Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Border Patrol and Hwy 98
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
I read something that the Border Patrol HARASSMENT ZONE had beem increased fron 50 miles to 100 miles Inland.

True. From any border. Canada, Mexico, Pacific and Atlantic.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 12:14 PM

I remember going for a bike ride very near the border. Cut down the hill on a trail, then used the frontage road along the fence. A border patrol Bronco soon intercepted me.

"Are you aware of the number of sensors you set off on your bicycle ride?"

But NOTHING was as scary as those first days after 09/11. I decided to cut across from THING ROAD to 188. Ran into a gosh darnned BRADLEY tracked vehicle blocking the brecha with its cannon aimed right at my radiator. What in the world were these people thinking of?

I find it's a tiny help to have disabled plates on the car, and a blue placard on the dash. With a bad spine, US Customs wants me to sit on a hard bench while going through the car, They objected to me carrying a cushion from the car to to bench. I told them I had a herniated disc. This young punk CBP asked me "Do you want an ambulance?" I lodged a complaint with the port director, and then again with agencies in Washington. After four months I got a letter supposedly written by the agent (too young to be a special agent) apologizing for his smart mouth.

I can only imagine how bad this gauntlet is for Mexicans. Legal ones, with correct documentation that cross the border and spend millions of dollars shopping in the USA. The problem is these jerks are untouchable. I want BIG SIS to ride with me and subject HER to some of the smartass scrutiny she is responsible over.

Grumble, Mumble, Belch

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
So Ged, do the Mounties have checkpoints or randomly pull you guys over looking for illegals or drug runners? :?:

David,
What is your point? Are you asking a question or setting up a comment...or some drivel about "freedoms and rights"?

Canada is a quite different country with many different social and cultural factors than your country.

The RCMP generally do a very good job of fulfilling their duties and catching bad guys.

Don't believe everything you think....
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
So Ged, do the Mounties have checkpoints or randomly pull you guys over looking for illegals or drug runners? :?:

David,
What is your point? Are you asking a question or setting up a comment...or some drivel about "freedoms and rights"?

Canada is a quite different country with many different social and cultural factors than your country.

The RCMP generally do a very good job of fulfilling their duties and catching bad guys.

CBP was really bad in, I believe it was 2008 on the Olympic Peninsula. Got to the point where the local's pretty well drove them out from what I understand but from Neah bay east to Port Townsend I was stopped repeatedly (drive a generic white, windowless van) as I am on the southern border.

I left the area and never went back. When asked why I was stopped I was told because "we don't want 'the bad guy's' coming in from Canada".

This should not be a reflection on Canada by any means. It is the U.S. CBP overreaction and general abuse of authority that is rampant within the agency.

Same on the southern border. When I see them racing their quads with each other in the T.J. valley and over by the model airplane place it sickens me.

The overstaffed SW border is full of a lot of bored enforcers who want any kind of diversion (can I look in your car???) to break up their day.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 01:11 PM
Maintiens le Droit

Quote:

this guy seems much more friendly than USA CBP guys:

Maintiens le Droit
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 01:30 PM

I have always had a interest in custom cars and trucks. Back in 1988 I had a new Nissan Pickup It was Professionaly lowered and had a tonneau cover on it. I was making my anual treck from Ca back To Houston tx. At a ckeck point just outside El Paso they stopped me and wanted to know what I was Hauling, I answered Nothing so they made me remove the toneau cover and there was nothing but two suitcases in the bed. because the truck sat so close to the ground they brought out a floor jack and after jacking it up crawled all around under it.after going over it inside and out with a fine tooth comb they let me go. I had a feeling they still didnt belive there wasnt anything in the truck as I drove away.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
I have always had a interest in custom cars and trucks. Back in 1988 I had a new Nissan Pickup It was Professionaly lowered and had a tonneau cover on it. I was making my anual treck from Ca back To Houston tx. At a ckeck point just outside El Paso they stopped me and wanted to know what I was Hauling, I answered Nothing so they made me remove the toneau cover and there was nothing but two suitcases in the bed. because the truck sat so close to the ground they brought out a floor jack and after jacking it up crawled all around under it.after going over it inside and out with a fine tooth comb they let me go. I had a feeling they still didnt belive there wasnt anything in the truck as I drove away.

I totally dis-like that checkpoint. I forget the movie guy's name that makes martial arts movies but he is a volunteer deputy sheriff in that county and visits that checkpoint. Consequently they have a martial arts enforcers attitude to contend with in addition to their normal crappiness.

But, warning to all. The checkpoint east of Yuma is the most hated. CBP officers have been deputized and will do thorough checks whenever they have any suspicion of marijuana in the vehicle. They will bust you for a seed and they use that as a cash cow for the county in fines and enforcement, lawyer fees if you don't come back to court and need local representation,...
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 01:51 PM

Seems to be a lot of paranoia around here..

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
Seems to be a lot of paranoia around here..

It's our last line of defense before we have to turn our minds over to Homeland Security.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 02:01 PM

"18.6(E) Checkpoints:
The Border Patrol conducts two types of inland traffic-checking operations: checkpoints and roving patrols. Border Patrol agents can make routine vehicle stops without any suspicion to inquire into citizenship and immigration status at a reasonably located permanent or temporary checkpoint provided the checkpoint is used for the purpose of determining citizenship of those who pass through it, and not for the general search for those persons or the vehicle. Inquiries must be brief and limited to the immigration status of the occupants of the vehicle. The only permissible search is a “plain view” inspection to ascertain whether there are any concealed illegal aliens."

"18.7(A) Mere Suspicion:
At the border..., an inspector needs only mere suspicion to justify a search and comply with the requirements of the Fourth Amendment. This is because the person is attempting to enter the United States from abroad and may reasonably be required to demonstrate that the person and his or her belongings are entitled to enter the United States."

