BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Quinceañeras In Mexico (15th Birthdays)
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-22-2012 at 12:46 PM

my daughter opted for a car by the way although we did throw her a fun party at the beach in San Roque too....just not the fancy dancey deal...although I think sometimes she regrets her choice.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2012 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
wonderful detailed post on a very important cultural event...and what a lovely daughter...I bet she loved the ritual. It is most girls dream party and even poor folks save for a long long time and can spend thousands on the 2 day event.

One other thing they do here is the girl/woman stands up on a chair and it blindfolded or covers her eyes as the damitas and little girls dance around her in a cirlce...she waves a Barbie doll over her head and throws it back....kind of like throwing the bouquet in a wedding. The lucky girl who catches it gets a beautiful big fancy Barbie to keep...this signifies the throwing away of her childhood dolls.

The tradition here is to have a big feast the following day to feed everyone...all the hung over folks who danced till 3-4 in the morning...so it is a 2 day event.

We are thrilled that Udo & Jana will join us tonight and see it in person...it will be good to dance a cumbia with Iflyfish too!
will there be a jug of ricea at the celebration?:coolup:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2012 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
A senora is generally a married woman. I did ask that question to some local Mexicans, and generally it doesn't depend on age, it is more when they are actually married.

Age can be a factor as well. One wouldn't address a middle age, unmarried woman as señorita [although some may whisper it among themselves]. It would be worse than rude, alluding to her inability to attain a certain station in life expected of one her age.
In Mexico, respect for tradition is everything.

[Edited on 12-22-2012 by DENNIS]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2012 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
I'm thinking of taking up truck driving, that seems to pay pretty well:lol:

Sounds good, Steve. Eric Hoffer drove a forklift.........proudly.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 05:05 AM

Please keep your great Mexican culture posts coming Bajatripper.

We were surprised yesterday when the Father came to our house and invited us to his daughter's 2-day Quinceañera next week since we don't know them extremely well. Never been to one before. Understanding some of the traditions you mention in your post will make the event more enjoyable.

Do guests bring a gift to a Quinceañera?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce

We were surprised yesterday when the Father came to our house and invited us to his daughter's 2-day Quinceañera next week since we don't know them extremely well. Never been to one before. Understanding some of the traditions you mention in your post will make the event more enjoyable.

Just be careful if someone asks you to be Madrina, suddenly you will find yourself expected to buy the cake or the dress.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:

Just be careful if someone asks you to be Madrina, suddenly you will find yourself expected to buy the cake or the dress.

Our experience in BA has been that everyone in the town, and all visitors are invited to the weddings, wakes, quinceañeras and weddings. Notices are posted around town of the events. With the quinceañera, few seem to attend the church ceremony which is beautiful and quite moving and I am not a Catholic. The fiesta is different--- lots of people attend. :-) We have had family come to our home to make sure we understand that EVERYONE is invited.

With quinceañeras we handle the gift giving the same as we handle it for any birthday parties we attend. We usually have a gift, but we keep it in the car to see what is happening. If there are lots of gifts, we add ours, or if not, we wait and give it in private. For many birthdays, people invite others to share the cake and friendship, but gifts are not expected as many really cannot afford them and just being there is what is important.

One thing we have found that is always appreciated is photos. Lots of people take lots of photos, but prints are different. So we will take lots of photos, put them on a DVD and print out several for the family if you can. If we know a family well, we will offer other assistance; if not, the photos are still very appreciated. In offering assistance, even things like filling a propane tank, giving them toilet paper, coffee, etc., can be important when they have a house full of family from out of town!

If you were invited to the second day of festivities, that is different. That is reserved for family and those they consider good friends; again, at least from what we have experienced in our area. It is a time to get to know everyone better even though by that time most everyone is exhausted. We once did not attend the second day of a wedding celebration to which we were invited as we thought they had enough on their hands with the family, and that was a big mistake on our part. The Doña of the family was a bit hurt.

