Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
They are stepping up the game at Chapparal?

Sure are. I get the feeling that Chaparral is a test lab for their entire system.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 12:53 PM
David and Ralph

Please get off the board, go outside to the sandbox and try and play nice.

If either of you do not have anything POSITIVE to contribute to the topic of the post, please STFU

Have a nice day :lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Please get off the board, go outside to the sandbox and try and play nice.

If either of you do not have anything POSITIVE to contribute to the topic of the post, please STFU

Have a nice day :lol:

Yes Dad!:lol::light:

(I will clean up my mess when I come back... to play nice with the good Nomads);D

Edit: DONE! ;D

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 01:04 PM

Speaking of El Chaparral.....I haven't noticed myself, but the person this thread is about spent a bit of time outside of his vehicle in the inspection bay and noticed overhead cameras directed downward, possibly to oversee the inspectors for collecting duty on their own.
Can you imagine how much money was misdirected over the years at the gate? It had to be one of the countrys best paying jobs. I once had a long conversation with one of the inspectors and at that time he and his wife lived in Chula Vista.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 01:08 PM

I gotta say I am shocked that they didnt just put a tax on the bikes. I have paid taxes on boogie boards, surf board and bikes but it is so little that I fork it over with a smile.

An American who stayed with us and has a segunda in Ensenada and so he enters mexico with mucho stuff every week told us that he is not allowed to cross in TJ. It is supposedly only for tourists. He had to go to any other border but is not to enter (unless not bringing stuff) via San Ysidro.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
According to the rules that are part of the Customs Declaration for passengers entering Mexico, which they will give you in English at the border, here is what you can bring AND I DON'T SEE BICYCLES ANYWHERE ON THE LIST):

BAGGAGE AND DUTY FREE ALLOWANCE
Pasengers may transport, exempt duty, new or used merchandises that make up their personal baggage as well as duty-free allowance merchandises:

1) Goods considered as personal bagage:
Goods for personal use such as clothes - including one bride trousseau, footwear and personal toiletries and beauty products, `as long as they are appropriate for the duration of the trip; as well as baby travel, hygiene and fun accessories, such as car seat, portacrib, baby carriage, baby walker, etc., including their accessories; two cameras or video cameras, including 12 rolls of film or video cassettes; photographic material; two cellular phones or beepers or pagers; one portable typewriter; one personal organizer; one laptop, notebook, omnibook or similar;one portable photocopier or printer;one portable recorder and one projector, including accessories; two personal sports equipments, four fishing rods, three surfboards or wind surfing boards and their accesssoris, trophs or recognitions that can normally be transported by the passenger; one running machine and one exercise bike; one portable sound recorder or player;; one digital sound player or portable CD player and one DVD player, as well as a set of portable speakers and their accessories; five laser discs, 10 DVDs, 30 CDs or magnetic tapes, for sound playing,, three storage software and 5 storage cdevices for any electronic equipment; books, magazines and printed documents; five toys, including collection toys, and one video game console, as well as five video games; one blood pressure self-monitoring device and one blood glucose self-monitoring device, or a mixed device, and their reagents, as well as personal medicine (in the event of psycotropic substances, passenger must show prescription); one binoculars and one telescope; two musical instruments and their accessories; one tent and other camping articles; one set of hand tools and the suitcase, which may include one drill, tweezers, wrenches, dies, screwdrivers, cables, etc.

Passengers over 18 years may transport up to 20 ciggarette packets, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco, as well as up to 3 liters of alcholic dinks and six liters of wine.

Old persons and disabled persons may transport devices that compensate or reduce their limitations, such as walkers, wheelchairs, crutches, walking sticks, etc.

Pasengers may transport up to two dogs or cats, as well as the accessories necessary for pet transportation and cleaning, showing the pertinent animal importing permit issued by Sagarpa.

2) Duty-free allowance:
Merchandise additional to the baggage, which monetary value may be provided by invoice or sale receipt and such value dosent exceed 300 USD, or the equivalent MXN currency when passenger entries to Mexico by maritime or airport; or 75 USD when passenger entries by land. Alcholic drinks, tobbaccos, and gasoline may not be part of the duty-free allowance.

