Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7
Author: Subject: Help- Cabo cops robbed my son
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 01:58 PM

BajaDixon.....I'm glad you reported this incident on this site. There is no way to know if such incidents are isolated or represent a pattern of conduct unless people do just that.
I hope that you encourage your son to make a report to both the local police in Cabo, and state and federal authorities, as well.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 02:03 PM

what he said.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 02:09 PM

This is a life lesson. This is how you make conservatives.
("A conservative is nothing more than a liberal who has been mugged")

The harder I work, the luckier I get
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
There were more than a few stories almost identical to what your son described in Cabo in the late nineties or early 2000s, as I recall. Seems like most did involve Squid Roe exits in the wee hours. It became rather well publicized and I believe there was an official effort to curtail it. It stopped pretty quick.

Four cops probably found an opportunity to reminisce on the good ol days and your son was the unfortunate victim.

No comment on the usual "Bobism"...........but you'll get used to them, if you stick around.

I don't know if it is "Urban Myth" or not but I have heard this story before too. I think if I was in Cabo I would try to crawl home before the witching hour.
And this is from a guy that has no problem sticking my... nose... into some pretty spookey places in TJ. And I got shook down by a cop there once before I figured it out.
But I always tell friends who go to Cabo not to walk around there late at night because of the predatory cop thing.
Never really heard of any other bad things happening there except that.
Sorry to hear about and glad you son is ok.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 02:50 PM

This should be reported, armed robbery by cops is serious, serious, serious. Those guys need to go to jail. There probably is a tourist assistance hotline in Cabo like there is in the northern part of the peninsula. Here's a link to the northern hotline, they may be able to steer you in the right direction. Bilingual.

http://www.discoverbajacalifornia.com/078.php

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 05:04 PM

Having owned several Nightclubs in Sacramento and San Francisco....

Never walk out of a club alone. ......especially in another country.

Your son, I am sorry for his issues with the thugs. These muggings do indeed happen in Mexico.......as well as in the good ol USA. I am a little surprised that he did not get the police car mark (number) as these thugs sped off.

DavidK gave out some solid advice for you. I'll add that any at nightclub in the world....there are issues inside and outside of it. There are risks that one takes when indulging the night scene........always go with a friend or more!

Now....teach about the wonderful Baja and it's whales!

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 05:17 PM

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate and unpleasant experience.

Cabo San Lucas is paradise for some and just not for others.

David for some of us, reading your posts is akin to driving past an accident and feeling compelled to look at the bloody mess ..

Glad no personal injury involved to your son - and well put Hook.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
Sorry to hear about the unfortunate and unpleasant experience.

Cabo San Lucas is paradise for some and just not for others.

David for some of us, reading your posts is akin to driving past an accident and feeling compelled to look at the bloody mess ..

Glad no personal injury involved to your son - and well put Hook.

----and for others, Reading David's posts is the highlight of our visit to the Forum-------he is like an encyclopedia of back roads Baja Norte, and I love it!!!! ;):yes:

Yes, these "muggings" happen----everywhere-----and it pays to be careful where you are during certain times of the day and night, and be very alert-------I feel for the victims, for sure!!!

Barry

Barry
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDixon
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
tell him to just get on with his vacation. has he asked you to "send money" because "the cops" took all of his? maybe he's having too much fun to go home so soon!!!

if nothing else, he'll have a good story to tell his kids about that night in Cabo!

He has his own money so he doesn't need mine. I kind of like your light hearted approach. the important thing is he didn't get hurt. I remember someone else telling me the same thing happened to them about 5 years ago. It does make for a good story, I guess. But it's still ugly.

thanks for the hug. none of us know what really happened that night so expect the full range of responses, including Bob and Susan's. they are grizzled veterans of Baja so don't discount what they have to say, even if it isn't what you wanted to hear.

millions of tourists visit Baja every year. now your family has a happy ending to share. be thankful!

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Now....teach about the wonderful Baja and it's whales!

....and how it's important to avoid the pitfalls of bordertowns,,,Cabo,,,and big cities -anywhere-!!!
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 07:17 PM

Barry A - For the record its great David shares his wealth of info about things you enjoy .. however, its annoying as all get-out that because he does not enjoy/like Cabo (or perhaps its that he cant afford Cabo) he slams it at every opportunity.

Back on topic - McFez is a man of experience and thus knows from whence he speaks.

Sh*t happens everywhere - look for the good and enjoy that ...

Baja Dixon glad your son is ok and obviously with you he has a great support system.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Barry A - For the record its great David shares his wealth of info about things you enjoy .. however, its annoying as all get-out that because he does not enjoy/like Cabo (or perhaps its that he cant afford Cabo) he slams it at every opportunity.

