Wally
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I now have Inmagrante

Do you mean Inmigrado? I thought that was forever.

In 2011 when I applied for a FM2 renewal (my 3rd) I was issued an INMIGRANTE card which replaced the FM2. I don't think there was/is any difference between the two in terms of rules or regulations. Just phasing out the FM2???

And it needs to be renewed every year.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
I now have Inmagrante

Do you mean Inmigrado? I thought that was forever.

Inmigrado was the old card you received after the appropriate number of FM2's and FM3's. The new system replaced that. Now you have Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente.

I have a friend who got the Inmigrado card before the change and was told that nothing needed to be done, My renewal was done in November and reads INMIGRANTE.

As I read the regs I should not need to renew, but I do have an expiration date on the backside. Will probably take a few big Yellowtail to the office and then discuss the matter.

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 07:14 AM

Immigrante is different from Immigrado.

Immigrado means you have immigrated to the country and immigrante means you are in the process. (not yet granted)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 08:30 AM

OK....I'm no less confused than I was before. Does the Residente permanente need yearly renewel? I thought not.
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 09:24 AM

Here is an other web site with a chart showing the difference between the old and new "visa names". Scroll down...info is on the right side of page.

http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm
Wally
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 10:06 AM

Just saw this:

http://www.thepaperworkscabos.com.mx/new-immigration-law/

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by karenintx
Here is an other web site with a chart showing the difference between the old and new "visa names". Scroll down...info is on the right side of page.

http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm

Quick first read -- We are sill in the opening zone of confusion, nevertheless, word is coming in from several INM offices that proof of income is not being required of those who are changing from No Inmigrante or Inmigrante to Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente..

After some initial confusion, it now appears that previous time as a No Inmigrante can be combined with time with an Inmigrante to meet the four-year requirement.

If the above is true anyone that has had an FM3/No-Inmigrante for 4 years or more is elgible to apply for Residente Permanente status without having to prove a monthly income.
That just doesn't sound right and the INM office in Ensenada is requireing proof of a minimum of $1,900US via 6 months of bank statements in order to assure that it Residente Permanente stus is granted after you apply. Also, in the case of a husband and wife that both meet the 4 year requirement it sounds like the combined monthly income must be $3,800.

Bob Durrell
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
If the above is true anyone that has had an FM3/No-Inmigrante for 4 years or more is elgible to apply for Residente Permanente status without having to prove a monthly income.

That just doesn't sound right and the INM office in Ensenada is requireing proof of a minimum of $1,900US via 6 months of bank statements in order to assure that it Residente Permanente stus is granted after you apply. Also, in the case of a husband and wife that both meet the 4 year requirement it sounds like the combined monthly income must be $3,800.

It's to keep the Riff-Raff out :lol:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

It's to keep the Riff-Raff out :lol:

If only that were true. :lol:

Actually, as I mentioned earlier, it will drive the unqualified underground, just as they are now, and life will go on. Those in lower income brackets will be ignored by authorities because they have no value to immigration. It's the soft target, those who can afford the requirments, that will be pursued. After all, we don't need to be chased.....we voluntarily line up at their door and beg to comply.
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Which means that you actually obtain citizenship of Mexico. Not connected with your immigration status.

Only in the matter that you no longer are an immigrant once you obtain citizenship, so I don't think I'd say it isn't connected to your immigration status. I see a definite connection to immigration status between the two, but perhaps that's just me being nick-picky.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 01:44 PM

The taxation is going to get worse. Gold bars to tortillas INM is going to demand a minimum bank balance of say 50,000 pesos (guess example) be maintained in a Mexican bank. Computers are be installed (just look in your INM office), and I have seen with my eyes computers, laptop, connected to their RED via TelCel. Lic. Ismael Abarca Gutierrez sub delgado federal INM was not kidding me when he told me the PFP is going to start (in the future) asking to see INM status (your credencial) and that "Permanent" status is going to require a Mexican driver license which in turn demands driving a vehicle with nacional or frontera plates.

Hide And Watch
Welcome to modern bureaucratic Mexico

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
..."Permanent" status is going to require a Mexican driver license which in turn demands driving a vehicle with nacional or frontera plates.

Hide And Watch
Welcome to modern bureaucratic Mexico

Not a big deal. I'll get a dedicated Baja vehicle and keep it in BCS. Whatever happens, happens. Nothing to be scared of.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 03:15 PM

Even though I have the right to own zona federal property and vote, I am seriously considering moving to Guatemala. I have a gut feeling this country is going to go totally stupid with computers, facturas, tramites, and impuestos. Jesus what a freakin' waste having to learn who was Carranza, the various dates of revolucciones, and the names of los heroes de chapultepec. Oh well, at least I can come and visit my grandkids. It's a lot easier from the south.

Grumble Grumble

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Jesus what a freakin' waste having to learn who was Carranza, the various dates of revolucciones, and the names of los heroes de chapultepec. Oh well, at least I can come and visit my grandkids. It's a lot easier from the south.

