Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: MEXICAN 1000
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 08:33 AM

Thanks all - so it's a rally and not a race, but I guess it will still be noisy and dusty and we'll have a trashed road when it's all over.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalinda
Thanks all - so it's a rally and not a race, but I guess it will still be noisy and dusty and we'll have a trashed road when it's all over.

They will be racing on the dirt roads...the rally part means they stop at night and transit paved roads at the speed limit.

Also, not all cars are classic. Starting a couple of years ago, many newer vehicles were allowed into the race. It has become very competitive.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 10:20 AM

I am confused on dates (not unusual for me) The start is today BUT the real start is tommorrow? The leg to Loreto is on Monday, right?
Baja Linda? (how come so many people are named Baja) Dust and dirt for sure, dunno about trashed roads....

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 10:27 AM

Real start is Sunday, leg to Loreto is Monday. :-)

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 10:32 AM

Gracias, there will be an extra Pacifico waiting for you at KM60...

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 10:45 AM

Believe me, since it appears that the rally has become very competitive as stated above, after about 100 cars and trucks have gone by....the road will be a mess.

chuckie - the baja names just go with the territory, I guess.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 03:46 PM

Yeah I know, lots of Baja's in this family tree..maybe if you offered free beer we could get a restoration crew to smooth your road?:?:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 06:19 PM

Just to compare dirt road damage by cars driving fast, and maybe to change a mind or two on Baja racing:

Hurricanes and flash floods do a whole lot more damage, and instead of 'flooding' money to the people of Baja, the flash floods take away money from the people of Baja.

:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2013 at 07:33 PM

Hate to post this, but was in Loreto this afternoon as the motorcyles and trucks starting arriving (i'll try to post a photo) when someone told me they had a casualty outside Loreto. All I know is it was confirmed to be true by another driver and it was a motorcycle.

[Edited on 4-30-2013 by MexicoTed]

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2013 at 07:40 PM

this in, but must be unrelated.

'Grand Marshal' of the race, Mark McMillin, was in hospital in San Diego!>>> Mark quoted this morning as saying, "No problem, I might still make the Post Party!"

Luke McMillin reports on his dad's incident & injuries, "The McMillin Macadu car is still moving after a couple hours of downtime today after an accident. Just to clear up the rumors, my dad, Mark, driving made a left hand turn when a pre runner race car missed the turn, drove over the side of the car, the pre runner tire went over the cars rear tire, over the side pod of the car, through Macadu's window net hit my dad in the shoulder and broke his collar bone. He's very soar but very luckily the broken collar bone is the worst of the damage. Mark is back in SD and he is OK, I just took him to the hospital, he's back at home tonight and will go back this week for surgery..... The pre runner that hit him, did not stop to see if they were ok..." "He will be ok, his collar bone needs some serious work in surgery but we're thankful that was all that happened, could have been a lot worse. Macadu is fixed and the crew is planning on finishing the race for my dad." "No need to call them out, my dad knows the other driver very well and im sure they'll be talking soon. There's no way that driver knew he actually made contact with the driver with his tire and continued on, but still it's the "Happiest race on earth" not the Baja 1000 and even then he ran over a little car.... Only intent of the 'talk' was to clear any rumors going up and down the peninsula and tell everyone that he is OK."
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2013 at 08:02 PM

About 7k before the Loreto ck. Point at km60 on the highway, a buggy ran over a moto driver and it was fatal. Another buggy driven by a doctor stopped to assist. The same doctor stopped at least one other time to help. I `m not releasing names or vehicle numbers. A sad day for the racers and families involved.

On a brighter note, I`ll post pics tomorrow of some of the cars, from the Bel Ray Bullet, called the bullet cuz it only goes straight, according to Bud, to a 57 Chevy, a stock Beatle, a Ford Galaxy and several long travel, Northstar powered boogies.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2013 at 08:39 PM

I was there as well, a very sad hour...I'll wait and let the official news come down..A tragic end to a great day..

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2013 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Just to compare dirt road damage by cars driving fast, and maybe to change a mind or two on Baja racing:

Hurricanes and flash floods do a whole lot more damage, and instead of 'flooding' money to the people of Baja, the flash floods take away money from the people of Baja.

:light:

Great point David! We should cancel the floods and hurricanes.

EDIT - Very sorry to hear about the tragedy.:no:

[Edited on 4-30-2013 by bajadogs]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 11:03 AM

jimmy stocker from idaho. very sad.

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 11:34 AM

His info from ADVRIDER Forums:

Motorcycles owned currently
990 Adventure, Honda CRF 450X

Motorcycles owned past
XR650R, CR480, XR250R, Yamaha 175 enduro, Yamaha 125 enduro, 07 Vstrom 650, Z50 Honda, TTR 230

Dream bike
I gots em',990 Adventure and a CRF450X

Best ride ever taken
Tour of Idaho

Dream ride
I'd like to ride to Baja sur and retire.

Other interests
Family, tinkering on whatever

Occupation
Head Awesome guy at Awesome inc.

Signature
"It's better to go into a corner slow and come out fast, than to go into a corner fast and come out dead."
Stirling Moss

:no::(
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 04:00 PM

Here are some pics. More on my blog.

the famous SS1 Bel Ray Bullet

nomad Chuckie

voted the Best Legs in Chase Crews

[Edited on 4-30-2013 by willyAirstream]

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 04:11 PM

No pics...Por favor!:no:

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 04:49 PM

Si! No mas problema...Great lookin guy by the old school VW!!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
jimmy stocker from idaho. very sad.

Jimmie Stocker is shown as completing Stage 3 in 40th place.
http://www.race-dezert.com/home/2013-norra-mexican-1000-day-...
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I was there as well, a very sad hour...I'll wait and let the official news come down..A tragic end to a great day..

Are you sure you were there?
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.