"18.7(B) Reasonable Suspicion:

Before an inspector may constitutionally detain a person (non-entry related case), the inspector must have reasonable suspicion that the person is an alien and is illegally in the United States. This higher degree of suspicion arises generally in questioning persons encountered in and around the port who are awaiting persons referred to secondary. This suspicion is based on questioning of alienage alone and also involves specific articulable facts, such as particular characteristics or circumstances which the inspector can describe in words."

- Customs & Border Protection, Inspector's Field Manual (2008)

"As we have stated, '[t]he Constitution [is] violated [ ] when the detention extend[s] beyond the valid reason for the initial stop.'"
- Fifth Circuit (U.S. vs Machuca Barrera), 2001

"The scope of a stop is limited to investigation of matters justifying the stop."

"The Fourth Amendment's requirement that stops be reasonable applies equally to a checkpoint."
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 03:04 PM

Crossing north at Tecate 10 years ago on my street bike (after 3 weeks getting dusty and dirty in Baja), the female customs officer was brusquely shoved aside by a male officer saying "He's mine!" and he directed me to the stainless steel table where he proceeded to go into EVERY thing in my bags....he was sorely disappointed when he found no substances, people, or ideas that were offensive or illegal.

I just stood and watched knowing that his efforts were futile....I politely asked him to replace everything as he found it (knowing he would not)...he stomped away in a huff :saint: :lol:

I know what the game is and just grin and bear it.....the last list I want my name on is a border list :light:

Canadian custom /border agents can be dinks, too.....we just have far less of that attitude up here.....and have far less of the problem the southern states have.

Our 49th parallel border has become worse since the 9-11 thing and the American reaction :cool:

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:

David,

DON"T DO IT DK, IT"S A TRAP!!!!!!

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot

DON"T DO IT DK, IT"S A TRAP!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

David, yer killin' me....:P :biggrin:

And DK wasn't doing that???? Huh, Dave, huh???? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I really want to avoid the border thing being about DK.

Besides, I don't like the feeling of the hook in my throat when I stoop to take the bait :rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-28-2013 by motoged]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 09:28 PM

It was just a friendly question. Never mind.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 09:56 PM

Quote:
It was just a friendly question. Never mind.

David, sounds like you are in luck:
http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2011/07/mounties_let_honest_pot...

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 3-29-2013 at 12:04 PM

Canadian Customs gave me a hard time back in 2005. Blaine crossing. "Why are you coming to Canada? Are you looking for work? Where are your firearms?" On Vancouver Island at least the Mounties were extremely strict about driving rules.

I sat in a jam packed waiting room returning. CBP had my car keys. One and one half hours on a hard bench. No bathroom. Through the drawers and cupboards of my camper the contents had been tossed. Neatly stacked clothing in tight closets jumbled. After the wait a woman approached me with my keys and said "We'd appreciate it if you left right away, we need the room".

This is insanity. An omnipotent law enforcement agency totally out of control as far as civility is concerned. The idiots in Washington do not CARE if hundreds of millions of dollars are lost yearly because Canadians and Mexicans would rather stay home and shop rather than run this gauntlet.

"Improve Your Attitude Or Take An Across The Board Pay Cut Of 25 Percent"
(Yeah right, but I can dream)

Made me long for México where a person enters and encounters little or no hassle.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2013 at 12:19 PM

Dangerous? Construction, farming are dangerous.
Can't see sitting in a SUV on a desert Hwy reaches
any level of danger. Are there a few incidents every
yr., yes. But so are there for truck drivers. Last
time I checked, illegal crossers into the US were way down
due to the US economy, a certain # of illegals
have returned to Mex due to lack of work here.
You would be unlikely to find Border Patrol listed
in tha Labor Stats as dangerous

[Edited on 3-29-2013 by sancho]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2013 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
This is insanity. An omnipotent law enforcement agency totally out of control as far as civility is concerned. The idiots in Washington do not CARE if hundreds of millions of dollars are lost yearly because Canadians and Mexicans would rather stay home and shop rather than run this gauntlet.

It's shameful when you consider that for some visitors to the US, this is the first thing they see...........their first encounter with Americans.

So much for, "Image is everything."
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-29-2013 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco

When asked why I was stopped I was told because "we don't want 'the bad guy's' coming in from Canada".

Canadians are allowed to enter the US without a Visa and my Canadian wife had been doing that to come to Baja for 15 years. When I married her in 2008 we were stopped at the Canadian/US border and asked if we were married. When we confessed that we were she was permanently refused entry into the US until she obtained a green/ permanent residence card. In the meantime she had to fly non-stop from Canada to Mexico City and then Tijuana. Two years and $2000 later, INCLUDING 2 TRIPS TO jUAREZ FOR INTERVIEWS. she got the card.
All this because she was dumb enough to marry an American.

Bob Durrell
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2013 at 09:45 AM

Yet the "Big Fights" are over taxes, Obamacare, and the 2nd Amendment. I wonder just how many "arguments" that consume public attention are orchestrated by folks in power to keep a public with attention deficit disorder from seeing what's REALLY going on. CBP does not give a damn if they KILL cross border shopping because their 80K/yr salary is not dependent on it. What am I saying? - No one is Washington gives a good gosh darnn about the public because when they feel like it they give themselves raises and say MORE TAXES! Ever learn the hard way about arguing with CBP? My advice is don't try it because they have enough regulatory arsenal to force the issue to the point of body cavity searches. One tiny step lower than Geheim Stattspolizei. As long as I am b-tching, find out how many Border patrol and US Customs agents are outright racist. It's stunning.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.