DURING HOLIDAY PERIOD, HOLY WEEK, SUMMER, NEW YEAR, MEXICAN PASSENGERS ENTERING MEXICO BY LAND MAY IMPORT, UNDER THEIR DUTY-FREE ALLOWANCE, MERCHANDISE WITH A VALUE UP TO 300 USD OR EQUIVALENT IN MXN CURRENCY,EXCEPT FOR PERSONS THAT RESIDE IN THE BORDER. PLEASE LOOK UP FOR THE BEGINING AND END OF THESE HOLYDAY PERIODS AT CUSTOMS DESK OR WWW.ADUANAS.GOB.MX

TAX PAYMENTS

>Passengers may import mercahndise other than their personal baggage without hiring a customs broker, paying the general tax of 16%, provided that the value of the merchandise, excluding the duty-free allowance, doesn't exceed 3000 USD or the equivalent in MXN currency, and provided that the passenger has the invoice, sale receipt, or any other document expressing the commercial value of the merchandise.
>Taxes may be paid by Internet at www.banjjercito.com.mx or www.adunnas.gob.mx completeing the form"Payment of Foreign Trade Duties" or through automatic centers.
> Value of computer equipment, together with the rest of the merchandise, must not exceed 4,000 USD or equivalent in other currencies.
> Merchandise subject to non-tariff regulations or restrictions (permits, certificates,notices) may not be imported.
>In order to calculate the tax base, duty-free allowances mentioned in part 2 may be subtracted from merchandise value.

Bob:

A year or so ago I contacted the Mexican Consulate in San Diego as I was having varied interpretations of what I could or not take over and we had a discussion on line about it.

Blanca was quite interested and I sent her the information (pdf) that I had received from the consular office which is several pages and inclusive. Might ask her if she still has it in her files I am unable to locate my copy.

The big deal at that time was children's toys made in China, which are restricted although they are sold new in Baja by large stores. Perhaps that's the reason for the restriction. Competition.

Blanca, if you're still in here could you check for that please.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 01:36 PM

yes yes yes I will hunt for it and I had forgotten that anything made in China could not be brought in ...but sadly, this was indeed the case. Off to hunt now ....

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
I gotta say I am shocked that they didnt just put a tax on the bikes.

I'll have to ask how that went cuz I'm sure it had to be an option. Like I said, it probably wouldn't be an acceptable option for my friend. He spends most of his retired life just doing things for people....for nothing.... and perhaps he isn't in the mood to bend with the times.
He did mention, however, that when he returned to San Ysidro, he saw a small group of day-workers standing near a corner so he gave them the bikes.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 01:55 PM

and I bet they were pleased as punch. The thing is, if you say the used bike is worth say $5, the tax might be 50 cents. So, all we are talking about is a couple dollars at most but I really get that sometimes it is the principle that just irks one.

I can't find the original document Cisco sent me (I deleted the u2u and the old computer that would have had it saved is long gone to heaven).

Here is the link to that thread on the ins and outs of bringing stuff across the border in 2012, if anyone is interested:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52908#pid6209...

[Edited on 3-3-2013 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
and I bet they were pleased as punch. The thing is, if you say the used bike is worth say $5, the tax might be 50 cents. So, all we are talking about is a couple dollars at most but I really get that sometimes it is the principle that just irks one.

Like I said, I'll find out how it went down. I can't imagine him going through the return procedure, which included going back through the US gate [said he got secondary there as well] for just pocket change.
Now I'm really curious.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
yes yes yes I will unt for it and I had forgotten that anything made in China could not be brought in ...but sadly, this was indeed the case. Off to hunt now ....

Nothing new here, I guess. Maybe almost twenty years back, I rode with a friend up to Otay, Mexico Customs to pick up a pallet full of electronic parts from China. My friend worked for a US lady who started a cable TV business in Ensenada.
Anyway, the paperwork for the importation was huge, just because it came from China.
It seems Mexico and China were [probably still are] having disputes over trying to corner the market on supplying cheap labor.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 03:53 PM

"Constructive means providing authoritative (actual experience.not opinion) dialogue to the thread" (rts551)

"con-struc-tive - 1. serving to advance a good purpose; helpful" (American Heritage Dictionary)

