Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: immigration presentation in Loreto today
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 06:55 PM
Give them the original passport?

I cannot imagine this is a requirement. you need to give up your US passport? for how long? Like most government rules and regulations they are written by someone in the federal capital, Mexico City or Wash. DC without real knowledge of how the world operates out in the field.
we often have this problem in Alaska with DC regulations

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpimon

I will have to get an FMM when I cross the border into Mexico. This will have to be submitted to the Loreto INM office along with the following documents.

Original and photocopy of my passport.

Formato Basico, the form filled out with my general information provided by the office in Loreto.

Payment for the Residencia Permanente card.

Photographs as usual.

Sounds easy enough but who knows. This information comes from the bosses of the Loreto INM office in Cabo.

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 07:28 PM

And I have heard, right here on this forum, that one of the attractions of Mexico is the lack of over-regulation and more freedom for the individual. :lol: :lol:

I have always laughed at that one because if one thinks that there is a lack of regulation in Mexico, they don't have any friends, both Mexican and Gringo who own businesses.

This immigration thing will all be straightened out at some time in the future---- well probably just before they change the laws again. Meantime, we will just do what our local office requires for our FM3 or whatever it will be.

redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 07:52 PM

I have no idea what the new types of cards and visas are now.
I have never even been asked in 4 years by anyone to see my FM3. I know it could happen so I am always ready but so far no one has been the least bit interested except for renewal. So I plan to just go along as usual until renewal and then do whatever the local office tells me to do. The more I read about it all the more confusing it all seems.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 08:13 PM
The only thing that is 100% absolute clear on this is

NOBODY knows what is going on or how to do it including immigration at least at the local levels.

Just have to wait it out until it becomes a lot clearer.

Right now it's as clear as mud.

Is anyone surprised?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 08:44 PM

here is a follow up email from the presenter of the meeting:

"I would like to inform the ones who did not get an FMM on entry to Mexico but do have either an NO MIGRANTE OR INMIGRANTE card:

According to immigration officer in Loreto: You are legal in Mexico and they will not fine anyone who does not have one regarding the fact that some did not get an FMM at point of entry. This been said I will check with the immigration legal dept. and will let you know if there is an other opinion regarding this because if one wants to fly out you normally must remit the FMM to the Immigration officer on exit.

On the subject of one who had to pay a fine in the pass:

This is a black mark on your Immigration record and the system rejects any request for change of status...in other words, one who has a"black mark on record" must start over under the new system..."

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow
I cannot imagine this is a requirement. you need to give up your US passport?

It used to be worse. You had to let IMM have your passport and they would dismantle it....take out the binding staples, and copy every page....even the blank ones.
That would take about a week.
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 09:47 PM

A year ago coming in to the airport we got in the tourist visa line instead of the FM3 liine and the inspector was surprised and told us we never needed to line up with an FM3. Nothing for sure except change.
Scorpimon
Junior Nomad

Mood: Irie

[*] posted on 11-23-2012 at 08:13 AM

When I said you need to provide the original and copy of your passport I read this as only presenting them your US passport and then they keep the copy of it for their files.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 11-23-2012 at 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
:light::bounce::?:

Ditto:?:
MsTerieus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2012 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
The Residencia Permanente Visa is good for only 180 days, meaning you have only 180 days to apply at your INM in Mexico or it will expire.

I communicated with the Director of the BCS Tramites Migratorios INM office in Cabo San Lucas today and they documented the process that I will have to follow when I get to Loreto with my new Residencia Permanente Visa. In Loreto I must exchange the Visa in my passport for my new migratory card, which should take about 10 days because it is printed in Mexico City and mailed to Loreto via Estafeta.

I will have to get an FMM when I cross the border into Mexico. This will have to be submitted to the Loreto INM office along with the following documents.

Original and photocopy of my passport.

Formato Basico, the form filled out with my general information provided by the office in Loreto.

Payment for the Residencia Permanente card.

Photographs as usual.

Sounds easy enough but who knows. This information comes from the bosses of the Loreto INM office in Cabo.

One thing that surprises me (well sort of, not really): I just went to the local INM Office, in Ensenada, with my FMM (issued in August) and application for a Non-Imigrante visa. I was told the INM Office would NOT accept my application - that I had to go to San Diego to apply for the visa. Maybe my situation is different; I was applying for a visa for the first time.

Also, didn't you forget to mention, in your list of what will be required to be submitted when you apply for your visa, documentation showing you qualify, financially, for the visa, plus a Spanish translation of that documentation (if it is not in Spanish)?

[Edited on 11-25-2012 by MsTerieus]

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-25-2012 at 03:07 PM

It depends on how many prior FM3s Scorpimon had. Under the new regs, if one has had an FM3 for four years, no income verification is needed to move on to the Permanente.

It's possible that the Ensenada office is technically correct, MsT. To INITIATE a new Temporal card must be done at a Mexican Embassy in your country of citizenship, according to most interpretations of the new regs. Those of us who currently possess a valid FM2 or FM3 can go directly to the INM office in our area w/o going through a Mexican consulate.

MsTerieus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2012 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

It's possible that the Ensenada office is technically correct, MsT. To INITIATE a new Temporal card must be done at a Mexican Embassy in your country of citizenship, according to most interpretations of the new regs. Those of us who currently possess a valid FM2 or FM3 can go directly to the INM office in our area w/o going through a Mexican consulate.

