Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Monte Xanic wines at San Diego CostCo
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Are you familiar with the one being sold at Costco?

Might need to specify which Costco this was at. I went to one yesterday, and they did not have the Monte Xanic wine. I did not inquire as to which locations carried it.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 12:36 PM

Gran Ricardo is their top shelf

Quote:
Note sure where this belongs, but FYI: you can get Monte Xanic wines at Costco if you want a taste of Guadalupe Valley without the border wait.

I've enjoyed Monte Xanic for years. I seem to recall that even 20 years ago, this was the price people were willing to pay for a bottle in Mexico City, so those of you in Ensenada or near a CostCo - enjoy!

(Still don't know why my image links won't work...is it a Facebook problem?)

[Edited on 12-13-2013 by BajaNomad]

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 01:46 PM

I went to Walmart today, in search of Mexican wines. They had some Domecqs which I avoided as not one of the recommended wines. I never liked theirs, anyway............

They also had two lines from Monte Xanic; the Calixa line in reds and whites and the straight Monte Xanic line.

The straight Monte Xanic Cabernet Sauvignon (believe it was a 2011) was 359 pesos; the most expensive wine that Walmart carried. :rolleyes: More expensive than the Cote-du-Rhones and the reserve wines from various vintners from Argentina. More expensive that even the Crianzas and Riservas from the Rioja region of Spain. I wasnt going to pay THAT amount for a Mexican Cab.

The straight Monte Xanic Chard was 299 pesos; basically, what you might pay for a Patz and Hall, a Beringer Private Reserve or a number of Sonoma County Chard producers. I wasnt going there, either, at that price.

So, I decided to buy the Calixa 2012 Chardonnay. It was still 210 pesos, so not cheap, especially for a white varietal that is apparently their cheapest line.

What are these wines going for in the U.S.?

My search for some Mexican reds from these wineries is probably going to have to wait until after the new year. I dont expect to be going up to Hermosillo until January.

[Edited on 12-15-2013 by Hook]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 02:43 PM

Calixa is their lowest line, Monte Xanic is one step above, then Limited Edition and finally, the top, Gran Ricardo.

Calixa Chardonnay
Chardonnay 100%.

Production and Aging: Fermentation in stainless steel tanks, no aging.

Appearance: Clear brilliant light straw.

Nose: Citrus, pineapple, nectarine and bananas.

Mouth: Wonderful acidity, refreshing, charming soft citrus and tropical flavors.

Culinary Pairings: Great as an aperitif, compliments cold appetizers like carpaccio and fish in light sauces.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I went to Walmart today, in search of Mexican wines. They had some Domecqs which I avoided as not one of the recommended wines. I never liked theirs, anyway............

They also had two lines from Monte Xanic; the Calixa line in reds and whites and the straight Monte Xanic line.

The straight Monte Xanic Cabernet Sauvignon (believe it was a 2011) was 359 pesos; the most expensive wine that Walmart carried. :rolleyes: More expensive than the Cote-du-Rhones and the reserve wines from various vintners from Argentina. More expensive that even the Crianzas and Riservas from the Rioja region of Spain. I wasnt going to pay THAT amount for a Mexican Cab.

The straight Monte Xanic Chard was 299 pesos; basically, what you might pay for a Patz and Hall, a Beringer Private Reserve or a number of Sonoma County Chard producers. I wasnt going there, either, at that price.

So, I decided to buy the Calixa 2012 Chardonnay. It was still 210 pesos, so not cheap, especially for a white varietal that is apparently their cheapest line.

What are these wines going for in the U.S.?

My search for some Mexican reds from these wineries is probably going to have to wait until after the new year. I dont expect to be going up to Hermosillo until January.

[Edited on 12-15-2013 by Hook]

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 04:26 PM

That's one chard you don't have to worry about being too oakie.

;)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Are you familiar with the one being sold at Costco?

Might need to specify which Costco this was at. I went to one yesterday, and they did not have the Monte Xanic wine. I did not inquire as to which locations carried it.

These were at Morena blvd. location.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 06:08 PM

A stainless Chard. Great! Though I like a touch of oak.

So, their lowest line of Chardonnay is 18 dollars at Walmart IN the country of origin...............I have great expectations.

