Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: fisheries
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2013 at 02:39 PM

I lived at San Nicholas full time for 4 years with the Murillo Family, I lived in Loreto for 16 years full time, I owned and operated a Panga for 27 years, I and my Wife built Rancho Sonrisa on the Beach out North, It is now gone. Sad for me.
I fished many , many days, the largest fish caught was a 800 Lb Dusky Shark, his teeth hanging on my wall.

In the past 10 years there has been many
Spam" Stories about Fishing the Sea of Cortez, one the Worst story coming out of the Sacramento Calif. Paper, I think in 1998.
The change in our Culture has also had something to do with those Phoney Stories.
People Tell any kind of Lies to gain Donors and Members, trying to Scare them and make them think the Sky is Falling etc.

If you want to know the Truth you must go out and Investigate and report FACTS!!

I will not "Cheat, Lie, nor Steal from you. I will answer any Question to the Best of my Knowledge and Experience.
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2013 at 02:51 PM

HMMMM...When I hear Skeet, all I can think of is..
"PULL!":lol:
Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2013 at 03:13 PM

Hola Skeet,

Happy to provide some background. I have been a longtime visitor of the Bajanomad site but have not joined until recently. I try to stay away from petty and personal sqaubles that seem to develop on forums - don't need the bs. The following is not intended as a peeing contest, you asked for background.

I grew in Imperial Beach to parents who were avid sportfishers and baja rats. My extended family has lived for generations in San Diego, San Francisco, LA, Tijuana, Ensenada, Todos Santos and La Paz. The first time that I traveled the length of the peninsula with my family from San Diego to Cabo overland was during the winter of 69-70. My family have been friends with some big names in baja fishing including Tony Reyes, the Mora family of San Nicolas, and Lalo Marques of Ensenada ( I could go on but don't see the point, but you asked). I have spent plenty of time on the water and know the difference between throwing hooks and fishing. We have also owned plenty of very nice fishing boats over the years - with lots of time in the gulf.

I have 25 years of ocean lifeguard exerience and am certified as a Rescue Diver, Rescue Boat Operator, PWC Operator, the list goes on. All of these skills I have used to play in baja and the gulf. I have started 5 lifeguard programs in Baja.

I have surfed for 40 years - all over the world including everywhere in Baja.

Education: degrees in History, Political Science, & Juris Doctor (law).

I led a great team including Rodrigo Jara and Fernando Ochoa in stopping the the Mexican government's $1.7 billion Escalera Nautica project (27 resort-marinas). In 2005, I led the effort to permanently protect the last pristine gray whale birthing lagoon on the planet - Laguna San Ignacio. I structured the landmark conservation deal that has generated a significant income stream for the community. Last year with Rodrigo Jara, we put together the strategy to stop Sempra energy's proposed massive industrial scale wind farm in the Sierra Juarez. Also last year, I worked collaboratively with Ensenada's longline fleet in addressing a growing issue of incidental bycatch of federally protected Layson Albatross. The albatross recently established a new colony on Isla Guadalupe (where I have also fished and dived, non-charter). We were able to resolve the issue win-win by deploying tori lines (a tecnique developed by japanese fishers to prevent sea bird bycath). There is plenty more I can add but these are the highlights.

Right now I am working with Vince on the dorado issue. I can tell you that the gulf is in trouble. The spigot on delta is shutting off. Towns are growing into cities - poaching, crime, pollution etc etc. Fishers from other parts of mex are now moving to the gulf. ask the guys on the boats. Commercial fishers are currently very seriously shifting fishing effort and the Mex government - puez ni que decir.

Hope this provides some background.
Peace,
Aaron
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-14-2013 at 03:29 PM

The island is "Ildefonso" south of Mulege...yes there are fish. No there arent as many. I can also recount tales of 20years ago..71 Dorado in one day, Yellowfin tuna till my arms were sore..Like it or not, its no more..Thats reality..

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2013 at 03:34 PM

Thank you! Aaron:

You have spent many hours in your efforts.
For your information after 3 years in the Navy,2 years in the combat Zone, I got out and went to Fresno Stafe for a Degree in Criminal Investigation/Police Science. 3 years as Special Investigator Hollywood, 2 years in south Central LA, Decided I did not want to be a Police man ended up as Aviation Accident Investigator , Claims Investigator for the Western Nevada Brothells.

.Aaron I do not have respect for the Sierra Club nor the Global Warming Fiascos.
The investigators lied, changed Numbers and info.

You will need to get out on the Water and spend some time,

I agree that Baja is being ruined on the Beach with all the Ugly Americans and Canadians moving in and being AHoles.
that is the reason I left and came back to Texas.

Good luck on your "Investigation as to the Ruining of the Sea,
I do not agree with you but in this world you sure have the right to Speak.