Bajatripper, your daughter is beautiful and what a beautiful celebration. I used to be a bit cynical about the purpose of these celebrations, but now I just really enjoy them. Even with lots of help from friends and families, these celebrations can really wipe out the family financially for a while. But it is also a great time for big family reunions and all being together is what is really important to most of them. Today, I see these celebrations as more about family, friends; the really important things in life.

Again, this is just our experience in one small area of Baja.

[Edited on 12-23-2012 by DianaT]

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 09:59 AM

I guess you missed the word generally. Actually, Dennis I have seen professionals address women as "senorita" in middle age, and they quite like it and are flattered. What station in life are you talking about that Senora signifies?
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
A senora is generally a married woman. I did ask that question to some local Mexicans, and generally it doesn't depend on age, it is more when they are actually married.

Age can be a factor as well. One wouldn't address a middle age, unmarried woman as señorita [although some may whisper it among themselves]. It would be worse than rude, alluding to her inability to attain a certain station in life expected of one her age.
In Mexico, respect for tradition is everything.

[Edited on 12-22-2012 by DENNIS]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 10:01 AM

wonders if this tradition has to do with in earlier times many girls married early like 16 or 17??

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 10:06 AM

Quote:

It is an honor to be invited to a Quinceañera, since in most of them seating and food is limited. An Aside, I've noticed many Mexicans like to have a gringo friend, it can up the family's status. I've also noticed how many of my countrymen like to be "adopted" by a Mexican family, so I guess that's a two-way street.

An yes, you should take a present.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

Truer words have seldom been spoken. Using the "compadrazco" (Madrinas and Padrinos) is one way many families make such occasions more affordable--by splitting up the expenses among them.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
wonders if this tradition has to do with in earlier times many girls married early like 16 or 17??

That's it exactly, and old tradition that is no longer needed. Anouncing that your daughter is of age to marry. My daughter did not come out at 15, more like 18.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
I guess you missed the word generally. Actually, Dennis I have seen professionals address women as "senorita" in middle age, and they quite like it and are flattered.

Those are men dressed as women. Of course they like it. Their disguise for the day was well appointed.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

Isn't the tradition imported from Spain?

Once read that 70% of conjugal unions in Mexico are Common Law. This is a nation of Shacker-Upers.
I guess it's OK with the Catholic Church.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 02:08 PM

There are men that age dressed up as women as well, and they like it when the women call them "hermosa",
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
I guess you missed the word generally. Actually, Dennis I have seen professionals address women as "senorita" in middle age, and they quite like it and are flattered.

Those are men dressed as women. Of course they like it. Their disguise for the day was well appointed.
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
so up until they're 15 they are chica's is that correct? and when does a senorita become a senora? :?:

When she is casado (married).

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greengoes
When she is casado (married).

More gender confusion. Better use an "A" at the end of "casada" if it belongs to a she. :lol:
Jes Kiddin'. I'm not the spelling cop around here.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 02:32 PM

okay, so you meet a lady thats, say 20 to 40 years old. you have no idea if she's married or not, how is she addressed?

[Edited on 12-23-2012 by willardguy]
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 03:05 PM

Great thread. Went to my first last night, very moving. I thought about your reflections on what your daughters right of passage might have been like had she gone to the Philippines or had a traditional American Birthday Party. Very lucky girl to have this sort of affirmation and experience of a lifetime.

I am a father of a daughter and grandfather to a granddaughter and parts of the ceremony moved me deeply. A profound rite of passage, pageantry, linked to ancient history, bonding families and communities as well as acknowledging the transition from childhood to adulthood. I am glad I experienced this in a small village where tradition still reins. Time and tradition move on as the word culture becomes homogenized. We are blessed to be able to be part of a ancient living tradition when we participate in these events.

Iflyfishwithdreamsofbarbiedollshighheelsandoompabands
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2012 at 03:11 PM

now thats my idea of fly fishing!

Iflyfishwithdreamsofbarbiedollshighheelsandoompabands
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.