Back on topic - McFez is a man of experience and thus knows from whence he speaks.

Baja Dixon glad your son is ok and obviously with you he has a great support system.

Guess you missed my July Trip Report with tons of photos and good things to say about Cabo? My comment above was for anyone who feels the need to nightclub after midnight, alone... I mean he could have been killed (specially if it was in an American city)!

I like to think I have always been supportive of Cabo Magic, and include a link to it in my site. So, sorry if I didn't make it clear my comment was to people like this poor kid who the cops rolled, in that wonderful town at 1:30 am. Maybe I was too harsh... But, how about you and all the other tourism business owners in Cabo San Lucas visit the police station an lodge a serious complaint on behalf of that young man, as his story only enforces the idea of how unsafe Mexico is...??

Again, I am sorry for saying avoid Cabo if it costs you any business loss... I feel it is this thread and this man's experience that will have FAR more negative impact!

I do want to promote the good of Baja... even Cabo... that is why I said so many kind things in my July 2012 trip report. We had great fun in Cabo that day... and were back in La Paz, by dark!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
You already know this, and it will make a good lesson to newbies, sadly at your son's expense...

1) Avoid Cabo (it's at the tip of Baja so you never need to go there to see the rest of Baja)
2) If you can't avoid Cabo, then avoid it at night.
3) If you can't avoid Cabo at night, don't walk out of a bar at 1:30 am, alone!

He can try filing a complaint if he can identify the cops. Boycotting bars in Cabo by everyone will have business owners get onto the police to stop that activity.

Don't be an easy mark!

Lots of people love Cabo and they love the party and the late hours. These things happen in lots of places-- not a good reason to boycott every place!

Curious David, upon what do you base your information and advice? How often are you in Cabo? And the comment about being an easy mark is one of those obnoxious blame the victim things --- :no:

Having met BajaDixon and knowing about him, he is certainly not a person who would sound an alarm just to sound the alarm and I well imagine he knows his son.

What is disturbing is that when someone comes on this forum to report a happening and ask if anyone knows what is happening (someone who is familiar with the area) they are instantly questioned, as is his story. The ONLY people who have a clue about what is a common happening in Cabo are those who are in Cabo. Then again, Woody put some good perspective on the whole thing.

Shoot, since we have been in BA there was an armed robbery at a local store, and attempted break-ins at a local grocery store and a construction yard --- and it is considered a very crime "free" area.

Sorry Bob that this happened to your son --- never a pleasant experience.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 07:30 PM

See my post right above which was made while you were typing.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
See my post right above which was made while you were typing.

It does not change anything. :no:

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Yes, these "muggings" happen----everywhere-----

Barry

WHAT??? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FRIGGIN' MIND?

These were uniformed cops that put a gun to the guy's head and robbed him. This doesn't happen everywhere.

Your remark and the post blaming the victim because he was out late in a bar in Cabo in the middle of the tourist zone are idiotic.

COPS USED THEIR WEAPONS TO ROB SOMEONE.

ARMED ROBBERY BY COPS!!!

This is not business as usual.

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH

COPS USED THEIR WEAPONS TO ROB SOMEONE.

ARMED ROBBERY BY COPS!!!

This is not business as usual.

There's only a fine line seperating this method of armed robbery from the usual mordida and some will insist mordida is OK...a part of the culture.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 07:58 PM

I wouldn't call the difference between putting a gun to a guy's head and taking a bribe for an alleged traffic violation a fine line.

Amazing you don't see the difference.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
I wouldn't call the difference between putting a gun to a guy's head and taking a bribe for an alleged traffic violation a fine line.

Amazing you don't see the difference.

Well...I was being facetous, but if a cop in a mordida operation wasn't wearing a gun, who would pay attention to him?
Law enforcement is all about the gun...not the badge.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Guess you missed my July Trip Report with tons of photos and good things to say about Cabo? My comment above was for anyone who feels the need to nightclub after midnight, alone... I mean he could have been killed (specially if it was in an American city)!

I like to think I have always been supportive of Cabo Magic, and include a link to it in my site. So, sorry if I didn't make it clear my comment was to people like this poor kid who the cops rolled, in that wonderful town at 1:30 am. Maybe I was too harsh... But, how about you and all the other tourism business owners in Cabo San Lucas visit the police station an lodge a serious complaint on behalf of that young man, as his story only enforces the idea of how unsafe Mexico is...??

Again, I am sorry for saying avoid Cabo if it costs you any business loss... I feel it is this thread and this man's experience that will have FAR more negative impact!

I do want to promote the good of Baja... even Cabo... that is why I said so many kind things in my July 2012 trip report. We had great fun in Cabo that day... and were back in La Paz, by dark!

Maybe delete your offensive report:?:

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.