Skeet
Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2013 at 03:45 PM

Hola Skeet,

Thanks for your thoughts and acknowledging that reasonable people can disagree. We have spent considerable time (decades on the gulf) - Vince is on the water daily and I get on it 2-3 times a month. We have very strong evidence of what is going on and things are definitely bad.

We hope to mke a difference.

Peace,
Aaron
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-14-2013 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aqsurfer
Hola Skeet,

Happy to provide some background. I have been a longtime visitor of the Bajanomad site but have not joined until recently. I try to stay away from petty and personal sqaubles that seem to develop on forums - don't need the bs. The following is not intended as a ******* contest, you asked for background.

I grew in Imperial Beach to parents who were avid sportfishers and baja rats. My extended family has lived for generations in San Diego, San Francisco, LA, Tijuana, Ensenada, Todos Santos and La Paz. The first time that I traveled the length of the peninsula with my family from San Diego to Cabo overland was during the winter of 69-70. My family have been friends with some big names in baja fishing including Tony Reyes, the Mora family of San Nicolas, and Lalo Marques of Ensenada ( I could go on but don't see the point, but you asked). I have spent plenty of time on the water and know the difference between throwing hooks and fishing. We have also owned plenty of very nice fishing boats over the years - with lots of time in the gulf.

I have 25 years of ocean lifeguard exerience and am certified as a Rescue Diver, Rescue Boat Operator, PWC Operator, the list goes on. All of these skills I have used to play in baja and the gulf. I have started 5 lifeguard programs in Baja.

I have surfed for 40 years - all over the world including everywhere in Baja.

Education: degrees in History, Political Science, & Juris Doctor (law).

I led a great team including Rodrigo Jara and Fernando Ochoa in stopping the the Mexican government's $1.7 billion Escalera Nautica project (27 resort-marinas). In 2005, I led the effort to permanently protect the last pristine gray whale birthing lagoon on the planet - Laguna San Ignacio. I structured the landmark conservation deal that has generated a significant income stream for the community. Last year with Rodrigo Jara, we put together the strategy to stop Sempra energy's proposed massive industrial scale wind farm in the Sierra Juarez. Also last year, I worked collaboratively with Ensenada's longline fleet in addressing a growing issue of incidental bycatch of federally protected Layson Albatross. The albatross recently established a new colony on Isla Guadalupe (where I have also fished and dived, non-charter). We were able to resolve the issue win-win by deploying tori lines (a tecnique developed by japanese fishers to prevent sea bird bycath). There is plenty more I can add but these are the highlights.

Right now I am working with Vince on the dorado issue. I can tell you that the gulf is in trouble. The spigot on delta is shutting off. Towns are growing into cities - poaching, crime, pollution etc etc. Fishers from other parts of mex are now moving to the gulf. ask the guys on the boats. Commercial fishers are currently very seriously shifting fishing effort and the Mex government - puez ni que decir.

Hope this provides some background.
Peace,
Aaron

Welcome to the jungle, sir!

From one waterman to another!

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 01:43 PM

Have to agree. I've seen a decline in the number and grade of fish caught on the East Cape over the past 20 yrs.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 03:20 PM

Aqsurfer"
For your information Pantex, the place where they Demolish Bombs just announced the building of the largest Wind Generator s in the US.It will be built on their property to the North of amarillo. The people here are very excited as they realize the Jobs and Money it will bring.

Aqsufer the Sea of Cortes is not going to be ruined unlss somehow they can close off the Opening from La Pas to the Mainland. There is talk now of bringing water from Canada down the Colorado and into the Sea. It would sure open up all that good land around Los Mochas and beyond.

Good Luck

Skeet
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 11:04 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies! Sorry for the late response: Been dealing with a flooding house and being trapped in the hills above Boulder, CO. Over 18" of rain in three days has been reported in areas of this storm. Crazy!

I really appreciate everyone's reply to my initial question and thoughts. Native Mexicans, full time alien residents, tourists, and commercial and recreational fishermen, NGO's and scientists are, I feel, all an integral part of the input diagnostics required to filter out and focus on the many important pieces of this issue in general terms. If the diagnostics are faulty, then so too are the conclusions. This points to the need for accurate reporting of catches and consistent and timely law enforcement among other things.

Same too for the science behind the conclusion of the reported trends. Since science is more structured and more often peer reviewed, I mostly tend toward believing scientific studies published in peer-reviewed literature over anecdotal reports.

It is a complex issue, but you, we, are all of that complexity!

That said, based on over a decade of field work (as a field biologist on the ground recording data on birds, mammals, plants and marine reptiles) with various species, I also see the point of view of the 'boots on the ground': the farmers, ranchers, recreational fishermen, the sailors, the tourists, the biological field technicians ...

*That* said, I also have seen, too often, a disbelief in the scientific method expressed in the news and various forums. As if it is some sort of voodoo used to secure a paycheck, in that it allows for lying and cheating to support some preconceived notion or agenda and continued employment. I have personally been involved with multiple academic, State and Federal projects with academic, State and Federal Principal Investigators who never once 'bent' the data to fit their own preconceived notions or agendas, or continued employment, for that matter.

