Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Coming to a beach near you
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 03:28 PM

Nevada has plenty of earthquake faults (just look at it's basin & range topography), including the Little Skull Fault and the Rock Valley Fault which run through and near the Nevada Test Site

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Japan has no natural resources for energy production so they chose nuclear. But it is dead center on the Pacific Rim of Fire. Earthquakes go back in Japanese recorded history for more than a thousand years. Nuclear in Kansas or Nevada makes sense, on top of a major fault? With all their sophisticated wisdom where is the massive solar voltaic effort in Japan? This is curious.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
The Japanese have a pretty good history of cleaning up their messes, no matter the cause------

Barry
It doesn't appear that they have a clue as to how to clean up this mess. After two years it just keeps getting worse, they have made less than zero progress.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
I worked at the San Onofre Nuke Plant, 5 mi. so. of
San Clemente for parts of 25 yrs., the major owners of the plant, Edison, recently deceided to shut down the plant
for good 3 months back, after replacing major components
that cost 750 mil $, that have not preformed as expected.
When I was there, or now, I would never believe the Company propaganda they put out

and us rate payers are stuck with the bill! the bill to build it and pay for the energy it created. now we are gonna get bent over for the cost of dismantling it, and paying for the energy to come from somewhere else!!!!

the corps have us by the short AND curlies.....

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
I worked at the San Onofre Nuke Plant, 5 mi. so. of
San Clemente for parts of 25 yrs., the major owners of the plant, Edison, recently deceided to shut down the plant
for good 3 months back, after replacing major components
that cost 750 mil $, that have not preformed as expected.
When I was there, or now, I would never believe the Company propaganda they put out

and us rate payers are stuck with the bill! the bill to build it and pay for the energy it created. now we are gonna get bent over for the cost of dismantling it, and paying for the energy to come from somewhere else!!!!

Woody-------I am thinking you would not even have electricity if it weren't for the "corps". :lol::lol::P:lol:

Barry
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 05:12 PM

Quote:

The rate payers are only shouldering a fraction of the ultimate cost, the rest is paid for by the taxpayer courtesy of corporate welfare. If you back out the government subsidies (designing, building, uranium mining remediation, waste management, indemnification of risk, etc.) nuke plants have never been, and will never be, cost effective.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 05:58 PM

MAYBE, but SDG&E is advertising a 30% rate increase in Sept of this year. convenient, eh?

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2013 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
MAYBE, but SDG&E is advertising a 30% rate increase in Sept of this year. convenient, eh?

Ouch!!!! 30% IS outragious. Surely the San Onofre shut-down did not alone spark this???? (did it???) That is a 'Revolution-sparking' percentage increase whatever the cause!!!

Barry
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2013 at 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
So there will be higher levels of radioactivity but what does that translate to in terms of toxicity?

That's a good question, the answer is complicated. The debate about whether or not there is a threshold dose of ionizing radiation continues. That is, is there a dose that can be considered safe, a threshold dose, or is any dose harmful.

Everybody gets a natural background dose from cosmic radiation and naturally radioactive elements in the soil. And, don't forget, atmospheric testing of nukes was banned because of the fallout adding to the natural background dose. At least they had enough sense to do that, but not until substantial fallout added to the accumulated dose.

Is the natural dose of ionizing radiation a contributor to the cancer rate? I would assume so.

Also, ingesting radioactive materials has quite a different effect than being externally exposed to them. It can be very dangerous especially if a radioactive particle gets lodged in your lungs. Also, some fission products, such as Cesium-137, chemically behave in a similar fashion as other elements, I think in this case like potassium, and therefore Cs-137 accumulates in your body, irradiating it 24/7. The same with I-131, also a fission product, in your thyroid gland.

Tiny amounts of ionizing radiation are easily detectable with the right equipment. I bet ***ushima will end up contaminating a large portion of the Pacific with measurable amounts. The result will be an increased probability you'll get cancer if you ingest the contamination.

It will be interesting to see if governments allow the sale of contaminated sea food by claiming the resulting dose is too small to do damage, using the threshold dose theory. There will certainly be pressure from the seafood industry to do that.

Eating seafood caught in contaminated areas will be hazardous, especially for children because growing cells are the most susceptible to damage. Plus they have more time to accumulate the stuff in their bodies.

Us old farts, chow down!

But stay away from tunas with three eyes.

