Author: Subject: Serinidad Hotel
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Why do people continue to make such a big deal out of stuff like this? Read the US papers, and check the crime rate in the nearest big city. Then get under the bed and never come out..

...... However, as a retired cop, I have never been "under the bed" in my life.

Barry

Barry,

I guess you weren't a detective then.

Ken

:lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Why do people continue to make such a big deal out of stuff like this? Read the US papers, and check the crime rate in the nearest big city. Then get under the bed and never come out..

...... However, as a retired cop, I have never been "under the bed" in my life.

Barry

Barry,

I guess you weren't a detective then.

Ken

:lol:

:lol: Right!!!!!--------no "sneak and peak" for me!!! All bed-activity was done on TOP of the bed, both before and after retirement.

Barry
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 12:53 PM

The Serinidad, like all businesses anywhere needs to be responsive to their target customer base and change or adapt to the times.

Most people on the road (or in the air) today want phones, internet, in room coffee and in room refrigerators....they want consistancy (In the states I only stay at Holiday Inn express and LaQuints), even in Baja.

Dingy rooms, poor maid service and closed restaurants/sub-par food don't cut it anymore as there always are other places to stay and eat.

The Serinidad was the go-to place for many years, however it did not keep up with the times......I know money is tight and motivation may be lacking, but without upgrades, the Serinidad's days are numbered....unfortunately.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 01:12 PM
Gone but not forgoten

RIP

Bob Durrell
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1
We planned our travels around being at SH for the sat. night pig roast

We arrived to find out it wouldn't happen , hasn't happened for some long time , and wouldn't happen anytime soon

ASKED WHY AND THE REPLY WAS (oops caps) there was no people to come there

So we booked a room anyway which was a huge mistake

Bare bones and filthy for 780 pesos/night

We went to Ray's for excellent langosta last night instead.

What a treat !!!

Currently in Lopez Mateos at a hotel for 300 pesos with internet right in our room

Taking the good with the bad and lovin it

Ouch..Too bad about your accommodations at the Serinadad, Timo1, sadly it is what it is....chalk it up to the poor economy..both in the US and Mexico. Surely hope your next visit (if there is to be one) will be more enjoyable.

It was not always like it is today. Like so many other early visitors to the Mulege area, I found the Serinadad Sat. Night Pig Roasts to be one of the major events to attend. My first pig roasts started in the early 70's and it was thee most attended dinner anywhere on the peninsula for many, many years.

It was a place to meet and enjoy 200 friends. That place created a thousand fond memories for thousdands of us.

I once wrote this about the place..and my thoughts are still the same.

Saturday night was time to revisit the Serindad Pig Roast...a tradition that has been going on at Don & Nancy Johnson's fly-in motel for many decades....the place is a real Baja legend.

Back in the 60's and 70's there was really only one place to go on a Saturday evening in southern Baja...the Serinadad Pig Roast. All the locals & tourists for miles around would congregate here for a great meal of date-fed pork and to visit with a couple hundred or so of their friends. Lots of dancing to the mariachi band filled out the night. The airstrip would jam up with small planes starting Friday and by Sunday they were flying back to the US or on down the peninsula.

This was THEE place where everyone got together for many years...thanks to the Johnsons. The list of successful business owners in Mulege who were once Serinadad employees is very long indeed. Mely's, Las Casitas, etc, etc...so many success stories.

Still going strong after all these years, Don Johnson, who is closer to 90 than 80, is usually there hosting as usual. We recently had a good nostalgic time talking about old times...in one of Baja's old-time & legendary places...the Serinadad. I cannot but admire his tenacity in the face of all the hard work and problems he has endured over the years. Don, my old friend, you deserve a rest.

These photos will tell a bit more...

The décor of the dining and bar areas is quite nice for feasting and listening to the mariachis. I wonder how many Sat. nights I sat at these tables or at the bar, meeting old and new friends? Another great feature of the place, thanks to Don, was getting my mail sent here. Also using the phone when they were super-scarce in this part of the world...back in the day.

Guillermo, the master for over 40 years.

Pic below shows us sitting at the fireplace in 1974...me on far right.

I must be in a rut.....Here I am 40 years later.

There were a few airlines & charters who flew regulary into the Serinadad back in the day. I had some crazy flights on Air Cortez.

Like all small plane strips the world over, this 'pista' had it's share of accidents. Oddly enough this one's landing gear hit the white pickup on the strip...a real Baja snafu.

Don & Nancy Johnson...great people with a ton of Baja history. When Don was an official and then honorary US Consul for 20 years he helped myself and many, many other expats with important matters. Finest kind.

Well Timo1 (and all others), here’s hoping your next visit will be much happier at the Serinadad. I wish the special old place well and hope it can be brought back to its initial health. There truly was not a place like it in Baja Sur.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtnpop
Ray's opened a couple of weeks ago... We have not been there but word from those that have are good... still good atmosphere and food.. I understand the wife and she has the same cook and staff....

Don't know for sure but think same menu and someone knows prices...I would think..
Not sure either on the Serenidad,,, thought that the kids were running it and Don is there sometimes... He looks pretty tired last time we saw him..

Really good to know. Had a number of great times there. I'll keep it in mind for my next trip.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.