BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Letter to the Editor says 'ex-pats' should set an example by stopping at stop signs
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 08:06 AM

The only reason I come to a complete stop at stop signs in Baja California is because I don't want the police to target the gringa and give me a ticket.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 08:06 AM

Weebray, Good post

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 08:13 AM

I saw the stop sign i just didn't see the cop .
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Originally posted by shari
well, the stop sign in front of the police department...I pretty much almost stop at that one...my tires may stop rolling for a second sometimes but mainly I come to a near stop, look both ways and continue on through...learning from the locals who set the example for me.

my son got a ticket (request for mordida) for rolling through that sign on his quad.

I'll bet he stops next time. Every so often, they will check for seat belts, too.:light:

Yezzz sir. He does. Was the night before the race a couple of years ago. He was headed to the Check-in/revision. Everyone was in a festive mood. SO after the threat of a 200 peso fine they settled on 100 pesos and headed over to the beer store.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by apple
Page 16 of last week's Baja Citizen
http://www.bajacitizen.com/Editions/November202013115.pdf

"Could you please let your readers know that a stop sign is a stop sign and it means STOP? It doesn’t matter what others do. Where I come from, we stop and most ex-pats know better. I have seen way to many car accidents because drivers don’t stop. We need to be the example and stop.
Thank-you for your time.
Susan H."

The parts in bold deserve to be in bold. We know better and we need to set the example are ----- well, they are far too common statements from some ex-pats and visitors. :no::no:
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 09:22 AM

Tell me why people in the US think that somehow we are the only people in the world who know how to do everything "right"? Then we try to impose our beliefs on the rest of the world, often with terrible results.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
Tell me why people in the US think that somehow we are the only people in the world who know how to do everything "right"? Then we try to impose our beliefs on the rest of the world, often with terrible results.

From our experiences traveling, it is not just the some ex-pats from the US, it is also some ex-pats from Canada and some visitors from both.

Just my speculation, with no academic proof of anything, but perhaps it comes from our Northern European Colonial heritage that included the concept of White Man's Burden.

[Edited on 12-15-2013 by DianaT]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 09:30 AM

People who stop at stop signs when there are no cars coming cause accidents in la paz. The article should have read the complete opposite, please do not stutter stop or come to a complete abrupt stop when you can see 100ft that no cars are coming.

And when there is traffic GO when it's your turn, a perfect 4 stop intersection works like gears of a clock with traffic moving constantly. In fact I see cops only pulling people over who fail to comply with the usual method because it's SUSPICIOUS!

FWIW in the USA the law used to read the same, treat the stop sign as a yield sign when you can see that it's clear and no cars are coming a 100ft in either direction, though, the police reinterpret it as income generation opportunity.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid

FWIW in the USA the law used to read the same, treat the stop sign as a yield sign when you can see that it's clear and no cars are coming a 100ft in either direction, though, the police reinterpret it as income generation opportunity.

I did not know there were federal US traffic laws.

[Edited on 12-15-2013 by rts551]
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 09:53 AM

Hey, why not have red stop signs where it is important to make a full stop, and green signs where it really isn't necessary. :light: Additionally, it would be a nice Christmas decor touch at this time of year:yes: and they could stay up year round to save on annual decorating expenses.:biggrin:

Actuall, I agree with weebray, the Baja system wors well, and we should loosen up on this in the US.

[Edited on 12-15-2013 by Paula]
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Hey, why not have red stop signs where it is important to make a full stop, and green signs where it really isn't necessary. :light: Additionally, it would be a nice Christmas decor touch at this time of year:yes: and they could stay up year round to save on annual decorating expenses.:biggrin:

Actuall, I agree with weebray, the Baja system wors well, and we should loosen up on this in the US.

[Edited on 12-15-2013 by Paula]
that actually is a great idea....

if you watch the ted video they discuss the issue of what the sign should look like, but yours is very human factors oriented.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 10:03 AM

Now I know what to say to those tecate cops.;D
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
The parts in bold deserve to be in bold. We know better and we need to set the example are ----- well, they are far too common statements from some ex-pats and visitors. :no::no:

They are in bold and I posted it because the idea that we white folks "know better" is borderline racist.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 10:28 AM

mexicans also drive as fast as their cars will go and love to pass on blind curves. no thanks, i'll keep going the speed limit and stop at stop signs! I dont need any more problems :rolleyes:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 10:39 AM
That Letter Doesn't Go Far Enough

If that tone-deaf, ignoramus Ammmurrrcan living in foreign country without any understanding of the culture wants to be the stern teacher and set a good moral example for the stupid, non-law-abiding locals, then he should mount a campaign to "Hang All the Scofflaws!"

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by apple
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

They are in bold and I posted it because the idea that we white folks "know better" is borderline racist.

Absolutely.:yes::yes:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 10:48 AM

I use discretion at a stop sign. I think about where I am, what the local customs suggest, and most of all...what's that sticking out of the car's window behind me?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 10:53 AM

Catch 22:
So, to comply with local custom, do we start leaving all our trash on the beach (or in the desert after watching a race), including dirty diapers and beer bottles? Do we spray paint the boulders with our names and date of our trip as a family historic event?

I think we need to do what is right in our hearts and minds... and while I did stop at each sign in La Paz, I made it as brief as possible so as not to cause a riot or rear ending!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

cabokid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
Here is my rejoinder to Susan H. as printed in the Dec. 9th edition of the Baja Citizen. Note that I had to bite my tongue and temper my usual sarcastic demeanor to get this printed.
Susan H.
I am afraid you have failed to consider the traffic patterns in La Paz through the eyes of the people that live here. We have been driving in La Paz since the early 90's and have observed the "system" of treating a stop sign more like a yield sign actually works quite well. It does take a bit of rethinking but once you get the hang of it you will be amazed at how well it works. It's a no brainer to slow down and look to see if anyone is going to arrive at the crosswalk before you. If not, just proceed without stopping. I know it's not the way we do it up north but look around, we're not "up north". Increased accidents??? The statistics say no, for the most part people respect the "system". You will encounter the aggressive driver that pushes on though he may not really have arrived first, no problem, just defer and smile. There is a side benefit here too. Many thousands of gallons of gasoline are saved and large amounts of pollution are avoided by this system. This is not a joke and a relaxation of the strict "full stop behind the sign" rule could and should be adopted up north saving millions of gallons of fuel and pollution. But at $300 per infraction in LA (I looked it up) it ain't gonna happen. Some other things you should know about La Paz: 1) Always come to a full stop on Revolucion at the corner of Degollado. This particular corner is a known $$$$ trap for unsuspecting miscreants. (look for the cop hiding behind the Telcel trailer) 2) Be on high alert at night and on Sundays when the drunks are out. They can be very aggressive and/or distracted. Read dangerous. 3) Be very careful that the cross traffic has a stop sign. This is one place I have seen a number of accidents. (some study required) I recommend you integrate with caution but adapt rather than criticize. You really are mucking up the system as well as aggravating people when you come to a full stop. The Mexican people are very practical. Their lives are based on something we could use a whole bunch more of in the US and Canada - common sense! Saludos, Bobby Ray
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 10:57 AM

here is an example in India that I found on the Ted site. it appears to be a 5 way intersection and no stop sign at all. there is no friggin way I am going though this one without a tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_nDuN7tqfE

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.