Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
DENNIS - the original post says they were runnig around yelling in English

and

the title is PLEASE DON'T BE A JERK when you visit another country.

and in thinking it over - it is so rude to block someone's car in, even if only for a moment. just plain ole rude. so, I agree with you all on that.
AHAA! running around yelling in english! obviously a lot of limey hooligans probably from liverpool! and you're ready to blame americans! shame on you.:o

Or Canadians?:lol::lol:
Nemo55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 08:27 AM

Ayyyyyyyy!!!

I'm not even in the country yet!!! Typical; Liverpudlians get blamed for everything !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
DENNIS - the original post says they were runnig around yelling in English

and

the title is PLEASE DON'T BE A JERK when you visit another country.

and in thinking it over - it is so rude to block someone's car in, even if only for a moment. just plain ole rude. so, I agree with you all on that.
AHAA! running around yelling in english! obviously a lot of limey hooligans probably from liverpool! and you're ready to blame americans! shame on you.:o
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 07:25 PM

You have to remember only Americans speak english. Maybe they were on the way to the airport, (fishing boat, hospital, etc) and were cutting it close on time, don't judge untill you are in their shoes.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
You have to remember only Americans speak english. Maybe they were on the way to the airport, (fishing boat, hospital, etc) and were cutting it close on time, don't judge untill you are in their shoes.
:?:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 12:00 AM

Yah, really... I could have sworn English is also spoken in ...

CANADA
AUSTRALIA
NEW ZEALAND
SOUTH AFRICA
IRELAND
BELIZE
JAMAICA
BAHAMAS
Several other Caribbean nations
Oh, and the UNITED KINGDOM (incl. ENGLAND) :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 04:53 AM

66 countries speak English:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_where_English...
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

What language is the word "Yah"?

Yeah, I know, spelling cop, couldn't pass it up though.

I've been blocked in a couple of times in small busy parking lots and each time the person was close by, would see me, and run out to move his/her car. Seems to be an acceptable thing to do in Mex. Sort of like the old double parking that used to go on in the US.

[Edited on 9-7-2012 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 07:27 AM

World English Dictionary

culture clash

— n
a conflict arising from the interaction of people with different cultural values
-----------------------------------------
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 07:36 AM

However, I think America is the only English speaking country that doesn't speak the Kings English, ask my friend from England! Guaranteed if you took a representative from all 66 English speaking countries and put them in a single room and asked someone who does not speak English to pick out the American, it would be easy, we all sound a bit different.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 07:41 AM

HEADLINE on newspaper in Belize City

"DE NEW BRIDGE OPEN"

I paid 30 cents Bz for the paper and kept the front page until it yellowed and turned brittle.

Lineup of Mexican placard cars waiting in workday rush hour...

"Give them an inch and they'll take it" :)

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 08:15 PM

Quote:

CANADA
AUSTRALIA
NEW ZEALAND
SOUTH AFRICA
IRELAND
BELIZE
JAMAICA
BAHAMAS

I was being sarcastic,
She said frat boys indicating what? You expressed my sentiments exactly, maybe not americans. And have you ever been in a hurry and been held up by someone doing something illegal? You just don't get it, and you never have.

[Edited on 9-8-2012 by 805gregg]
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 08:41 PM

Nahhh! They all talk funny!

Quote:

CANADA
AUSTRALIA
NEW ZEALAND
SOUTH AFRICA
IRELAND
BELIZE
JAMAICA
BAHAMAS
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 09:30 PM

So, there was a bus double-parked on a public road.
It was blocking a pickup.
There was a funeral procession.
Anybody else considered the connection?
The bus was pulled over to allow the funeral cars to pass.
Yes, the driver had exited the bus for a moment, but... he returned in a timely manner.