I decided to make this post because I first and foremost love Baja and the Sea of Cortez with all my heart, more than any place on Earth. I love the people, the landscapes and all its critters, from land to sea. I came to love them because I first experienced Baja and the Sea with a preconceived notion, one built on my own imagination. Once I spent time there that notion was demolished because the Sea, the desert and the people showed me what Baja and the Sea really were - diverse, loving, harsh, truthful, challenging and welcoming.

My first experience with the Sea was in 1974, as a kid at Rocky Point. My last experiences were a few kayak trips, alone and with my brother in the Sea along the Baja Peninsula and Colorado River Delta, with some field work and other adventures there in between.

Along with what you all have already shared, I still feel there is more, more personal anecdotes of what was and what is. Even if those two things are the same and nothing has changed, as Skeet implies. I hope to have my own 'what was and what is' story soon enough.

I'd love to hear more from all of you old hands and new hands too, what your observations are. Agreeing to disagree along the way if needed ...

Greg

DSC_8364 the wall.jpg - 35kB

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 12:25 AM

Greg,

As you know the peninsula and it's surrounding waters is being destroyed due to poor stewardship by it's owners.

I want to relate a phone conversation I just had with my buddy in Juneau, Alaska. He was just cited $100 by Fish and Game for breaking the law while crab fishing. His crime? He used those small plastic lock downs to hold down the gates to the cages where the crabs are removed. He was told that he needed to use biodegradable material so that if the pot is lost all attachments will rot in short order.

That is why alaska remains the way it does and why baja is declining rapidly. Alaskans care.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 06:29 AM

Gringorio:
I support your efforts!

Yes the Sea has changed since I started fishing with Alvarro Murillo in 1968.
There are nay changes and causes but to say that the Sea is Ruined is not true, There are many old areas where the fish have declined and many new Aeas where fish have increased or comeback after be fished out.

I think it will necessary for someone to do a "Steinbecl/Ricckets Investigation of the Sea then take acions to change.

"Common Sense " is the best!!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 09:18 AM

Hi Greg,

I hope you weather the flooding without much damage...

Did enough of the Colorado rains fall on the western drainage of the mountain to charge the Colorado River so that it might fill Lake Mead and/or allow the dams to open their flood gates and 'flush' water all the way to the Gulf of California, again?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 09:41 AM

It's not just the gulf. Ancient aquifers are being sucked dry and there is absolutely no way to replenish them. Absolutely no sophistication in trying to reclaim gray water in the capes region. Again in a dozen years maybe less, the peninsula is going to have the aesthetics of The Salton Sea. Then the "Big Migration" begins where the gente move to the mainland. Talk about lack of planning - coconut palms could be planted in nice beaches. They require fresh water for only a short time, then they suck seawater while stuck in the most impoverished looking beach sand you can imagine. Huge plantations of coconut palms could shade beaches and make many camping areas a lot more attractive to a lot more people. You ought to hear the comments by RV'ers on the mainland...

"I do not like to camp in Baja California because there is NO SHADE. It's much prettier here."

And so it goes...

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 09:54 AM

Wish all of you Sea of Cortez fishermen luck. I've seen the light and moved on to fishing grounds that are protected , where the fishing is getting better each year. The pelagics come and go, but the "canary in the coal mine" are the resident reef fish; snapper, grouper, etc. Everything, given time, if not totally extinct can make a comeback.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 11:39 PM

Cypress nails it. The sustainable fishing future of the Sea of Cortez is up to the Mexicans and hopefully others that care. In a relative sense, no other body of water in the world could be more easily protected and fishing rules enforced...but I ain't holding my breath.
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 10:27 AM

David,

I'm afraid most of the water fell on the eastern slope of the Rockies... That much rain on the western slope would have been great but still probably would not have come close to filling up 'Lake Fowell' much less made it to the Sea =0(

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Hi Greg,

I hope you weather the flooding without much damage...

Did enough of the Colorado rains fall on the western drainage of the mountain to charge the Colorado River so that it might fill Lake Mead and/or allow the dams to open their flood gates and 'flush' water all the way to the Gulf of California, again?

gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 10:30 AM
new book

Along this subject there is a new book out. It's called 'Telling Our Way to the Sea' by Aaron Hirsh. Friends have given good feedback about it.

I'll start reading my copy soon ...

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I can also recount tales of 20years ago..71 Dorado in one day, Yellowfin tuna till my arms were sore..Like it or not, its no more..Thats reality..

Maybe that's why?

Bob Durrell
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 04:17 PM

On the Dorado day we were fishing around a dead whale, 2 of us...al lbut 3 of those fish went back....If you had ever caught a big Yellowfin tuna , it onle takes a couple to make your arms sore....cheap shot....

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.