Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Orcas Attacking a Fin Whale In Bahia de La Paz
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-28-2013 at 08:33 PM

Oh my goodness John...is this an orca attack? I think you need to get your facts straight before making accusations and is this really the place to attack me? but OK, I'll bite...back.

In the very early years of the whale watching industry we all made mistakes. I thought I had my bases covered by having good insurance even though it wasnt a regulation to have it. The incident you are referring to went like this....oh yeah and there never was anyone pregnant in this story.

Each time we seated passengers in the rigid hull zodiacs, we ask if there is anyone with back problems or are pregnant....nobody said diddly squat. Then we allow people to sit where they want and often suggest that older people sit at the back and tell people the front is the bounciest place.

So on the west coast there are big waves and the zodiac can be a rough ride at times...long story short...the zodiac came down hard over a wave and the woman in the front suffered a back injury that was very well handled by our guide.

I went to the hospital with the woman...she was hurt and I spent alot of time with her afterwards and we became friends and she said it was her own damn fault and knew it was no fault of the guide or our company.

Well, someone later council-ed her on suing us because insurance would cover it. Well, it just so happened that that particular guide had only been working with us a short time and unbeknownst to me he wasnt covered by our insurance. I just plain did not realize I had to list each guide separately...my bad.

So, it was a very expensive lesson...we settled out of court for 10 grand...end of story...and after that got people to sign waivers. That was in the early days of my company John and we never had another incident again and it was a very successful business....so to answer your "question" John...NO NO NO...that was not why I sold my business and headed for the border...not even close.

sheesh

[Edited on 7-29-2013 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2013 at 08:52 PM

Shari, your response has little resemblance to the story you originally told us --- but that is not surprising. And yes, according to the lawsuit, it was a bad back, not pregnancy as you told us.

Orca attack? No, just questioning the inconsistent versions of your stories. They are different every time.

John

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2013 at 08:54 PM

wow...a blast from the past...thanks John for reminding me of the details...my memory sucks for sure...I remember wanting to settle out of court but it went to trail after all and she won all right...ya win some ya lose some....but that was not why I sold the business.

and we did install a grab bar after that and people were constantly bumping their chins on it and it was as much of a risk of someone knocking themselves out and we padded the seats better...so we learned from this accident which is how businesses evolve and learn from their errors...zodiac whale watching is an adventure sport with inherent risks...as all whale watching is really. Things can go very wrong very quickly on the ocean in the company of wild whales.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2013 at 08:58 PM

John...seems like your memory may be as poor as mine is...sorry I'm not 100% consistent in something that happened 20 years ago in another lifetime....good night all....sorry for the highjack amigos....carry on.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-28-2013 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by shari

So, it was a very expensive lesson...we settled out of court for 10 grand...end of story...and after that got people to sign waivers. at was not why I sold my business and headed for the border...not even close.
That was in the early days of my company John and we never had another incident again and it was a very successful business....so to answer your "question" John...NO NO NO...th
sheesh

In Court Settlement

[Edited on 7-29-2013 by DianaT]

John (aka Diana T)------why in the world are you doing this??? Your bringing all this up out of Shari's past is beyond reason, to me, and of no consequence other than to injure----inexplicable!!!!

I personally hate these kinds of suits, and always have, irrespective of the Courts findings.

What a travesty!!!

Barry
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2013 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by shari

So, it was a very expensive lesson...we settled out of court for 10 grand...end of story...and after that got people to sign waivers. at was not why I sold my business and headed for the border...not even close.
That was in the early days of my company John and we never had another incident again and it was a very successful business....so to answer your "question" John...NO NO NO...th
sheesh

In Court Settlement

John (aka Diana T)------why in the world are you doing this??? Your bringing all this up out of Shari's past is beyond reason, to me, and of no consequence other than to injure----inexplicable!!!!

I personally hate these kinds of suits, and always have, irrespective of the Courts findings.

What a travesty!!!

Barry

I'm as amazed as Barry. Why here?
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-28-2013 at 10:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Life feeds on life---is it any less despicable than a pack of wolves taking down a bison or a lion taking out a water buffalo? or for that matter a pet dog eating a squirrel? I don't "like" it either but it seems to be the way the world is. The whales were fine, all things considered, until we decimated their numbers, far more damage than the orcas have ever done.

Yes, nature is not always a pretty thing to watch.

But as you point out in the example of the whales, there is one animal on this planet who dominates in the area of destroying other species for economic or simply sport reasons, even in the case of humans against humans. Some predators live on this forum.

