Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Mexico shoots herself in the foot yet again
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
another one of those stories that keep anybody in the USA from wanting to come down here on vacation.

http://www.today.com/news/family-we-fear-mom-jailed-mexico-w...

Really? I don't see it that way. US tourists who think this situation could happen to them don't go to MX anyway. This story confirms what they already believe.

The rest of us think she's guilty or maybe the driver was smuggling the pot.

By the way, 12 pounds would be about the size of a small car seat and about 3'' thick. If wrapped sufficiently, it would not smell.

Odd title for a thread, too. Much ado about nothing.

If I were riding a MX bus, in the future, and I never will, I'd check under the seat.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 04:58 PM

hey, mormons have a propensity to breed so the more mules the better....mitt has always had a good "business" sense about him.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 05:02 PM

WTF does that mean?

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
WTF does that mean?

I dont know, either, but if she's out by the weekend, I'm converting if this ever happens to me. The Mormon angle is being played up big time in the US press.

I think an employee of the bus line is the most likely. There was a Tufesa bus driver who was killed in front of his passengers only a couple years ago on this same route. The bus was forced to the side of the road and BANG!! Even the authorities over here figured he resisted being a mule or had a former shipment disappear or something unbecoming to some cartel.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 05:57 PM

Oh yeah, I guess the much touted revision of the judicial system and the scrapping of the Napoleonic Code is still a work in progress..........

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Oh yeah, I guess the much touted revision of the judicial system and the scrapping of the Napoleonic Code is still a work in progress..........

That's going to take longer than forever. They're going to have to shove "transparency" down their throats against their will. Just think of the profit opportunities they'll lose.
I once had a landlord in town who was the Procurador of the State Judicial police. He wasn't a judge, but he would hold court in his living room right below my place.
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 06:40 PM

On the news right now. I wonder if the border wait will be shorter...
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 08:33 AM

another example of how effed up mexico is with all the corruption. I for one have had it with them and their country. The cops failed to show at the 1st hearing yesterday - not one!! so much for the charges but she should NEVER have had to go thru all this. They were south for a funeral. She has 7 kids and no criminal record. No video evidence of her packing it on.

I hope their tourism dumps until they reform and clean up their act. Totally unacceptable - time for it to end.:fire::mad:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 09:30 AM

I do not look forward señor Mike, to this happening during the short lifetime I have left. The system is so thoroughly "skewed" one sector is afraid of going straight and getting screwed by another. Example: A referendum establishing a fair wage for law enforcement personnel. 99.9999999999999% of Mexicans would be convinced they will be taxed to pay much higher wages and the cops will continue to bite just as hard.

But then arguing against that, the PFP seeming cleaned up their act. Vamos a ver.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
The cops failed to show at the 1st hearing yesterday - not one!! so much for the charges but she should NEVER have had to go thru all this.

Thanks, Mike. I was going to ask how it went, but she's not out yet? Is she?
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I think she'll be home by the weekend. There's a lot of unhappy talk going around about this one.

She was allowed a jail house interview on US TV this morning.

www.foxnews.com/us/.../arizona-mother-fights-allegations-dru...

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/fn2/video/052...

An Arizona mother accused of trying to smuggle 12 pounds of marijuana into the U.S. from Mexico says she has “nothing to hide” and expects to be released soon.

Yanira Maldonado, 42, of Goodyear, Ariz. was arrested by the Mexican military after they found nearly 12 pounds of pot under her bus seat last week. In an exclusive jailhouse interview, the mother of seven told ABC15.com she had nothing to do with the marijuana packages — packed in plastic bags and wrapped in tan packing tape — found under her seat.

“I’m going to be free; I’m not guilty,” Maldonado said. “I have nothing to hide.”

Maldonado, a devout Mormon, credited her faith as her source of strength while behind bars for nearly a week in a Mexican jail in Nogales.

“I was nervous before, but now I feel a little better,” she told ABC15.com. “This is a trial that I have to go through. It’s going to make us stronger.”

Still, Maldonado said she’s eagerly anticipating her freedom.

“This is a nightmare,” she said. “I need to be out.”

Jose Francisco Benitez Paz, Maldonado’s attorney, told a judge during a court hearing on Wednesday that she should be released from prison, noting that it was a fairly sophisticated smuggling effort that included packets of drugs attached to the seat bottoms with metal hooks — a task that would have been impossible for someone like Maldonado.

"It was very well prepared," he said. "It wasn't something quick. It was very well done."

Maldonado and her husband, Gary, said they were returning from the funeral of her aunt last Wednesday when the passenger bus they were on was stopped at a Mexican military checkpoint about 90 miles from the U.S. border. Authorities ordered everyone off, searched the bus and then claimed to have found the marijuana under her seat.

"It’s looking promising, like our case is solid and theirs looks weak.”

- Gary Maldonado, husband of woman accused of pot smuggling

“We just had our witnesses testify, I did my declaration,” Gary Maldonado, her husband, told MyFoxPhoenix.com by phone. “Yanira did hers yesterday. It’s looking promising, like our case is solid and theirs looks weak.”