This is Baja.
Its kinda laid-back.
Things work differently down here including that folks are almost always kind to one another.
It really never pays to get one's knickers twisted. Not an effective motivator.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

You have got to be kidding. Please....tell me you're kidding.
The bus drivers behavior was self-serving and rude. Why would you go to such extremes to excuse that?
What about the popular technique of running stop signs, or hit 'n run? Because it happens here, is it alright?
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 9-8-2012 at 05:08 AM

Quote:

CANADA
AUSTRALIA
NEW ZEALAND
SOUTH AFRICA
IRELAND
BELIZE
JAMAICA
BAHAMAS

I can understand Spanish better than I can understand the English spoken in those countries (I have been to about half of the ones on your list)
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 9-8-2012 at 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
The bus drivers behavior was self-serving and rude. Why would you go to such extremes to excuse that?
What about the popular technique of running stop signs, or hit 'n run? Because it happens here, is it alright?

No, it is not alright, but I have come to accept it. At this time, I am a guest in their country. I didn't come here to change Mexican culture. I came here to enjoy Baja culture and society. It is their country and I respect the culture they created even though I don't always agree. If that society starts to annoy me to the point that I become unhappy, I will just pack up and move someplace else.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2012 at 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

You have got to be kidding. Please....tell me you're kidding.

This happened in Ensenada or another metro area?
I will concede that in a city with multiple lanes a funeral procession can occupy one lane or use side-streets.

Was considering how it goes in the smaller villages. First, no public bus. Second, such as in Mulege there's only one system of single-lane one-way road through town. Third, people do wait alongside the road for the procession to pass. They just do, out of respect or because they're boxed in, the town as a whole slows waaay down during a funeral, wedding, parade or political or religious procession or just because somebody wants to quickly say something to somebody else.

A couple months ago while driving through town I accidentally got in the middle of a presidential election car-rally. Nowhere to go but onward I got over my initial embarrasment, smiled and waved with everybody else until I got to my destination and turned off the maindrag and out of the conga line.

Yes, not good of a bus driver to abandon his bus, but "why" remains unanswered.
Rude of anybody, tourist or local, to create an obnoxious fuss about it.
No sense getting your panties all twisted.

[Edited on 9-8-2012 by Mulegena]

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2012 at 07:15 AM

Nobody knows what the bus driver was doing or why he blocked a car. Sounds like he was working, doing business, maybe ran in to get a soda. Whatever he was thinking, ''self serving'' and ''rude'' are gringo attitudes. I'm betting if 10 local Mexicans were asked about the bus driver's attitude, I seriously doubt self serving and rude would come up.

It wasn't like the car was pinned for an hour.

I'd say to the kids -- a little more patience, this isn't worth getting upset about. The bus driver was wrong but not that wrong. The kids were way out of line.

I'm not siding with the bus driver here. I think white people, generally, lack respect for Mexicans who they see as inferior and uneducated. This is a broad stroke. Not all white people are like that. I see a lot of that attitude, though, in Baja.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2012 at 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
No, it is not alright, but I have come to accept it.

It's hardly a matter of acceptance as it is one of supporting and encouraging it...as you and many others here seem to do.
I accept "what is" as well, but I don't have to agree with rudeness , bullying and the "might is right" attitude that underlies this behavior.
Nor do I have to label this deviant behavior as a "cultural trait." Ask a Mexican if these are cultural traits and see what you get in reply.

Quote:

At this time, I am a guest in their country.

You probably are.....but I'm not. I'm legal here and nobody invited me. Guests are invited. Who invited you?

Quote:
I didn't come here to change Mexican culture.

Your mere presence here changes their culture, but you're too self-rightous to see how you sit here passing judgement on the fibers in the weave of what you perceive as "their culture." What do you know of their culture that doesn't have a price tag on it!

[Edited on 9-8-2012 by DENNIS]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-8-2012 at 07:40 AM

sure seems like a lot of debate about a minor event involving a rude bus driver and a couple rude youth.

if you are interested, yesterday on I-8 i was merging onto hwy, coming up to speed, and someone speeding along to next exit ramp had to slow for me, and he flipped me off. he looked like a latino!
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.