BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Serenidad Pig Roast
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 03:25 PM

The stupid floods just cut the heart out of Mulegé IMHO. A lot of good people bailed out.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PCbaja
I have been flying Baja for 15 years and continue to fly down about once a month and have had no problems. I think its gotten easier with EAPIS reporting.

Before the EAPIS system I would get into my airplane and fly to Mexico. That's it, didn't file a flight plan, didn't ask permission, just went.

Retuning to the U.S. I would call San Diego flight services from about 8500 feet in the area of San Felipe and inform them I would be crossing the Air Defense Zone (border) in one hour, they would assign a squawk for my transponder to identify my aircraft when crossing the border.

So, I could fly down anytime and return anytime - this gave us FREEDOM to come and go like law abiding citizens.

Now with the EAPIS system we must prefile and recieve approval for the exact time of departure and the exact time of re entering the U.S. Must also give passport numbers of all onboard and not change anything or get reamed for a $50,000 fine.

Going to Baja was always about escaping civilization for adventure. Now you must have computer access while camping on a deserted beach and know exactly to the minute when you are crossing the border. How fearful can our country get?

We used to call our planes "pleasure aircraft."
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 06:30 PM

Its not a whole lot better for people crossing in cars/trucks. Homeland Security are the new "N-zis". For the most part Rude, Power Drunk, and proud of it. Most of us could relate instances at the border crossings where we were subject to or witnessed these things...Its shameful...And apparently we can do nothing about it....

cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 06:49 PM
DHS & Immigration

Somewhat off Serenidad topic, but relevant nevertheless.

Having heard the above comments it comes to mind that most of us are getting a little upset with the status quo.

The general opinion seems to be that we can't do anything about it - Wrong! We can not change the system easily, but we can do something about the individuals.

One person complaining will get nowhere, but if we all start in on it we can at least put a question mark against an unpleasant officers next promotion board.

To file a complaint about staff misconduct directly to Department of Homeland Security, Office of the inspector general , you can do it:

-by calling (800) 323-8603
- by writing to:
Department of Homeland Security
245 Murray Drive, S.E., Building 410
Washington, DC 20538
Attn: Office of Inspector General

- by email to: DHSOIGHOTLINE@DHS.GOV
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 07:04 PM

We cross the border with Canada several times each year with our boat. Since we are a charter boat with paying guests aboard we have to go through the APIS system. After several years we are learning the ropes, but the process seems to change every time.
And it's not just the US, the Canadians focus on different aspects of their laws every time we cross the border.
The Port of Entry is in our small town, and all the ICE agents know who we are, but they still put on their stern faces when I walk in with my hand full of forms.
I have had pilot friends tell me the same story about being EXACTLY on time that some here have experienced.
The, I can only say, rude behavior seems to be endemic to the new ICE ethic.
My good friend was the station head in town, and he took early retirement in order to get clear before the new agenda was implemented. He now works part time as a hotel desk clerk, and has no regrets.
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 07:07 PM

What I'm trying to say is that it isn't that the agents are arrogant and rude, instead I think that is the official policy now.
The "Face of America" is these folks, and that is very sad to me.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 09:31 AM

Stickers - right on man.

Keith - we [BBP/BPI and AOPA] worked for years as a big lobby and could not beat DHS CBP. Despite all the letters and open comments on the NOPRM site - the feds didn't care less and wrote/passed the rules/law.

your comments well intended but you are way late.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 10:40 AM

Yes Mike you are right, as usual. It is late in the day!

The thing that peeves me is how America is becoming, and I say this as a Brit, whose great, great grandfather became an American citizen.

Those folk, the Pioneers, came from Europe to a magnificent wilderness and turned it into the greatest country the world has ever seen! They would be upset to see it now.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 12:49 PM

Keith you are so very right!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 07:01 AM

Stickers, your comments about having to file an Eapis with the exact minute of departure, etc, is just the opposite of what I have been doing since the inception of Eapis.

You only have to prefile and NOT depart/cross the border BEFORE your stated time. I routinely would get ready to depart, say the Sernidad, go online and file. Virtually instantly I would get a reply. I would always make sure the border crossing time was well before I actually got there and never have had a problem with a hundred border crossings, both into Canada and Baja.

Yes, a computer is required sometime before you cross. Though I do not like the requirement to gain permission to leave or enter MY country, it isn't that big of a deal, IMO.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.