Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  8
Author: Subject: Going Vegan....
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I have friends that are vegan... certainly takes discipline to achieve a proper diet.
I just can't give up fish, though... not happening.

Achieving a "proper diet" is much more difficult when you eat dead animal flesh, salivary glands, lymph nodes, the remnants of hen periods, and drink secretions from cow udders.

Fish might be less toxic, but stay away from farmed fish and consider mercury levels and the quality of the water they lived in.

Eating just plants is a very easy thing to do. When I'm tempted by a cheeseburger, they taste great, I think of the cruelty, the suffering, the crying, the screaming, the SLAUGHTER. The desire goes away.

[Edited on 9-22-2012 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
And Dennis, why are you of all people, making fun of me here? You should be the last one.

Hypersensitive boolcrap from one who would kill for a steak dinner at Sano's.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 10:52 AM

I don't think I would kill for a steak at Sano's, I can afford my own steaks because certain people were too cheap to ever take me there. Putting that aside, I have eaten one steak in the past three weeks, and I am trying to change my eating habits. No one is perfect. I would like to get ideas from people here on healthy eating with an emphasis on Mexican cooking. Maybe you don't care, but I do. In fact, I wanted others' opinions of the vegan diet.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
And Dennis, why are you of all people, making fun of me here? You should be the last one.

Hypersensitive boolcrap from one who would kill for a steak dinner at Sano's.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 10:54 AM

Nurse a gator back to health and what does he do......

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 11:00 AM
EXACTLY DAVID...you hit the nail on the head!!

NUFF SAID!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Nurse a gator back to health and what does he do......

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 11:05 AM

30 bananas a day, that's a lot of peeling. This might help.

http://www.austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2012-09-19/442...

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 11:07 AM

As someone who just had his gallbladder removed I'm interested in this subject. I would think ceviche is one of the best and easily available meals in baja. You get lots of protein from fish and vitamins and minerals from vegetables. And virtually no fat. Trouble is it's too acidic as everyday food.

Most baja restaurant food is really high in fat but that's true up here as well. Fat just tastes good.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 11:12 AM

Ceviche is wonderful. Some people put oil in it, which would be the only source of empty calories. I was wondering if anyone had some variations of some Mexican meals that were low fat. For instance, I love Chile rellenos, I try to avoid the cheese and take most of the breading off when eating them.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:
I have friends that are vegan... certainly takes discipline to achieve a proper diet.
I just can't give up fish, though... not happening.

Achieving a "proper diet" is much more difficult when you eat dead animal flesh, salivary glands, lymph nodes, the remnants of hen periods, and drink secretions from cow udders.

Fish might be less toxic, but stay away from farmed fish and consider mercury levels and the quality of the water they lived in.

Eating just plants is a very easy thing to do. When I'm tempted by a cheeseburger, they taste great, I think of the cruelty, the suffering, the crying, the screaming, the SLAUGHTER. The desire goes away.

Easy for most. My family has some serious nut and fruit allergies as well as soy.

We eat meat, fish and tons of fruit and vegetables.
We also strive to eat as close to 100% organic as possible.... meats, everything....
Sheesh, tonight we'll be eating wild caught jurel and albacore tacos in an all organic, homemade mayonnaise/Italian dressing marinade with homemade organic beans and the same with an all organic Spanish rice...
I think that beats the hell out of GMO soy turkey.
I have these same vegan friends that don't even know the sources of all their soy protein, they have no idea if what they is is GMO, clueless in other words... they've switched one poison for another.
:cool:

Yes, but like I said, the main objective of veganism is animal rights, not diet. You achieve being a vegan, mainly, by not eating animals. I would be a vegan even if there were no health benefits. The real debate is the extension of human rights to all animals, which has been going on for a long time. See my quotes below.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 11:26 AM

Sorry but I have to disagree. Bill Clinton is doing it because he had to have another angioplasty after bypass surgery. I have seen documentaries that my son sent me on people with diabetes wanting a cure so they start eating vegan. I hear even plants scream when you cut them.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 11:29 AM

Well, you're new to veganism. Many people are vegan because of the healthful side-effects. The main objective of the vegan movement is animal rights.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 11:39 AM

Bill Clinton is on a unique diet, largely promoted by Dr Esselstyn at the Cleveland Clinic. It eliminates ALL fats, even vegetable oils. Plus he eats a protein powder. I have no idea about that stuff.

Dr. Esselstyn claims to have proved he can reverse heart disease with his diet. He first started many years ago at the Cleveland Clinic, a highly respected hospital, with patients the cardiologists had written off as hopelessly sick with heart disease. He reversed the disease and kept them alive.

deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 11:41 AM

Great post but it's all wrong!

Listen to Gary Taubes or get the book Why we get fat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUspjZG-wc

Saturated fat is not the problem is the tortillas and grains!

