Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: TECATE COPS.....AT IT AGAIN
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 11:12 AM

I drove through Tecate on Sunday around noon, headed south.
A motorcycle cop passed me by for a Mexican non-stopper.
I had a sailboat on my roof, pretty obvious tourist, but I really stop at ALL the stop signs and don't go over 40 Kph until I'm WAY out of town.
Yeah, I may block traffic, but I don't pay any fines.
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 12:12 PM

Not to digress but last week I was pulled over in La Paz for running the non-existent stop sign. After years of Constitution I knew the drill so just sat in the car and wouldn't move. I asked to go to the station but it was "closed". The only thing that freaked me a little bit was that the cop came back and started swinging his handcuffs around; that was a first. But he let me go after a few minutes. I did get a little nervous when I saw the cuffs, I must admit.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 12:43 PM

They have their act down pat. Older folks can start rubbing their left shoulder and chest and start wincing. This usually scares the living bejesus out of them and they spin their tires leaving.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I was stopped by a m/c cop when I made a (safe) turn during the confusion of the new border location, to get to the correct street, what was it, 7 years ago?

10 or 11 yrs ago. But who's counting? :lol:

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
10 or 11 yrs ago. But who's counting? :lol:

Doesn't seem like that far back.. I'm saying seven years.....trying to think of what I was driving at the time....and I think I do. Burned up a clutch on the border fence hill in the little pickup I just gave to my worker.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 05:16 PM

This is a great one to remember!

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
They have their act down pat. Older folks can start rubbing their left shoulder and chest and start wincing. This usually scares the living bejesus out of them and they spin their tires leaving.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

"This is the big one! I'm coming to join you Elizabeth!"
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 05:52 PM

:lol::lol::lol: you just dumb son,you just dumb. :lol::lol::lol: rip red!
Humboldt Chris and Robin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 06:44 PM

We went through Tecate last week, Nov 1st early afternoon. No problems and we have never had any problems in Tecate - even with a knife in the console and a dog in our lap (the issues from the long running Tecate posts of the past).

The only place in Mexico I had a problem was Cancun, and the hysterical spouse trick did it right!
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 12:52 PM
My turn..

I hope this is not to long but I want you read this information.

I had read the starting post of this thread right before we headed south for two weeks in Loreto. Driving south thru town, I do complete stops and slow speed 20 mph. No problems..

Headed back home we spent the night [Friday 10th] in Ensenada at the Corona as always do, got a great start Saturday 5:00 am, but 16 miles south of Tecate we had the traffic jam south in the mountains where a section of about an 1/8 mile stretch of road work that was incomplete. Rained Friday night with dirt road wet. Tractor trucks trying drive thru slid to the side of the road stuck in the mud and the ones that tried to get by slid into the ones that were stuck. 2 hours no movement........ Than onto Tecate....

With 4 more stops and almost to the Mc-D right turn, Lights flashing they pull a Jeep with California plates in front of us a little ways to the right. The gringo gets out as we pass with his doctor scubs still on from work. OK sorry but a least he cleaned'em out for me in this last little stretch of Baja Highway for me....
******** the wife looks in the rear view mirror to see what I was looking at with 3 stops north to go. El compadre on my bumper.. On goes the lights and a bit of the horn action also. To the right I pull and out I go to meet him.
Drivers license, registration which he looks at and sticks in his jacket pocket. "Empty your pockets please" , so I pull my wallet out which he takes and sets on the hood of hit truck. There was an other sitting in the truck passenger side that was talking on the radio watching us. Next he pats my right pants pocket,which I have my 300 Paso's in and sticks his hand in my pocket and removes the Peso's. Hands it back to me and than does the same to my left pocket with my dollars ($1200.00]. He hands that back to me.
He than goes to the front of my Toyota FJ and talks with my wife and searches glove box items and compartments in the front area. returns to me at truck..

Here is where I thought it going to get rough. He knows I have cash, he has my drivers license and registration.
"Senior, you did not have your seat belt on"
... NO No No yes I did. If I didn't the buzzer rings and rings... " "Senior, you where driving to slow and me suspicious of your actions"

.... Do we need to go to the police station?

"oh no, is this the first time you have been stopped in Mexico?"
.... Yes
" Here is your license. Have a nice day. Odios."
... good buy.....