Grumble Grumble

David, you're a smart guy. MX history is sorta wasted on me too -- but it IS interesting. I have no doubt if you wanted to memorize the answers to the naturalization test, you'd pass with flying colors.

Lots of benefits being in Baja though. Proximity to the US, for example. On the other hand, if Guatemala is truly less mickey mouse than MX, you really might be happier down there.

There are hoops to jump through no matter what side of the border you're on.

Maybe start a thread on Central America vs. Baja?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 06:16 PM

Perspectives are always interesting. But ocean fishing in Guatemala sucks, as do the beaches. But, life is far, far, far (is this enough far's?) and away less expensive. I can import a USA car or truck and retain the original title and plates. Guatemala City has the medical facilities of Mexico, Guadalajara or Monterrey. Big box shopping, and is a 5 hour drive.

The Baja California peninsula is unique, no place else in the world like it. It isn't the land or the people that confronts me, it's the bureaucracy. I am getting old and I need to stop wandering. I do not want to stop but my body screams otherwise. I chose a principal location on the mainland because it is tropical, more Mexican than anywhere on the peninsula and is actually easier to live there, finance wise. Baja California is expensive. Just ask any native. Like it or not, I can easily find 99% of foodstuffs less fruit and vegetables less expensive in California. But insane rents make the point moot.

The INM guy at the 28th paralelo had me wait for better than a half hour while he contacted his office regarding my credencial naturalizado. He had never seen one before. He then returned with a comment: "Why are you driving un automovil con placas extraneous?" "Porque quiero a saca placas de nacionalizado frontera en Guerrero Negro"

I see it all the time. Mexican cars jumping from half foot deep pothole to pothole at 70 mph and when the car teeters on destruction, they sell it for a lot of money. Including the roofing tar in the crankcase. I cannot afford to pay 100% of 1-1/2-years pension for a new Mexican car so small I can rest my knees against the rear bumper and kick the tires. Those crapmobiles last 2 years and then decompose. Just ask any taxista on the mainland.

Mexico wants 30K a year retirees and will settle for nothing less. SECTUR wants tourists to fly in, blow 10 grand in a week then get the hell out. I cannot get UNAVIALBLE medical supplies shipped or mailed in due to COFEPRIS, seizure at ADUANA, Mexico City. Mexico can live without me, entonces en reversa tambien, la republica!

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 06:56 PM

You might want to think twice about Guatemala, I had a flight through Guatemala City a couple of weeks ago and was talking to a Guatemalan on the plane who had moved his family to Atlanta because Guatemala is now too dangerous. He still has his business there but said that kidnapping is so rampant he has to drive an armored car and travel with a bodyguard. He was very sad about the situation there.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 09:24 PM

We went to Guatemala for 2 weeks. Flew into Guat city, picked up a rental car and spent the next 2 hours trying to find our way out of the city with one of those tourist maps from the rental car place. Drove all the way to other side of the country to our resort that kinda sucked. Toured around some pretty cool places, went to Tikal etc.

We weren't feeling the love at our resort so we decided to go back across the country to Antigua. Drove into Guat city till I was lost, found a taxi and paid him to lead me out of town, he was a really nice older gentleman.

Guatemala isn't like Mexico. Nobody understood my limited Spanish (Mexican) and everybody had guns. Everywhere that there was money or booze that could be stolen there were a couple of security guards with riot shotguns, dirty tee shirts and green teeth, it was kinda spooky.

It was an adventure but I probably won't go back. One interesting thing was on the road to Tikal. There was a booth at the beginning of the windy road through the jungle where you would get a time stamped ticket. There were speed limit signs everywhere warning of grave consequences for speeding but I didn't pay much attention. At the other end of the road at the monument was another booth that would time stamp your ticket and calculate your driving time for the 8 or so miles you had driven. He gave me a severe a$$ chewing in Spanish while waving his arms in a menacing fashion for speeding.....I smile and said "no fumar espanol"....he gave me a disgusted look and waved me on...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
akbear
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 02:17 PM

Hola, Has anybody received a Residente Permanente in La Paz ? I've had an FM 3 for over 8 years, owned property for 12 years & 64 years old. I'm in the process of renewing / upgrading right now thru an agent.They say that I can get a Imagrate & need bank statements for 3 months. I would like to just get RP & be over with INM. Any help ?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by akbear
Hola, Has anybody received a Residente Permanente in La Paz ? I've had an FM 3 for over 8 years, owned property for 12 years & 64 years old. I'm in the process of renewing / upgrading right now thru an agent.They say that I can get a Imagrate & need bank statements for 3 months. I would like to just get RP & be over with INM. Any help ?

Hahaha....other posts are saying that if you have had an FM-2 or FM-3 for several years you don't need financials.......others have posted that you need 6 months of financials......go with the flow and give em the 3 months. Don't think you get a break or a discount if you are 64!!!

akbear
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 03:16 PM

On the age thing, I heard somewhere that that if you are retired & can prove your financials meet their requirements you can jump right to PR.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.