[Edited on 8-25-2013 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-25-2013 at 07:30 AM

"But stay away from tunas with three eyes." :lol::lol:

Radiation, genetics, adaptive radiation = Evolution of a species

Make mine a "Strontium 90" .... a new beer from Japan, its the water

Appears "old age" for once, has its advantages

say, anyone remember the "spot energy" scam that was run on CA a few years back .... think Enron

Must say, it's not ALL bad .... appears some are accepting and understanding there are in fact "limits" on most systems

"This week on his back-to-school tour of New York and Pennsylvania colleges, Mr. Obama presented a new plan to make college more affordable. "If the federal government keeps on putting more and more money in the system," he noted at the State University of New York at Buffalo on Thursday, and "if the cost is going up by 250%" and "tax revenues aren't going up 250%," at "some point, the government will run out of money." :biggrin::biggrin:

Been a while, but, as I recall .... it is a "straight line" on genetic mutations and exposure to radiation .... and only time will tell if the mutations are beneficial to the species survival in its "environmental niche" on the planet and/or planets

Welcome to the "New Age" .... radioactive

Strange how SciFi is always a jump ahead on things

[Edited on 8-25-2013 by wessongroup]

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2013 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

Ouch!!!! 30% IS outragious. Surely the San Onofre shut-down did not alone spark this???? (did it???) That is a 'Revolution-sparking' percentage increase whatever the cause!!!

Barry
If not the consumers who benefited from the plant, who do you think should pay for the decommissioning?

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-25-2013 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

Barry
If not the consumers who benefited from the plant, who do you think should pay for the decommissioning?

Maybe the people who decided to spend $750 million replacing major components that have not preformed as expected........I wonder how much $$$ was spent on salaries and perks for the top tier administration who decided to spend the $$ then shut the plant down

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2013 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

A Crude and tasteless statement.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2013 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

A Crude and tasteless statement.

"crude and tasteless statement" be dam-ed------it's REALITY, and we need constant doses of REALITY less we continue on destructive paths, IMO. What happened in Detroit is inexcusable in my mind-----what happened in Hiroshima & Nagasaki was a planned-event to end a war, and the Japanese made the best of it, and prospered doing so ------THAT is the point.

On the SDG&E rate increases---------my comments that they were "outrageous" was again REALITY in peoples minds, not a comment on "who" should pay for it--------we ALL will end up paying for it, as has been stated, and in this case I think appropriate. We as a Nation embarked on Nuclear Energy because the powers making decisions believed it was beneficial to man---------that is NOT a crime, even if they are possibly wrong. Bad stuff happens. So far, nuclear works just fine in Navy ships, and has for many years. To me the jury is still out.

Barry
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2013 at 09:29 AM

Barry, if you want to talk about Detroit then take it to off-topic.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-25-2013 at 09:33 AM

Must say, I like "radiation" .... :lol::lol: sorry, couldn't resist :biggrin:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2013 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

I think it is relevant, RTS. If my comments make you uncomfortable then I have accomplished something, perhaps.

I did not bring the subject up----------but I do sometimes comment when somebody else makes statements that I think are off-base, or just plain wrong.

Barry
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2013 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Quote:

Barry

oh, i don't know, maybe the business plan that said if we build a plant then we can sell the power. that's like Chevy charging a fee foe the building of the plant, for the product the plant produces and then when nobody wants a Chevy they add on a fee to tear down the plant.

NOBODY would buy the Chevy's for sure at that point but since we need the electricity, the corps and the regulators just giggle while they increase our rates to pay for their bad business decision.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2013 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I think it is relevant, RTS. If my comments make you uncomfortable then I have accomplished something, perhaps.

I did not bring the subject up----------but I do sometimes comment when somebody else makes statements that I think are off-base, or just plain wrong.

Barry
:lol:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2013 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
On the SDG&E rate increases---------my comments that they were "outrageous" was again REALITY in peoples minds, not a comment on "who" should pay for it--------we ALL will end up paying for it, as has been stated, and in this case I think appropriate. We as a Nation embarked on Nuclear Energy because the powers making decisions believed it was beneficial to man---------that is NOT a crime, even if they are possibly wrong. Bad stuff happens. So far, nuclear works just fine in Navy ships, and has for many years. To me the jury is still out.

Barry
I thought you were a free market guy Barry? This is just more privatize the profit, socialize the risk type thinking. Many states and cities made the choice to not use nuclear power, why should those taxpayers be saddled with paying for SDG&E's mistakes? If you don't want to be saddled with rate increases, use less power, or put a grid tied solar system on your roof to offset your power bill.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2013 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Barry

Yes, the discussion of Detroit and the dropping of the A-bombs should be in off-topic as the failure of Detroit is very controversial as to what happened and what the current state government is doing to Detroit. And the dropping of the A-bombs is also controversial as it was not a necessary act to end the war, especially the dropping of the second one. So, they are off-topic subjects that have nothing to do with Baja.

Barry, the photo DK posted is NOT reality. It is a tasteless distortion of reality. Right-wing revisionist crap and if it belongs anywhere, it belongs in off-topic. The idea that DK did not see it as tasteless, well, enough said. And I am surprised that you don't see how crude and tasteless it is!

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.