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 08:07 AM

Hook: Your sarcasim is noted and agreed to, in my case anyway. We love going wine-tasting in Baja; lots of pretty good wine being made, the different wineries are fun to visit and the pride of what they are doing is evident everywhere. Lots of big $$ investing going on in the valley. The associated businesses of hotels, B&B, cafes and dining spots are springing up and quality of experience is important to them. These are all good things.
However, the business of selling their product, the wine itself, is completely baffling to me.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2013 at 07:39 AM

I dont understand how they make it, either, Santiago. Unless the walk-up business at the wineries is keeping them afloat.

Or, maybe the wines ARE that good? I'll be finding out.............

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2013 at 08:01 AM

I had to bug out before finishing my post.
Take L.A. Chetto for example; they make a wide range of product and can do a fairly large volume - where the heck is it going? Why isn't it on the same shelf and price points in my local grocery store as the wine from Chile, Argentina, South America, Australia etc?
I mean, the owners of the winery want to sell their wine, right? And the market still is at work here, at least in some sense. If they have a bunch of unsold wine, then they will start lowering the price until it sells rather than pour it out on the ground, right?
The fact that I don't see it in my store in NorCal must mean that this has already happened - they ARE selling the wine at these prices; the market has already done this.
Who is buying it is an entirely different question and I would love for someone who really knows the wine business in Mexico to speak up. Anyone??
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2013 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
Note sure where this belongs, but FYI: you can get Monte Xanic wines at Costco if you want a taste of Guadalupe Valley without the border wait.

I've enjoyed Monte Xanic for years. I seem to recall that even 20 years ago, this was the price people were willing to pay for a bottle in Mexico City, so those of you in Ensenada or near a CostCo - enjoy!

(Still don't know why my image links won't work...is it a Facebook problem?)

[Edited on 12-13-2013 by BajaNomad]

FYI
Here in AZ we have a PBS show called, "The Desert Speaks" and they did a show on Valle de Guadalupe, and it features Monte Xanic. Take a look online or on your cable guide to see if it is in your area.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2013 at 08:31 AM

Well, I dont know, Santiago. The wine may NOT be selling where you shop. Wont distributors/importers take the wine back if it doesnt sell at the retail level? They want to keep the retailers happy with wines that move.

That Costco picture blows me away.........50.00 at Costco for a red blend, apparently. Fifty bucks buys an incredible, single-vineyard wine in CA or OZ or WASH or ORE.

I need to stop speculating...........gotta get some of these wines.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2013 at 08:46 AM

Hook,

What was your opinion of the chard?

Ken
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 04:23 PM

I had it last night.

EXCELLENT!!! Really very, VERY good. Possibly the best stainless chard I have had in a long, long time. Maybe ever.

The mineral notes and the fruit were so well balanced and there was some complexity there, too. I never missed my touch of oak. Tasted best a little warmer than right out of the fridge, as many wines do.

It just might be worth 210 pesos.............but what is that selling for at the winery or in the States? This was the 2012.

[Edited on 12-19-2013 by Hook]

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 04:28 PM

Hook,

I will try and locate a source in San Diego.

Ken

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I had it last night.

EXCELLENT!!! Really very, VERY good. Possibly the best stainless chard I have had in a long, long time. Maybe ever.

The mineral notes and the fruit were so well balanced and there was some complexity there, too. I never missed my touch of oak.

It just might be worth 210 pesos.............but what is that selling for at the winery or in the States? This was the 2012.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 06:11 PM

Well now, isn't this interesting; Mikee likes it. I haven't stopped by this winery on my last few trips; will swing by next time.

[Edited on 12-20-2013 by Santiago]
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 06:29 PM

http://buy.winesfrombaja.com//products/brand/Monte-Xanic
Just bought a case from here; 6 of the chard and a mix of others; will report back at some point.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 09:01 PM

I should add that it borders on being a sweet Chard; at least, sweet as Chards go. You are left with a SLIGHTLY sweet aftertaste. Nothing close to a Chenin Blanc or conventional Riesling or even a Viognier, of course.

huesos
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 04:35 PM
Ruta de Vino

So, starting in La Mision, where can I drive ti taste some of these better red wines?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 05:03 PM

Take the free road at La Mision. at around 12-13 miles from Hiway 1, turn east towards El Provenir and Francisco Zarco. This puts you close to Monte Xanic and many of the others. about 30 - 45 minutes.
If you want an interesting and non-paved drive, get on the north side of the wash in La Mision and take the road thru San Jose de la Zorra. You will end up in the same spot as the other road, about 1.5 - 2 hours depending on how many times you stop for photos and general walking around. An auto can do this but an SUV or pickup is a little better.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.