Author: Subject: Anyone notice?
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Isnt Posada leased land? I dont know.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that leased land is going to be very undesirable, if the fidecomiso is done away with. I would think there might be increased incentive for Mexicans to sell off land they had formerly been leasing, IF we assume that there will be an increase in demand for buying land. And the removal of the fide should make foreigners more comfortable in owning.

If it passes, I dont think I'd want to have much invested in improvements on leased land where the lease is short-term............like year to year. The temptation could be very great for the leasors to terminate the lease and try selling off the individual lots.

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by Hook]

posada [po-sah'-dah]
noun
1. Home, dwelling-house. (f)

2. Longing or lodging house (hospedaje). (f)Posada con asistencia -> board and lodging, inn, tavern, hotel

3. Pocket-case, containing a knife, spoon, and fork. (f)

4. Typical party held at Christmas. (Ante Meridian & Central America & Mexico) (m)

article & past participle
1. Past participle of POSAR.

2. Lodged, rested, lined, reclined, landed (avión).

Velazquez® Spanish and English Dictionary. Copyright © 2007 by Velazquez® Press. All rights reserved.

posada

1(hospedaje) shelter; lodging
dar posada a algn to give shelter to sb; take sb in

2(lugar) (para comer) inn; (para dormir) boarding house

3(morada) house; dwelling

4(Centroamérica) (México) (fiesta) Christmas party

Collins Complete Spanish Electronic Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers 2011

Bob Durrell
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 07:57 AM

Oooooooooook?

24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
Quote:
Originally posted by 24baja
I just spent 40 days in Mexico and spend $3000.00.

I trust your judgment about the mental state of your neighbors, and second the impression that Mulege "feels" different these days.

I think I agree with your assessment we spend alot when we go to Mexico we just choose to have a house and not have toent stay in motels or "SPAS".Connie

well connie...if you own a house you are not a "tourist"
you are a resident and should have a resident visa...
you should be paying homeowner taxes also...
I would call you a "snowbird"

and vagabond...you live in mt Shasta ca...
that's a long drive...
I really wonder how much was spent
on gas alone to travel Baja

I agree we are expensive...but I can't afford to stay at the "Watergate" in washington dc either or I won't

some people don't like to camp for 40 days...
they don't live that way at home and
they don't work all year to spend their vacation
"in the rough"

i'm sorry if I offended you but it is what it is

We may own a house here, but we are still working so we are not snowbirds or residents. We only get to come down 2 to 3 time a year for 10 to 14 days so we consider ourselves "tourists". And as soon as we are here for longer periods we will get the proper papers, but for now we use a tourist visa.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Velazquez® Spanish and English Dictionary. Copyright © 2007 by Velazquez® Press. All rights reserved.

The Velazquez is the authoritative source in the pantheon of dictionaries, but perhaps a bit cumbersome in size and content for simple needs. I had a hardcover edition that, after buying my first computer, attempted to give away and had to hire the services of a forklift to get it out of my house.
Anyone trying to improve a beginners knowledge of Spanish is only confusing his efforts with its use.
Stay simple, my friend.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 09:39 AM

Surprising, to me, are the numbers of Boleo workers who visit the beautiful beaches of Bahia and spend their money in town. Mostly during the summer, verdad? And don't forget the Mexicanos from Northern Baja that visit during Easter Festivities. Hotels fill up as well! The vendors seemed happy as usual. Life goes on. :) Tio
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Gee, Bob and Susan, I would doubt that even if you lowered your prices that you would be getting a lot of business from David E or Vagabundo. But I would bet that you have not spent lots of sleepless nights over that anyway. The people I have talked to that stayed with you guys were ecstatic and thought it was a great deal.

agree, I have never known anyone to complain after staying at Bob & Susan's, only praise.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

neilm81301
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 12:31 PM
Sorry, but what's a.....

"Boleo worker"

Is that like a 'bollilo'.. uh, like me? <G>

Neil
neilm81301
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 12:35 PM
OK, I found out

A kind of miner, right? The ones I knew (in the states) were hard working, hard drinking guys... give you the shirt off their back, but don't cross'em!

I imagine the Mexican miners would be similar.

