Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: First time nailed at the Border
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 05:59 PM

So if you had bought all the materials at Home Depot in Mexico, you would have come out ahead.
Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 09:35 PM

I agree I am still ahead of the game. I went in the far left lane , I think it say autobusses or something like that. My trailer is a 24 foot enclosed car hauler that I pull with a Dodge Mega Cab. The last time I went through the lane to the right they told me to use the lanes on the left next time.
We looked in the Home Depot in Mexicali, very high prices,we talked to the Home Depot in El Centro they told us that the Mexicans buy from them and take it back to Mexico.
I bought the material at Lowes, they gave me a better price and 18 months 0 interest:biggrin::biggrin:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 05:35 AM

Yeah, most of us that live down here know that it is often much cheaper to buy at an HD/Lowes in the States than buy it at one down here.

It would be very interesting to check your receipt and see if you might have gotten a fine for not declaring. Although, if you had been told in the past to use lanes that are NOT declare lines (because of your size), then that would be part of my argument if they tried to fine me for not declaring.

So, did you get the red light or did they just wave you over? In my truck camper, even when I get the green light, they want to look in the back.

[Edited on 11-14-2013 by Hook]

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 07:05 AM

If you can afford to rent/buy land or a house in Baja..............then you should be able to afford to pay their import taxes. Yes.......the home building supply stores in Baja have exceeding prices.......but we all knew this before we secured a chunk of paradise.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
bajaorchid

lol.gif posted on 11-14-2013 at 11:09 AM
Welcome to my world!

Wow. This web site so hits home. This is a normality in life for me. You got lucky you were not sent to an Agencia Aduanal for all that wood! That normally has to be inspected and not just looked at. I feel I should work for Mexican Aduanas since I pretty much know what I can and cannot cross or get away with. Tee-hee!

Building material is a definite must pay. Especially in the quantities that you had. You still did good my friends. Everyone here is correct about saving by shopping in the US for you construction materials. You save and get better quality stuff in the states.

Oh yeah and the part where there can be a FEDERAL checkpoint is true. You need to have the aduanas paperwork in order cuz if that Federal officer doesn't feel you paid the right amount you could face a nastier situation there.

Let's just follow the rules gang and all will be well. Once you are done building your piece of heaven you will see that it was all worth it!

;D
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 11-15-2013 at 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redmesa
As I understand it if I import goods manufactured in the US into Canada there are no import duties but federal & provincial taxes do apply. That is under NAFTA. I thought this would also apply to the Mexican border as well as all 3 nations are signatories to that agreement.
that is suppose to be accurate... But the quirk in the system is you would have to hire a customs broker to clear it.

They have a bunch of them at Otay Mesa on the right. In theory if you have about 3-4 k can not remember the exact amount you must cross at Otay and use a broker.

this is true in the USA too, fly in from anywhere in the world and exceed the personal level with items and you have to pay duty, but these same items if I use my customs broker they generally are duty free. I have a US continuous bond for my business but a bond fee per shipment is about $150.00 and broker about the same.

[Edited on 11-15-2013 by laventana]

Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2013 at 09:50 PM

Hook, I was told last time I crossed to go to the left lanes because of the length of my car hauler and truck. I went to the left lane and there was a cone in the lane, so i pulled up to it and shut my truck off and got out and waited for an Inspector. When the Inspector came over I told him that I had building material in the trailer and opened the door that is when he said OOOO. Is that the proper way to declare?????
I did not go to a bank,unless that little building to the left is a bank. The little building is where they figured what I owed and I paid it. I was not trying to hide anything,kind of hard to hide a 24 foot trailer full of building materials:lol::lol:

Mcfez , I posted this not to complain about the fee,but just to let other people know what happened when I crossed and how much the fee was. I have no problem paying the fee,this was just the first time I had to pay a fee. I have taken the same trailer full of furniture and a TV , another time I took my horse trailer with big load of tile.Both times I showed the inspector and asked if I needed to pay and they said to go ahead ,and I did.

[Edited on 11-16-2013 by Steve&;Debby]
Nappo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2013 at 10:49 PM

Wondering if a small freezer to put our catch in for return to US would be a problem going across. Spending a week or two in Baja, vacuum sealing fish and keeping it in a freezer to bring back. Don't think the US guys would have a problem, but what about bringing it down. Have seen a few guys with great rigs and freezers ...
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 11-16-2013 at 05:08 PM

So nice crossing in a little car, overload springs, rear end up. The aduaneros took one look at the attitude of the suspension and yawned. Keep going.

With a load I ALWAYS stop and greet the aduanero with a gentle handshake. A knuckebuster will cost me a hundred bucks more. I always start off with. "Can you help me with this please?"

RnR is right on the money. Trying to blow through with undeclared merchandise can legally cause the following to happen...

You are stopped. The Aduanero says you have committed an infraccion.

They are legally entitled to keep your vehicles by law. Until you show them receipts for all of the merchandise. If you have no merchandise sales receipts, they can ESTIMATE the worth of the contraband.

Now it gets fun...

They are legally entitled to fine you 300% of their calculated value of the load. Have three thousand dollars of cargo? The fine can be NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Then after paying Banjercito in cash or credit card. They will release your vehicles

AND KEEP THE UNDECLARED MERCHANDISE

This happened to a cruising sailboat owner who brought back a ton of stuff for his boat and did not declare it. His fine was fifteen thousand dollars. His truck and toy hauler was worth three times that. All at the 21 km checkpoint at Agua Zarca Sonora.

If you get caught and get nailed for less, you've skated. Spanish speakers should inquire about this. The law is fascinating.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.