BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: It's A Shame To Have To Drive 600 MIles
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 12:55 PM

Hi Cap'n,

Thanks for the offer to speed things up, but those three are cardiac, blood pressure medications you got for me. Wish I could go back fifteen years, to no maintenance medications required. Those three medicines are going to save trips to Guerrero Negro, IOW, a few hundred dollars.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 01:07 PM
David E

Roger " good copy on all !! I did not know what I picked up and they are in a box in the "going to baja file" that is the landlords place...do you have a Land line ??? wish you sucess in your endeaver !!..damn cold and wet around here and cant do any work !!!! K&T:cool:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 05:34 PM

let me check withour local pharmacy nurse -s he can get anything from anywhere. la bocana is closer than Mulege or Loreto. For sure we can find someone to get the meds to you ...... let me know if you get it sooner

how many boxes would you like

and

did you like the idea of 100 mg which you would bite in half?

[Edited on 12-29-2012 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 07:32 PM

This is Baja related as I'm in Baja.

Anyone help me get some 'ludes? 714's? It's been years and yes, I was slightly addicted, but better now. Still, it would be nice for the pain.

I'm serious.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
This is Baja related as I'm in Baja.

Anyone help me get some 'ludes? 714's? It's been years and yes, I was slightly addicted, but better now. Still, it would be nice for the pain.

I'm serious.

Now you're asking about the hardware. There arn't even that many drugstores down here that carry the stuff.....let alone doctors that will give you a scrip for it.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 09:05 PM
drugs in mexico

Contary to false assumtions..it takes a speacel stamp (sello) that few doctors can get for narcotics..yet everyone I meet in the states or canada think you can walk in to drug store and anything..I got very deathly sick in costa rico and in south mexico after spending the day driving around finally found a dotor that had that speciel stamp then another day driving around finding that one pharmaica that had valium...got some jungle rot that was eating me alive and the only way to sleep so I could slowly make my back north would take heavy valium and beer to get sleep...F-costa rica cost me my baja dog (Agua)....Viva Mexico...K&T
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 12-29-2012 at 10:38 AM

Quaalude was taken off the Sector Salud formulary in 1995. It is now considered as being banned, outright.

Zolpidem the generic for AMBIEN 5mg, now has a 714 ID stamped into the pill. The old Methaqualone (generic quaalude) was similarly marked with a 714.

To Lee, I am glad I studied the subject of "pain" when I was an EMT. I learned that the emotional aspect and sleep deprivation play major roles in the perception of "discomfort".

What saves my butt with a degenerated disc and after effects of a badly dislocated shoulder is the solution DMSO. I apply it, and it takes about half the pain away for 4-6 hours.

Another often overlooked medication is AMITRIPTYLENE. This is a schedule III medicine in Mexico meaning it needs to be purchased with a prescription but the farmacia stamps the Rx and gives it back. Three refills within 90 days. The company PSICOFARMA manufactures the drug in Mexico. Should not be used with TRAMADOL.

I let my Internal Medicine doctor and cardiologist select my medications.

Now I need to check and see if I can get a cortisone injection for my shoulder somewhere in the Santa Rosalia / Mulege area, in the next few days. Both US doctors approved the injection

redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2012 at 11:25 AM

I am just amazed that you can get all this done while living in Bahia Asuncion. We worry about little things like infected fingers when there while you are handling huge medical and pharmaceutical issues in that isolated village. :O
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2012 at 12:19 PM

When I pulled a stretch living in Austin Nevada some 35 years ago, I realized I was 200 miles from the nearest medical center with no local ambulance service. Boy did I ever wise-up fast. I took courses in first-aid, then EMT, progressing through EMT II. Radioactive and Chemical hazmat training (I'm still on the Nuclear Emergency Response Team, roster).

This doesn't hold a candle to what our forefathers did, crossing the plains and deserts in wagons pulled by oxen. No medical service, natural and unnatural dangers. The women had to band together and "man" a large quilt so when of them needed to "go" several women carried the quilt and offered privacy on the plains where the horizon meant seeing 20 miles. There was zero privacy. Everything to their name stuffed into the wagon. No insurance, no assurance, just the promise of prosperity and freedom to grow.

The gringos are less hardy now. They whine when they think they're going to have to suffer a 5% tax rate increase. They bunker and arsenal living in the middle of a large city.

So dealing with medical and pharmaceutical issues is in reality, trivial, even here in Asuncion. If at all possible the Mexicans deal with health issues as best they can. I've encountered some really scary, incompetent doctors in the USA.

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2012 at 12:54 PM

check your u2u re current availability in Loreto.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2012 at 01:03 PM
Incompetent doctors in usa !!

I know first hand on that !! one doctor in santa cruz ca. prescribed 4 drugs that where not compatable with each other and killed my kid brother !!!!! all the while growing up he used illlegal drugs (hey, its santa cruz) and had no issues !!! maybe, a sore brain cell die off after a good LSD trip..but the AMA is what killed him.....K&T
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-29-2012 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
I know first hand on that !! one doctor in santa cruz ca. prescribed 4 drugs that where not compatable with each other and killed my kid brother !!!!! all the while growing up he used illlegal drugs (hey, its santa cruz) and had no issues !!! maybe, a sore brain cell die off after a good LSD trip..but the AMA is what killed him.....K&T

and nobody in your family got rich from the malpractice suit ?
:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 12-29-2012 at 06:42 PM
Don't Know if This Information is Still Timely

But you can get certain proscribed medicines if you have a prescription from a doctor that has that certification and then you need to go to a pharmacy that is licensed to dispense those products.

After my heart bypass, when I came home, I had trouble sleeping (fourteen straight days of walking the floors day and night).

I procured a prescription for sleeping pills and had it filled at Roma Pharmacy in Rosarito. They have a special license to dispense these controlled substances which are warehoused in what looks like a bank vault in the back of the store and they have an armed guard posted on the premises at all times.

So, I believe you can find what you are looking for nearby if you locate the right doctor and the right pharmacy.

Side note: After filling the prescription, I came home and fell asleep naturally and never used the pills.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2012 at 07:14 PM

there are, without a doubt, terrible docs everywhere. and wonderful ones everywhere. hopefully, at least we can exchange information with each other to try and avoid those bad ones.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2012 at 08:14 PM
Vandaberg

No,, we as a family decided not to sue for many,many reasons..no money could/can bring him back

[Edited on 12-30-2012 by captkw]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.