We leave. 25 minutes in the line to cross...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 12:58 PM

Well........That one is hard to decipher. It certainly could have gone bad what with the bogus crap about seat belts and slow speeds being thrown into the mix, but there's no sense in trying to guess why he backed off. There had to be a reason.

Thanks for the report.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 02:43 PM

msawin, You did the right thing, I get sick of listening to people whine about being extorted after they willingly participated in a crime without ever once demanding to do the correct thing and go to the station.
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 06:35 PM
reply #2

Again sorry for long post but it was as long day and that was almost the funnest part. We make the trip thru and back too Tecate 2-3 times a year.
I never get pulled over. Ever. Here [usa] or there. I did not think it would happen to me because I pay attention to info posted here and don't drive fast.
I was going to the Police station. I was ready to go.

I thought about this all-day, on my second 14 hour day of my driving trip home. Why did he not try to get my cash. He had no idea of the amount in the roll but it was dollars and I had them.
So in a three block stretch 2 California plated autos pulled to the side in 5 minutes.
It is a shooting barrel. They see you coming with plenty of time to pick you out and pull you over. I just do not know what say here to warm YOU of what not to do.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 07:05 PM

The cops sometimes are pretty dumb. As they flip on the lights, they keep asking themselves "Can I get get away with this?" They fumble, they hem and they haw. A polite to-the-point attitude usually pops their balloon.

I once had "Porky Pig" pull me over just north of San Luis Potosi. A PFP. He walked up to my truck and said "Estas Obligitorio Cintarones" (seat belts are mandatory). I smiled at him and twanged my seat belt resting across my chest.

"¿Como se dice este?" I retorted (What is this called?) His face got as red as a beet. His partner started laughing so hard he gagged and coughed a fit.

Many years ago a Caminos Y Puentes pulled me over near Ensenada. "Your trailer is too long for Mexico"

I decided to do a Laurel & Hardy. I rummaged around the inside of the trailer finding a pencil and paper. "Can you draw me a map how to get to SCT in Ensenada for a permit?"

He stomped off. By the time I got back onto the highway he had pulled over a Mexican driver.

You can't let this stuff get to you. But I would have made out a federal complaint about the roadside search. ANY GREEN ANGEL has federal complaint forms and they are taken very seriously. The cops hate them. The gas stations also hate the forms.

"¿Como te llama tu nombre para poner queja federal?

You can play these jerks like a 12-string guitar if you learn how.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 07:59 AM

Just wondering: is it a traffic offense to not comply with a cop when he sez empty your pockets?

Is everyone onboard with that? Any hardliners who'll say no?

Think I'll keep wearing my money belt.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Just wondering: is it a traffic offense to not comply with a cop when he sez empty your pockets?

Is everyone onboard with that? Any hardliners who'll say no?

Think I'll keep wearing my money belt.

If nothing else, it gives us a new guideline for our own methods. Don't keep money, or pocket knives, in your pockets.

[Edited on 11-12-2012 by DENNIS]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
If nothing else, it gives us a new guideline for our own methods. Don't keep money, or pocket knives, in your pockets.

Yes, understood.

My take: this cop was fishing. Why he didn't scam for money is anybody's guess. There's no logic or reason in these stops.

Had he found a knife, money would have probably come up.

Still, Dennis, would you consent to a pat down? Emptying your pockets?

This was an aggressive move for the cop. And I don't think he was that suspicious at the slowness of the driver. Maybe he was bored -- maybe showing off for the other cop?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Still, Dennis, would you consent to a pat down? Emptying your pockets?

I would like to say, "Hell no," but the situation at the moment may have dictated otherwise. We can't lose sight of the fact that we're being confronted with an armed, lieing thief. That, to me, is a disadvantage......almost as much as being Gringo.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 11:42 AM

Crossed at Tecate this past Saturday around noon - no problems with la policia. I drove slow once at the outskirts of town and continued driving that way all the way to the border. Border crossing took about 55 minutes. One question - is it legal by Mexican law for an officer to search you? I remember an old post where I think this was discussed.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by boe4fun
One question - is it legal by Mexican law for an officer to search you? I remember an old post where I think this was discussed.

There could, or would be so many extenuating circumstances that you'd have no defense without witnesses to every detail of the procedure. The police would make any claims necessary to justify their actions.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.