavorful. They also have a Mango chutney. So, maybe my next venture will be how to eat in Hawaii on a budget...Aloha to you all!!

Mango chutney on genuine Hawaiian Spam = a great budget meal. Ever wonder why the unwanted stuff we get on our computers is called SPAM?

Bob Durrell
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 10:31 AM

Seems you don't like anything much about Hawaii. Sorry about that Bob. I don't eat Mango chutney on Spam. Rice might be a healthier choice, and just as tasty. I am sure you have your junk food addictions as well. Hawaiians just have a penchant for Spam left over from WWII.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 10:35 AM
Fertilizing the fields...

When I worked in Zorillo, just a few miles from you Bob, every day the streams from the overflowing septic tanks would form a mini lake on the main road into town that would cause your tires to splash in the aguas negras. It had a pretty unpleasant odor, as you can imagine, but I am sure irrigated the local crops along the way. Complaining to the city public works department did no good. They aren't planning on sewage drainage there for a long time.
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
After living on Maui for 18 years and seeing all the stuff they put in the ground you couldn't pay me to eat a pineapple
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 11:18 AM

Ensenada Dr.

The stores over there (according to friends) sell jars of Japanese and Chinese mixed condiments to add to rice before it is cooked. Includes baby shrimp, seaweed, and lots of herbs and spices. You might want to check it out.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 12:17 PM

EnsenadaDr, Been to Maui and the big island for short visits. My daughter was married on Maui. Have spent more time in Baja(Mulege), a really neat place with lots of friendly people. A dream come true would be to have a place in Hana on Maui, fish and explore.;D
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
EnsenadaDr, Been to Maui and the big island for short visits. My daughter was married on Maui. Have spent more time in Baja(Mulege), a really neat place with lots of friendly people. A dream come true would be to have a place in Hana on Maui, fish and explore.;D

Almost as good-------an alternative---------we rented a place just outside of Hana for several days for $123 a night, fully furnished and appointed, and farily near the water. My son rented a house right on HANA bay for about $200 a night--------there are some great deals like this, and you don't have any worries about maintaining the place when not there.

Sure works for us.

Barry
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 12:43 PM

I visited Hawaii for the first time recently and had a good (not too pricey) time. I was there in February, maybe not the peak season, but successfully evaded the tourists by traveling independently, staying in smaller guest houses (usually around $100 a night) and checking out the famous sites before the tourist buses arrived and after they left.

I'd go back in a heartbeat, though there was a resentment / distaste toward mainlanders that I found quite palpable. I think it would be hard to move there and fit in.

Haleakala Observatory

Kiluea Caldera as Dawn Breaks

Copse of Palm Trees

I miss the poke and spam & eggs :)

[Edited on 2012-8-20 by WideAngleWandering]
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 01:36 PM

Ensenada Dr
Please check your U2u
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 01:49 PM

poke!!!;D Yummy! And a little seaweed on the side.:lol:
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.