Neil
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 03:06 PM

It was about the definition of a "real" tourist. I got the impression that Bob had intimated that only Italians were real tourists, and because I knew he ran a comparatively very expensive accommodation I made the connection that perhaps "real" tourists spent a lot of money. I asked if that was the point.

I'm sure Bob's place is very nice. I've seen many pictures. It doesn't matter that even if I could afford it, I wouldn't likely stay there because it just isn't my style. I spent at least 4000 nights in rented accommodation in one of my careers and I've sort of seen 'em all.

My question was about what qualifies one to be a "real tourist" if I wasn't one.

Someone mentioned fuel costs. Roughly 3616 miles. 287 Gallons. $960.00 USD US price avg. 4.27 Mex avg. Price 3.33
That is only 12.5 mpg with the Cummins pushing 11,000 lbs. with the auto trans. :(

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by neilm81301
A kind of miner, right? The ones I knew (in the states) were hard working, hard drinking guys... give you the shirt off their back, but don't cross'em!

I imagine the Mexican miners would be similar.

Neil

I grew up in Butte, MT before the went to the open pit mine and all those mostly Irish tunnel miners so I know what you mean by "don't cross them". The lots of "hard drinking" part led to a lot of violent fights and killings.

Bob Durrell
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 03:39 PM

Lots of places also for sale here in Punta Chivato. We're getting old. And although not cheap compared to elsewhere there are some bargains. Now that the title questions are ramped that may really put the skids on sales until they figure out the wording to add it to the Constitution.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 03:42 PM

We only visit Mulege in the summer (May-October); never in the winter. I love the warm water in the ocean, lack of crowds, deserted beaches and warm evenings filled with stars. There is nothing like standing in the warm calm Bay of Concepcion at night and staring at the sky; I couldn't do that at the beach in Southern California without freezing to death.

I just got back from a trip a few weeks ago and actually noticed how great the town looked; even the bar across from Scotty's is open again with a pool table. People seemed happy to me; I didn't sense a negative energy. We Americans show our emotions more than others and I have found that Mexicans tend to be more reserved which can be interpreted as "down". Any chance I get to go to Mulege I eagerly take!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 03:45 PM

A BOLEO worker are the people who work at the mines in the Santa Rosalia area.
Some are local, others are bussed in daily.

Quote:
Originally posted by neilm81301
"Boleo worker"

Is that like a 'bollilo'.. uh, like me? <G>

Neil

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 06:55 PM

Property is down everwhere in Baja, I was in El Sargente when prices where high, a lot with power was 260K, now you can buy a lot with a house for 160K, still not the bottom, rent for now and wait for the final price drop
SwissFrank
Banned

Mood: lovable

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I think I'm offended that I'm not a "real" tourist. I just spent 40 days in Mexico and spend $3000.00. No, you didn't see me, and I'm not Italian, but you have to realize that my three grand would last about 17 days at your place and the price of one night's accommodation will buy enough diesel to let me drive 400 miles looking for a better rate. Flying from Europe, and paying top dollar for a room is big bucks. Is that what makes a "real" tourist?

I trust your judgment about the mental state of your neighbors, and second the impression that Mulege "feels" different these days.

After reading this, I get the impression that Bob has a financial dog in the hunt for perception.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 11:11 AM

A lot of perception issues caused by language and cultural differences. If you run up and ask a gringolandia business owner "¿Que Tal? you can expect a much different answer than an answer given by the other 99% of residents who do not operate gringo oriented businesses and speak not a word of English. More than one resident quipped "One more huracán and this town will be finished off".

A Mexicano can break an arm and if you ask him ¿Oye, como estas Chucho? he will inevitably answer "muy bien gracias a dios y tu?".

My point: I try to be extra generous with tips when I visit.

The young lady who helps me with housework just called and asked for a loan to pay for la luz. The lack of commercial fishing (fish) has caused a crisis deep enough to have caused alarm with normally stoic local business owners. There just are not enough full time retirees here, and visitors are few. When fish disappear, so do paychecks.

Tourism is the key. Spending money so LOCALS can get their hands on it is the other side of the key.

When I was working I paid a couple of young men for a couple of minitruck loads of mesquite for the beach. You would have thought they had won the lottery.

Any other ideas on how to spend money so the less fortunate can have a chance to earn it?

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.