No disrespect to doctors, how many semesters of nutrition do they get in med school.

Pill pushing is considered medicine, lipitor, zantac, for the rest of your life, really! Any side effects.

Here is a funny comparison.

http://blisstree.com/look/nigella-lawson-karan-diwan-gillian...

GL

[Edited on 9-22-2012 by deportes]

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 11:46 AM

Some thoughts from a non-expert:

Vegetarians need to understand where their protein and complete nutrition is coming from and build a complex diet to meet their needs. Interestingly, spirulina is a high protein algae that has a long history in Mexico City and Lake Texcoco, and is an excellent source of protein as a nutritional supplement for vegetarians. Of course supplements may be less likely to be processed efficiently by your body as whole foods, so one must manage the steps or stages of diet to increase benefits.

For example, nowadays everyone is saying you should drink lots of water, divide your body weight in lbs in half and times that by ounces, 200lbs = 100 ounces of water daily. But if you drink too much water while eating you might be changing the acidity of your stomach and are less able to process nutrition.

It's actually quite difficult to build a complete vegetarian diet from a typical grocery store, and more often requires huge effort to source the broad diet required to meet nutritional requirements.

On a similar note, candida intestinal bacteria overgrowth is apparently a problem for some people whose diet may have too much wheat, sugar, soy, beer and coffee among other things. For those with acid reflux issues, you might check into intestinal candidiasis and the candida diet, to reduce factors that create an environment for yeast to overproduce.

http://www.functionalmedicine.org/.../ifm_Can_Diet_090203.pd...

Also vegans and raw food enthusiasts need to be aware of risk of parasites with eating unwashed fresh food.

For vegetarians, vegans, or anyone, it important to keep a food diary and analyze your nutrition and look for ways to have a balanced and complete diet. One product I found for keeping a food diary is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ which is free, and there are others, to track diet, exercise, calories and nutrition.

[Edited on 9-22-2012 by gnukid]
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 11:58 AM

I have been a partial vegetarian for many years. It was a decision for ethical and health reasons. What I have learned is that you can not cook or eat the same foods as you did as a flesh eater. We eat organic tofu, beans, nuts, grains, veggies, fruit, fish and lots and lots of spices. I do not like eating fish or any other living creatures but it is unavoidable at times. Anyone who has been to a feed lot or an abattoir and not been seriously affected by the suffering, fear and death of the animals is lacking in human emotions.
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
If humans were ment to be vegans, they would have a digestive system like bovines and not have Canine/Cuspid teeth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tviyAIS9c_U
too funny, the salon is having beef tips for steak night this month, so this film fits and makes you laugh!:spingrin:
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 12:12 PM

I went Paleo on May 1st and have lost 50lbs and have maintained that loss. It's not that difficult to do in Baja. Tacos Recreo in Maneadero is very understanding of my new way of eating. They see me coming with my own bowl and fork and they fix me right up. Granted, its not grass fed beef, but they do cut the grasa off for me. The guac is sin mayonesa. No beans as they are legumes. I got used to missing the tortillas as I don't miss the gut bomb feeling afterwards. Man, my mouth is watering as I type.

Here's our Paleo scallops from last summer. Fresh from the sea that day, olive oil, cilantro and lime. (more drooling)

I'm working on our Paleo Thanksgiving list for Ensenada now.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 12:15 PM

Paulina, that looks estupendo!
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 12:16 PM
Thank you Paulina.

Very interesting diet, never heard of it before. My son tries to emphasize the fact that first man never ate meat, which this diet disputes after I researched it. Thanks for the info!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I went Paleo on May 1st and have lost 50lbs and have maintained that loss. It's not that difficult to do in Baja. Tacos Recreo in Maneadero is very understanding of my new way of eating. They see me coming with my own bowl and fork and they fix me right up. Granted, its not grass fed beef, but they do cut the grasa off for me. The guac is sin mayonesa. No beans as they are legumes. I got used to missing the tortillas as I don't miss the gut bomb feeling afterwards. Man, my mouth is watering as I type.

Here's our Paleo scallops from last summer. Fresh from the sea that day, olive oil, cilantro and lime. (more drooling)

I'm working on our Paleo Thanksgiving list for Ensenada now.

P>*)))>{
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-22-2012 at 12:18 PM
YEAH! ANIMAL RIGHTS!

MAN IS SUCH A *BEAST* USING ELECTRIC HAMMERS AND HIGH TECHNOLOGY TO SLAUGHTER POOR LITTLE DEFENSELESS, INNOCENT DOE EYED ANIMALS! THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES! IN CONTRAST NATURE IS "NATURAL" THEREFORE "KINDER AND MORE GENTLE.

"PASS THE @#$%^&^%!! CARROTS PLEASE

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.