BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Tecate Police / Leatherman alert
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 12:22 AM

A pregunta por favor...

Why do these things ALWAYS end up being second or fifth hand related or posted by a newbie who then goes away and never returns?

Even Transitos Tecatitos are not stupid enough to try and fine a passenger for not wearing a seat belt. There is and never has been a law anywhere in Mexico that even mentions non-drivers and seat belts.

After standing in a parking lot of a restaurant in Ciudad Constitucion for TEN MINUTES with a transito and seeing seven gringos flagrantly breaking the law (one guy towing a three axle boat was doing around 50 mph downtown on the main street not the paralelo), and two motorhomes that made illegal left turns into a gasolinera, I have to wonder about how tightly many gringos have their head screwed on.

Many towns have extremely strict laws about the display of a machete or a knife. They should be kept hidden. Tecate has no industry downtown that allows the display of a knife.

And, it is close to Navidad. A big biter has a mistress to support, jewelry to buy, a casa chica to maintain. So the possibility of getting nipped increases and even though Mexicanos may accelerate and do 70 through an amber traffic light, your doing 50 kph in a 30 zone makes a stop justified. After all the cop will have to work his butt off to squeeze a hundred pesos out of the light blower, and merely sing a song of six pence to milk a cow with the gringo.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
......After all the cop will have to work his butt off to squeeze a hundred pesos out of the light blower, and merely sing a song of six pence to milk a cow with the gringo.

A good line, and right on the money. Every time a gringo antes up on mordida it perpetuates the game.
QUETZALCOATL
Nomad

Mood: nublado

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 06:33 AM

Very interesting topic, it always amuses me that machete and hammer were openly carried yet a leatherman could get you in a bind. When the border wait road rage thing sept-dec 2001 happened many of the daily border crossers took to long screw drivers and tire irons.I thought there would be an opportunity to types of hidden weapons one could carry in Baja. The obvious choice being a small pistol in the shape of a cell phone. So I got on the web to see if any one had thought of that and sure enough a cartel leader had already been caught with 1. If you want to have a holstered knife in Mx the best way is a folded (non straight blade) multipurpose tool with a blade no longer then 4 inches. Hope this helps-have a great day.

in otin ihuan in tonalin nican tzonquica-Aztec saying for \"here ends the roads and the days\"
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 06:33 AM

We are one of the cars (F250 4WD with camper shell, often towing a Wells Cargo trailer) that has had more trouble than not in Tecate these last two years. We are now EXPECT to get stopped. We have always politely refused to pay their "fines". We also politely refused to follow them to the ATM to get cash—yes it was demanded we do that as well since we had no cash. Of our alleged egregious violations (running a stop sign, speeding), as variously claimed by motorcycle cops, cops in a truck, and cops in a car, we have only been "guilty" of having our dogs in the cab with us. That too we simply and politely refused to pay in what resulted in a Mexican stand-off. The cops left first. It is Russian Roulette transiting Tecate now. Cops are greedy; too often they are successful in shaking down cars with US plate. Sad.
jkruk
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 06:53 AM
Dogs

What is the law regarding Dogs in cars?? My truck, going down is usually so full the back seat is the only place left for the big guy.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 06:56 AM
IMO

sounds like alot of folks are not calling or email the tourest department !! they do take tourest biz important !!! and about a knife .. never had a problem with BIG fishing knifes.. Yo pescador !!

[Edited on 11-28-2012 by captkw]
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 07:01 AM

Although I do not know what the law actually is, one of our cop stops was for the alleged violation of dogs in the cab of our truck (in the seat behind the front seats). We were told our dogs must ride in the camper, and he made us put them in it. I firmly believe this is patently untrue and just an excuse to shake down gringos who get scared and pay up. We complied and refused to pay. Once we got into the border line awaiting crossing, the doggies rejoined us in the cab.

It is rare to see a Mexican in a vehicle with a dog unless maybe he is a rancher and there is a dog in the back of an open pick-up. Traveling with dogs in a car is much more of a gringo activity—one which is now targeted as "illegal", at least by Tecate cops!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
Although I do not know what the law actually is, one of our cop stops was for the alleged violation of dogs in the cab of our truck (in the seat behind the front seats). We were told our dogs must ride in the camper, and he made us put them in it. I firmly believe this is patently untrue

"Although I do not know what the law actually is,... I firmly believe this is patently untrue" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

marla, thank you for the morning funny!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 07:24 AM

Remember, folks.....

Christmas is coming,
the geese are driving fat.
The cops would like some money
for their kid's.....and more than that.

If anyone doubts that this was a shakedown, then why was the Leatherman returned to the owner, if it was illegal?

Silly gringo. Never keep that much in your wallet for the cop to see.

Thanks for all information. Information is good.

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 07:45 AM

My only problem at Tecate is our ass***e border agents.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt

........ Every time a gringo antes up on mordida it perpetuates the game.

Sometimes, well, it is just easier like being stopped on a holiday weekend miles down the road, when one would have to drive back to Ensenada and stay there over the weekend. Does that make it right? I don't think so, nor does it necessarily make it wrong. It is part of the system, I fear.

