Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Mexicans happier than Americans
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
DavidE,
I agree.We have become a entitlement nation.

Glenn, for how many years have we been hearing this? Did you also walk to school 5 miles , barefoot?

Just saying
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 04:07 PM

Mexicans "Work To Live" not the other way round - mad dog wealth accumulation and rabidness in increasing it.

In Mexico,you know you're in trouble if people "like" you because of who you are instead of what you are.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Ralph,both ways uphill.
Last week while grocery shopping a well dressed man walked up to me and asked if I would like to save money on groceries.He asked if I was paying cash or on a credit card?I said I could do either.He wanted to know if I wanted to buy food stamps.
Back when I was growing up most families would not accept charity or even think of going on welfare unless absolutley necessary.It was something to be ashamed of even when justified.Now they don't think twice about it.
How many of the people on welfare own cars,cell phones,and dress better than me while grocery shopping with food stamps?Eat better than me too.

We are approx the same age, and I remember people selling their food stamps.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 04:50 PM

First Food Stamp Program (FSP) (May 16, 1939 – Spring 1943): ver the course of nearly four years, the first FSP reached approximately 20 million people at one time or another in nearly half of the counties in the U.S. at a total cost of $262 million.

Pilot Food Stamp Program (1961–1964): Mr. and Mrs. Alderson Muncy of Paynesville, West Virginia, were the first food stamp recipients on May 29, 1961. They purchased US$95 worth of food using food stamps for their 15-person household. In the first food stamp transaction, they bought a can of pork and beans at Henderson's Supermarket. By January 1964, the pilot programs had expanded from eight areas to 43 (40 counties, Detroit, Michigan, St. Louis, Missouri, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) in 22 States with 380,000 participants.

Program expansion: participation milestones in the 1960s and early 1970s:
In April 1965, participation topped half a million. (Actual participation was 561,261 people.) Participation topped 1 million in March 1966, 2 million in October 1967, 3 million in February 1969, 4 million in February 1970, 5 million one month later in March 1970, 6 million two months later in May 1970, 10 million in February 1971, and 15 million in October 1974. Rapid increases in participation during this period were primarily due to geographic expansion.

ETC

Source wikipedia
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 04:53 PM

Remember the big blocks of cheese they used to give to seniors?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_cheese

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by DENNIS]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 04:54 PM

I believe the the source of happiness in Baja, is not the government...but the family structure.

But I also think the Mexican people are working very hard to develop a middle class which has "more". I see it in Asuncion as well as other places.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I believe the the source of happiness in Baja, is not the government...but the family structure.

Also, a relative [to us] lack of debt.......credit card and mortgage especially.
It has to make a difference emotionally.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Also, a relative [to us] lack of debt.......credit card and mortgage especially.
It has to make a difference emotionally.

You've written about your theory that debt is the source of unhappiness a couple of times. I've had school loans, carried a mortgage, bought cars using loans, and use credit cards. Never made me unhappy, quite the opposite. Plus the happiest folks live in Scandinavia and I assume they have mortgages, car loans, and other types of debt.

[Edited on 5-31-2013 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
http://www.benefits.gov/
Ralph,see how many benefits you might qualify for.
They said how many I might qualify for.37!

43...but most did not apply.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 05:41 PM

I think you can judge anyone by presenting them with seeing someone unknowingly drop their wallet and how they react to it. A 50 peso note dropped out of my pants pocket and la señora in El Arco came running up behind me yelling "Señor, Señor!" At 12.49 to 1 this was worth 2 days of work to those folks. I gave her a giant Hershey bar and she divided it I don't know how many times for her extended family. Once inch squares. Later she bashfully "forced" me to accept a basket of lobster empanadas. Rosa had given la señora a couple of aluminum tin pots to replace the chipped and rusty porcelain pots she had been using. God God, she treated the gift like we had given her a car. You remember those flecked blue and white steel pots? I also brought cut patches of genuine chamois skin for the gasoline funnels. I had sold my car to go on the trip so I figured "What The Heck" cut up the chamois after Rosa told me folks would appreciate it.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH

You've written about your theory that debt is the source of unhappiness a couple of times.

In this case, I'm referring to just the opposite, that lack of debt is a source of happiness. Who could argue with that?
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 06:03 PM
They SAY

Money can't buy Happiness.

But, what do THEY (whoever they are) know ?

There SEEM to be an awfully lot of wealthy people enjoying the good life.

But, they're probably just faking.

And would be a lot happier munching Tortillas and Beans in a mud hut.

Who wouldn't be ?

Sure sounds good to me.

I'd miss HBO a little, though.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 06:54 PM

Too many people on food stamps huh?

Are School Lunches on your chit list too?

Ever heard of dairy, poultry, beef and agriculture subsidies?

Just guess who lobbied for food stamps and School Lunches expansion? Answer: anyone and everyone that provides supplies and equipment to farmers and ranchers.

Food production is integral to national security.

No worries
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
If debt is the source for unhappiness than our government must be awfully sad.

They're a sad example of a government. Yes.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 07:36 PM

Hey Glenn, How is the fishing?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
I am against having to wait 273 days on average to get their benefits.

That's actually a big improvement from ten or fifteen years ago.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected.Only 47 million and change on food stamps.
http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2013/03/29/food-m29.html

This graphic was from 2011:

Bob Durrell
Curt63
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 07:45 PM

Whistler, Im with you.

Goofy country we live in. Kinda goes back to Americans trying to amass wealth and manipulating politics to drum up business.

The Mexicans are more resigned to be content with their position in life. The greedy ones come north and work hard or use entitlements.

I sure like riding my quad on an empty Baja beach and sitting down to a plate of fish tacos and Pacificos.

[Edited on 5-31-2013 by Curt63]

No worries
Curt63
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 07:59 PM

Bob,

You left out a little info.

2007 -2011
Unemployment grew by 94% (Bush's parting gift)
Food Stamps grew by 70%

How do you read this?

No worries
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
No,I am not against lunch programs.I am against poorly run programs.My sister sees it everyday.Do you think elementary school kids like bell peppers?She says that the kids eat the slice apples and the rest is thrown away.
Do you think I am against vets getting their medical benefits?Which I happen to be one. Of course not! I am against having to wait 273 days on average to get their benefits.
Didn't you see the post on felons in prison getting benefits?That is what I am against.
I am against incompetent teachers sitting in rubber rooms still getting paid because they can't be fired!!!

How about an unfair tax code that was created by the rich, for the rich?

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.