[Edited on 7-28-2013 by DianaT]

Wow ! Got an axe to grind John . I've noticed over the years you guys troll Shari every chance you get. I've enjoyed many of your trip reports but your passive aggressive BS is not your best stuff. Why don't you settle your differences with her in person and stop dragging her name through the mud. Your right " nature is not always a pretty thing to watch " " even in the case of humans against humans " :no:

[Edited on 7-29-2013 by BajaRat]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-28-2013 at 11:19 PM

So...is John Diana T or Diana's other half....or what? :?:

And I heard a while back that Diana (or whoever hides behind that name) had some differences with Shari.....but this Tofino story doesn't really present Shari as having done something wrong...as much as the nurse's desire to sit up front contributed to her misadventure....(thin-skull injury for an adventure traveler).

Shari....next time I am in your barrio you better warn me about crossing the street, watching out for scorpions, and god help you if I get the stomach rumbles if I eat anything in BA....:saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-29-2013 at 06:12 AM

Don't look now but someone's a$$ is showing....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2013 at 06:30 AM

No one said Shari did anything wrong ---- it was just the story she told us as to why she left the business.

I love it when I hear that we have some differences with Shari, heard from whom? :lol:

Ni modo, she made a lot of money from us and should be happy. And no, that is not an axe to grind, we are not unhappy with our decision to pay her both when we bought our place and again when we sold our place. She earned it on the one end and it was necessary on the other.

On with the stories.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2013 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
No one said Shari did anything wrong ---- it was just the story she told us as to why she left the business.

I love it when I hear that we have some differences with Shari, heard from whom? :lol: .....

Your innuendo suggests that Shari is somehow unscrupulous, dishonest, and dishonourable.....all traits that have not appeared in any of my experiences with her. Whatever your beef is, it seems underhanded to hijack the whale thread by conjuring up your legal document thread to suggest Shari has been dishonset.

"Heard from whom?" ....It was a U2 message from a Nomad familiar with BA news, politics, and such....and NOT from Shari....that person;'s privacy will be respected....a concept you may not apply in your personal vendettas :light:

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 7-29-2013 at 01:30 PM

This forum sure as hell is not abrasive enough to grind one's axe on. Or at least it shouldn't be. I'm still trying with a gigantic lack of success to connect an orca attack on a finback whale in La Paz, with arbitration. The finback got an injury attorney or sumthin'?

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-29-2013 at 01:35 PM

Davide--yes the finback got a cetacean for speeding.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 7-29-2013 at 02:03 PM

Slipped the azul a fin did he to avoid going to the commandancia?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-29-2013 at 02:22 PM

Quote:

he should have flashed his badge to get out of cetacean:

[Edited on 7-29-2013 by mtgoat666]

[Edited on 7-29-2013 by BajaNomad]
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2013 at 03:15 PM

That would drive my granddaughters insane! Then they'd spend the next hour wrestling and crawling all over the inside of the car after all that sugar and colorantes buzzed them.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2013 at 03:33 PM

Quote:

Brilliant !!!! :lol::lol:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2013 at 05:01 PM

Obviously, John and DianaT who had been part time residents and owners in Asuncion had some form of falling out with Shari. Although I have no idea whether John uses Diana's ID to post on here, I actually doubt it. So, the very fact that Shari began the rebuttal addressing John......

At the end of the day, I really don't care. I have had cordial relations with both Sgari and Diana.
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-30-2013 at 09:52 AM

I really find this thread so disheartening. And I'm really disturbed by it. It went from whales to lawsuits and then to even more disturbing...the house commission. The house was on the market for quite a long time, as many houses in this economy are, both in Mexico and the U.S, eh. It may not have sold when it did if it hadn't been for Shari, I say that with all honesty. We as a perspective buyer came to buy vacant land and let a house evolve eventually with time..live in our RV, build a garage..and go from there..we looked at several houses in a few towns, but because we weren't in a hurry as we are on the 5-year retirement plan, we really wanted to just build something for cash along the way. But sometimes magic happens and you know what they say..life is what happens to you while you are busy making plans. Shari took us to see alot of properties, and also we spent much time and talked an awful lot with Shari about the costs of building vs buying this particular house, we were there a week talking real estate with her and Shari's input on that was essential to our decision making as she knows the ins and outs of building there in BA and the costs. Not to mention that we were able to get information on how we could change a few things with the house in order for it to work for us, IE expanding the shed/garage, which was one of our concerns. Shari got the house sold, that is the jest of it, and for that she deserved to be reimbursed for her time and effort, because that's the right thing to do. In Mexico things are different, sometimes one person sells the house and then another tends to the deal the rest of the way from there IE pushing the legal paperwork through, it's just the way it is there in some cases, but even just selling a house is a job too, being a former Realtor myself, I can vouch for that...and it too deserves to be compensated. In the end I will say this...it was a pleasant experience all the way around working with Shari..and because of her, the house was sold, Yayy! We are happy campers, and we are grateful to Shari! I highly recommend working with Shari!

BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-30-2013 at 09:57 AM

Gratitude goes a longgg ways, people!

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.