Gary Maldonado said an attorney told them they could pay off the judge, so he had family members wire him $5,000 for the bribe. But he says though the money was offered, it was not accepted. He also said the Mexican legal system is a far cry from the judicial process in the U.S.

“What they do is they gather up all the testimonies and then the judge will have her secretary-lawyer type all the stuff up and then she’ll give a recommendation of what she thinks to the judge,” he said. “The judge will decide the case from reading all the evidence, who weighs more in evidence.”

Benitez said that he was hired Friday and represented Maldonado in hearings on Monday and Tuesday. He presented testimony from her and from two relatives who accompanied the couple to the Los Mochis bus station, and two fellow passengers on the bus. All four testified that she had not been carrying any drugs.

He described her as depressed, but said she had not been abused of mistreated.

"She doesn't accept any of the accusations that are being made," he said. "She is sad because of the situation, in which she's being accused of a crime she didn't commit."

Brandon Klippel, Yanira Maldonado’s brother-in-law, told MyFoxPhoenix.com that four members of Maldonado’s family testified in court Tuesday, including a relative who dropped them off at the bus station. Klippel said witnesses testified that the Maldonados entered the bus “without anything with them” and that documentation exists confirming that the funeral took place.

“Our greatest fear right now is that our sister will be lost,’’ Klippel told Savannah Guthrie on NBC's "Today" show Wednesday. “One of the things the attorney said to us right in the beginning is that once you’re in the federal prison system (in Mexico), they move you around without keeping good records. In fact, she was lost for the first day in the prison system when this first started. "If she’s moved and transported around, we may never see our sister again, and that’s something that would just be devastating to our family.”

Anna Soto, one of Maldonado's daughters, said she’s innocent and should be allowed to return to Goodyear, a suburb of Phoenix.

“Just let her come home,” Soto said. “Let her come home. She is innocent.”

Soto said she hopes her mother will be home by Friday.

“[I] keep praying, that’s all I can really do,” she told MyFoxPhoenix.com.

The Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C., said in a statement Tuesday that Yanira Maldonado's "rights to a defense counsel and due process are being observed." The embassy didn't respond to allegations she was framed.

Patrick Ventrell, acting deputy spokesman for the U.S. State Department in Mexico, confirmed Maldonado's arrest but referred all questions to her attorney and Mexican authorities. But on Wednesday, a State Department spokesperson said U.S. diplomats have been in touch with both the Maldonados and Mexican authorities regarding the incident.

U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., "is personally monitoring the situation and he has had multiple conversations with the deputy Mexican ambassador," his office said in a statement.

Click for more from MyFoxPhoenix.com.

Click for more from ABC15.com.

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
I think she'll be home by the weekend. There's a lot of unhappy talk going around about this one.

maybe so, but the chain of events in the story is illustrative of the sometimes criminal cops and military in mexico, and the incompetent bureaucratic indifference of the legal system in mexico,... yikes!

While I agree that cops can be among the most corrupt people in Mexico (have to to survive on those wages), I have never had any problems with the Mexican military personnel in that area, always very professional.

This is really a strange case. I agree with those who wonder how a passenger would have the time to strap such a shipment under their seat unobserved. And only a stupid person would put it under their own seat. There's more to this story than we know, obviously.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 01:42 PM

I just got this from an AP article. I hadn't seen or heard this, not that it changes anything:

"Yanira is a naturalized U.S. citizen who was born in Mexico..."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 04:14 PM

She has been on TV and radio... This really makes Mexican authorities look dumb IMO... How did she get on the bus before anyone else to strap the bundle under her own seat? No video cameras at the bus depot?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
I just got this from an AP article. I hadn't seen or heard this, not that it changes anything:

"Yanira is a naturalized U.S. citizen who was born in Mexico..."

and when I heard her interview today she was speaking broken English...maybe because she was upset.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 04:56 PM

Seeing her and hearing her speak on TV, it is pretty obvious that English is not her primary language. But, that doesn't make any difference, does it?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Seeing her and hearing her speak on TV, it is pretty obvious that English is not her primary language. But, that doesn't make any difference, does it?

It may make a difference to her time spent in a Mexican jail. At least she can communicate.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 05:08 PM

And it may not have been as obvious she wasn't Mexican so maybe it does make a difference.

Hey you never know..they confiscated 2000 cans of supposed Jalepenos yesterday...the cans were full of pot.
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 06:17 AM
She's FREE...and YES by the weekend as you guessed-

There WAS a video camera at the depot and it showed her getting on the buss.....
http://gma.yahoo.com/arizona-mom-yanira-maldonado-freed-mexi...

Things are expensive, but at least we get a free trip around the sun once a year
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 06:56 AM

"Yanira Maldonado crossing the border into the US after her release from a Mexican jail"

"Yanira Maldonado thanks relatives, lawyer and journalists on her way out of Nogales jail."

https://www.facebook.com/WelcomeHomeYaniraMaldonado

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.