Paying mordida is not just for the gringos. Over the years we have known and seen many locals pay mordida. Once on the mainland we hired a taxi driver to be a tour guide for a day and during that day, he paid mordida three different times. He grumbled, but said it was not worth taking time away from his business to fight it.

Tecate? Well, we will continue to pass through there and our dogs will be with us --- I guess since we don't have a truck, we will need to tie the dogs on the roof rack. :)

[Edited on 11-28-2012 by DianaT]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
We are one of the cars (F250 4WD with camper shell, often towing a Wells Cargo trailer) that has had more trouble than not in Tecate these last two years. We are now EXPECT to get stopped. We have always politely refused to pay their "fines". We also politely refused to follow them to the ATM to get cash—yes it was demanded we do that as well since we had no cash. Of our alleged egregious violations (running a stop sign, speeding), as variously claimed by motorcycle cops, cops in a truck, and cops in a car, we have only been "guilty" of having our dogs in the cab with us. That too we simply and politely refused to pay in what resulted in a Mexican stand-off. The cops left first. It is Russian Roulette transiting Tecate now. Cops are greedy; too often they are successful in shaking down cars with US plate. Sad.

Marla.........have you done anything about your experiences other than post here?????......have you protested to the chief of police, the mayor, the state director of tourism or the governor of Baja?????.....You can't expect anything positive to happen unless you take steps to solve the problem.

If you can take the time to post here on Nomads, you can take the time to send an e-mail to the officials.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

........ Every time a gringo antes up on mordida it perpetuates the game.

Sometimes, well, it is just easier like being stopped on a holiday weekend miles down the road, when one would have to drive back to Ensenada and stay there over the weekend. Does that make it right? I don't think so, nor does it necessarily make it wrong. It is part of the system, I fear.

Paying mordida is not just for the gringos. Over the years we have known and seen many locals pay mordida. Once on the mainland we hired a taxi driver to be a tour guide for a day and during that day, he paid mordida three different times. He grumbled, but said it was not worth taking time away from his business to fight it.

Tecate? Well, we will continue to pass through there and our dogs will be with us --- I guess since we don't have a truck, we will need to tie the dogs on the roof rack. :)

[Edited on 11-28-2012 by DianaT]

Asking for (extortion), or paying (a bribe) mordita is a crime in Mexico. Would you offer to pay a bribe in the US????? I think not. Call their bluff if you are right, tell them to write a ticket and you will pay officially if you are wrong.

Justify it however you want, everyone who pays mordita is contributing to the problem....yeah, look in the mirror, that's you.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 09:27 AM

I deserved to be pulled over last month when I was in Tecate. As I was coming into town from the Ensenada road, winding down the final stretch into Tecate proper where you make a hard left by an OXXO. There was a billboard with a women's breasts prominently displayed overhead. I peaked at it for one second and I blew thru a stop sign and immediately thought, "oh crap, I'm getting pulled over". Little did I know my wife's wrath would be harsher than a police stop.

Seriously though, it was a mistake and I was embarrassed I made it. There wasn't cross traffic at the stop sign, it was just a stop sign randomly placed....

Just a reminder to always be paying attention to the road and not breasts. :tumble::tumble:

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 09:42 AM

off all the dozens and dozens and dozens of times we've passed through tecate over the years, we've never once been hassled there by anyone..never...but now y'all got me looking over my shoulder....especially since we'll be passing through there this next week.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Every time a gringo antes up on mordida it perpetuates the game.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Justify it however you want, everyone who pays mordita is contributing to the problem....yeah, look in the mirror, that's you.

And the problem is the moral corruption of communities caused by mordida paying gringoes. Tragic.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 09:51 AM
the bite !!

IMO its always worse right before xmas & valatines day...just a saying what I've noticed........
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Are all of these good fortune reports a rebuttal to the first post or are they just efforts to share happiness?
If they're the former, perhaps it would just cut to the chase by calling the story a lie.
If it's the latter, maybe they should be followed with some puppy and sunset pictures.

Have every one noticed that Dennis the last few days is getting back to is old form,, glad he is feeling better
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
And the problem is the moral corruption of communities caused by mordida paying gringoes. Tragic.

Lee.....I think the problem is that the majority of residents here (both Mexican and Americans/Canadians do not invest in their communities.

I don't see a community based/wide effort to pick up trash or paint over graffitti. I see municipal, state and federal workers drive by the same burnt out streetlight or stoplight or driving over the same pothole without reporting or fixing it......Until the residents invest, nothing will change.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
I deserved to be pulled over last month when I was in Tecate. As I was coming into town from the Ensenada road, winding down the final stretch into Tecate proper where you make a hard left by an OXXO. There was a billboard with a women's breasts prominently displayed overhead. I peaked at it for one second and I blew thru a stop sign and immediately thought, "oh crap, I'm getting pulled over". Little did I know my wife's wrath would be harsher than a police stop.

Seriously though, it was a mistake and I was embarrassed I made it. There wasn't cross traffic at the stop sign, it was just a stop sign randomly placed....

Just a reminder to always be paying attention to the road and not breasts. :tumble::tumble:
yeah that billboard will get ya everytime!

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.