Thanks for the input, Hook. Since I guess I am supposed to surrender my current FMM before applying, I guess I wasted my time and $ getting the last one (which I got ONLY in order to apply for a visa). Hmmm, maybe I'll forget about the whole thing for now! Nothing like "rules" that discourage people from complying with them.

Scorpimon
Junior Nomad

Mood: Irie

[*] posted on 11-25-2012 at 07:04 PM

MsTerieus

I applied in the USA at my local Mexican Consulate and did not have a current Mexican Visa of any type. The rules are different North and South of the border.

The form I filled out and supporting documentation provided to the Mexican Consulate in Denver for the Visa were in English. The Spanish forms all pertain to my Menaje de Casa. I provided documents showing pension income, IRA account and Fideicomiso which shows the appraisal of my casa in Loreto. In addition I had to provide a letter from my local police showing we were of good moral character.
MsTerieus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2012 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
MsTerieus

I applied in the USA at my local Mexican Consulate and did not have a current Mexican Visa of any type. The rules are different North and South of the border.

The form I filled out and supporting documentation provided to the Mexican Consulate in Denver for the Visa were in English. The Spanish forms all pertain to my Menaje de Casa. I provided documents showing pension income, IRA account and Fideicomiso which shows the appraisal of my casa in Loreto. In addition I had to provide a letter from my local police showing we were of good moral character.

Thanks for the input, Scorpimon. Was this since the rules changed? If so, do you know what (else) is required in order to get your "real" residency permit (or whatever it's called) -- i.e., the thing I gather you need to apply for, in MX, w/in 30 days (?) of obtaining the visa in the US? It WILL be good news if I don't have to get a ton of pages of financial statements translated. As to a letter from the police: SHEESH! I hope I can request/get one by phone, 'cause I'm a long way from Northern California, where I used to live.
fourninerpapa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2012 at 09:09 AM

We usually walk across the border at Algodones to get our fnm. We then drive across the border heading south at Tecate. Is this still possible to do under the new regulations? Once we are south of the border how would anyone know that the fnm was purchased in Algodones but we crossed at Tecate?

Norm
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-26-2012 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MsTerieus
Quote:
MsTerieus

Thanks for the input, Scorpimon. Was this since the rules changed? If so, do you know what (else) is required in order to get your "real" residency permit (or whatever it's called) -- i.e., the thing I gather you need to apply for, in MX, w/in 30 days (?) of obtaining the visa in the US? It WILL be good news if I don't have to get a ton of pages of financial statements translated. As to a letter from the police: SHEESH! I hope I can request/get one by phone, 'cause I'm a long way from Northern California, where I used to live.

Why don't you just pay Carlos to do it for you???

MsTerieus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2012 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

What do you mean by "do it for you"? I don't think he or anyone else can go to the US and apply for me.

In any case, I WAS about ready to pay a consultant for help and have the names of a couple from whom I'd choose. But considering that I already did most of the work (other than translating my financials) - to the point where Carlos had advised me NOT to pay for his services and just to get a friend to help me with the translation - and that, possibly, I won't need to translate my financials if I apply now (in the US), I might as well wait until I have a better understanding of whether I actually need help.

[Edited on 11-26-2012 by MsTerieus]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-26-2012 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MsTerieus
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

What do you mean by "do it for you"? I don't think he or anyone else can go to the US and apply for me.

In any case, I WAS about ready to pay a consultant for help and have the names of a couple from whom I'd choose. But considering that I already did most of the work (other than translating my financials) - to the point where Carlos had advised me NOT to pay for his services and just to get a friend to help me with the translation - and that, possibly, I won't need to translate my financials if I apply now (in the US), I might as well wait until I have a better understanding of whether I actually need help.

[Edited on 11-26-2012 by MsTerieus]

Yeah, I guess you are correct......no use rushing into things now..........

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2012 at 07:09 PM

here you go...just got an email from the lawyer who gave the talk, he must be checking things out and he emailed all who attended. clear as mud is right!:

"Comming in the country by ground transportation:
a) One who does not have an immigration card MUST get an FMM.

b) One who has an INMIGRANTE or NO INMIGRANTE card do not require to stop at the border for an FMM.

Comming in the country by air or sea transportation:
One with an INMIGRANTE or NO INMIGRANTE card do not require to fill in an FMM, at point of entry must show the card.

Going out of the country by ground transportation: One does not stop at border.

Going out of the country by air or sea transportation:
One with an INMIGRANTE or NO INMIGRANTE the airline or the sea carrier will issue an FMM , it must be filled in, at point of exit must show the FMM to the immigration officer at point of exit, the officer will keep the big part and return the small part; said part must be keep and remitted to the immigration officer at point of entry next time coming in.

ONE WHO IS IN THE COUNTRY WITHOUT ANY IMMIGRATION DOCUMENT WISHING TO EXIT VIA AIR OR SEA:

Must present at local immigration office a request for regularization: This request will be denied and he or she will get a letter which says he or she has 30 days to leave the country. This letter must be remitted to the officer at point of exit (airport or seaport).

Hope this is not as clear as mud and if it is ask me for precisions,

I will be giving a second conference on Dec. 11th.

I remain,

LIC. JACQUES-EDOUARD BEAULNE, LL.B.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2012 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit

b) One who has an INMIGRANTE or NO INMIGRANTE card do not require to stop at the border for an FMM.

Well....WTF is an Inmigrante card? Is that what is issued for Residente Perminente?

And this: NO INMIGRANTE. Are they really going to issue a card that says you arn't this: INMIGRANTE?
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.