I rather go with a helpful offering, than a bunch of so called authorities who can't agree on anything, let alone their intolerance of hearing out all of our friends on this board.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Speaking of El Chaparral.....I haven't noticed myself, but the person this thread is about spent a bit of time outside of his vehicle in the inspection bay and noticed overhead cameras directed downward, possibly to oversee the inspectors for collecting duty on their own.
Can you imagine how much money was misdirected over the years at the gate? It had to be one of the countrys best paying jobs. I once had a long conversation with one of the inspectors and at that time he and his wife lived in Chula Vista.
what I posted was aord-for-word excatly what is printed on the back of the SAT/ADUANA Customs Declaration for passengers entering Mexico form that they gave me (in English) at Chapparel. I failed to include the INFINGEMENTS AND SANCTIONS part so here it is:

Mexican law provides, omong other, the following infringements and penalties related to merchandise introduction:

> Failing to declare at customs the transport of currency, Mexican or foreign checks, money orders, or other monetary instrument, or a combination of them, in an aggregate amount exceeding 10,000 USD is a violation of Mexican Law and such violation is sanctioned with a fine equal to 20% -40% of the amount exceeding 10,000 USD and with applicable criminal penalties.
> Introducing or extracting hidden merchandisees, or mercandises in an artificial manner so their nature may go unnoticed, when import or export of such merchandiseses are subject to tax payment, is a violation of Mexican Law and such violation is sanctioned with a fine equal to 70 -100% of the commercial value of merchandise.
> Omitting total or partial tax payment. When infingement is generated only due to a tax omission and the value of merchandise doesn't exceed 3,000 USD or the equivalent MXN currency, suchinfringement is sanctioned with a fine equal to 115% of the commercial value of merchandise. Once tax and fine have been paid, customs authority shall give back merhandise to passenger.
> When passenger can;t prove through pertinent customs documents, that merchandises have complied with all requirements established in the Customs Law for introduction to Mexico, no declared merchandises will be seized, as well as the means of transport when passenger is entering Mexico by land.
> With regard to no decared merchandises that aren't subject to non-tariff regulations or restrictions, passenger may choose abandonmentafter paying the respective fine.
This is also word-for-word, including punctuation, of what is printed, in English, on the back of the Customs Declartion Form. It looks like it was written by a US attorney and I have no idea what th second to the last item, that starts off "When passenger can;t prove..", means.

Bob Durrell
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 09:01 PM

I think it means that they can confiscate the vehicle if they determine the goods are contraband ie not declared and not having proper paperwork.

Come visit La Bocana

Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 12:33 AM

A few years ago we brought a couple of duffle bags full of used clothes into Cabo to give to an organization that works with disabled kids in the cape area. Alaska Airlines, when they heard where the bags were bound, waived the over-weight and extra baggage fees, but it was made clear to us by Mexican Customs officials that they COULD tax us for importing clothes, used or not. My sense was that their concern was that in donating the clothes we were, in essence, preventing local used clothes shops from making some sales.
Which is true.
It seems that the best solution may be to bring dollars, and stop at one or two of the many shops selling used merchandise, bikes, jackets, and clothes, and just buy some stuff to then give away.
If this post violates someones criteria for having enough baja experience to have a useful thought, I appologise in advance.
dtutko1
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 06:53 AM

Trish and I have been blessed with 11 grandkids. Every year we bring down a hundred pounds or so of slightly used clothing. We had heard of the problems at the border w/bringing used clothing down, so we went to our local Hogar del Ninos and asked them for a letter in Spanish explaining that the ropas we were bringing down were for them. When we crossed this year at El Chaparrel we were sent to the secondary inspection spot. When they asked what was in the tube on top of the car, I told them and produced the letter. They couldn't care less and didn't want to read it. They just sent us on our way.

Dorado Don
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
I think it means that they can confiscate the vehicle if they determine the goods are contraband ie not declared and not having proper paperwork.

Maybe then I was lucky when they simply sent me back to the US when I had an used outboard motor in the trunk. But that was after I declared it, expecting to pay a tax. When I asked the guy to let me go into Mexico anyway he said "I can't, there are cameras and my boss is watching." Young guy, spoke good English. Seemed like he understood my feelings and didn't like doing what he had to do.

Then the American inspector in the booth when returning accused me of trying to smuggle the motor into Mexico, but that's a different story.

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 08:06 AM

i'll say it one more time: tecate, tecate, tecate!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
i'll say it one more time: tecate, tecate, tecate!

Never too early for a cold one, eh Mike?
SALUD
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 10:17 AM

heh, heh....ya got me, amigo....si!...nunca!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.