BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Oil wells in Sea of Cortez?
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I grew up on the beach in Del Mar (San Diego). A bottle of kerosene and a rag was used to remove tar from our feet. Some oil comes naturally from the seafloor too.

How did we not go to school together? I don´t remember you at Earl Warren or San Dieguito? What up wit dat?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 05:12 PM

In San Diego and Coronado back in the 50's and on, we had beach tar from the Navy ships, it was said------never did know if that was true. We sure had a good time, anyway, but yes we had to use kerosene to clean our feet quite often.

We also had soot on our cars in Coronado if we left them out-----the soot was from the Navy airplanes overhead, we understood. I minor inconvenience when compared to what the Navy provided for Coronado--------never heard anybody complain, but then Coronado is a Republican town to this day. :light: :lol:

Barry
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
.... but then Coronado is a Republican town to this day. :light: :lol:

Barry

But fortunately, they have been represented in Congress by Democrats --- before Susan Davis, and now Scott Peters --- that is a good thing. :biggrin:

A few years back, one of the leaders of the Ejido in Bahia Asuncion told us there was interest in leasing a large piece of the Ejido land for an oil refinery --- out near the San Roque area! I hope that is a dead horse.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

Barry

But fortunately, they have been represented in Congress by Democrats --- before Susan Davis, and now Scott Peters --- that is a good thing. :biggrin:

A few years back, one of the leaders of the Ejido in Bahia Asuncion told us there was interest in leasing a large piece of the Ejido land for an oil refinery --- out near the San Roque area! I hope that is a dead horse.

no no. Diana.... We can provide Kerosene and MEK to each family to clean - up after a day of fishing...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chippy
Quote:
I grew up on the beach in Del Mar (San Diego). A bottle of kerosene and a rag was used to remove tar from our feet. Some oil comes naturally from the seafloor too.

How did we not go to school together? I don´t remember you at Earl Warren or San Dieguito? What up wit dat?

We sold the beach house (3010 Sandy Lane, If I recall correctly) about 1964-1965 (after the tidal wave evacuation signs were posted in front of our home following the Alaskan earthquake)... By the time I was in Jr. High, we lived outside of Escondido and I went to Valley Center School for 7th and 8th grade... Orange Glen for high school (Class of 1976).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Barry

WHAT????? Tell me that is not so! I have many friends in Coronado, and now my sister lives there too, and they all say "Coronado is still a Republican town". You can't trust ANYBODY anymore!!! It's SO confusing!!!

Barry
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Barry

WHAT????? Tell me that is not so! I have many friends in Coronado, and now my sister lives there too, and they all say "Coronado is still a Republican town". You can't trust ANYBODY anymore!!! It's SO confusing!!!

Barry

It is true my friend, http://scottpeters.house.gov/about/our-district

Before Coronado was included in the Susan Davis District.

Scott did not win by a lot, but he was running against Brian Bilbray --- so that helped. :biggrin:
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 07:03 PM

And of course the oil drilling technology has not changed since the 50's in some folks mind.

The reality is that the 27th amendment in Mexico is being changed to allow foreign investment for oil exploration and allow Pemex to become a public oil company.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
And of course the oil drilling technology has not changed since the 50's in some folks mind.

The reality is that the 27th amendment in Mexico is being changed to allow foreign investment for oil exploration and allow Pemex to become a public oil company.

Really....did we not have a major disaster just a few years back?! I guess if you pretend it didn't happen, then it didn't.

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

Really....did we not have a major disaster just a few years back?! I guess if you pretend it didn't happen, then it didn't.

Don't you watch commercials? Come back to the gulf ;D

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 08:29 PM
Getting Tarred by the Navy ?

Probably not.

That Beach Tar is pretty thick. Like Crude and unlike processed products.

Although, when I worked at Bethlehem Steel, we used some SAE 400 Gear Lube on the open gear-trains of the overhead Cranes.

Doubtful that the Navy ships did, though.

Speaking of the Navy at Coronado, when we moored our sailboat at the Port District "Embarcadero" (Laurel Street) mooring, we would often just before dark, notice a sheen of oil streaming "seemingly" from the Navy docks. Given the consistent T.O.D. of such "streams", there was the suspicion that they were not accidental discharges.
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 10:04 PM

this is interesting, but the truth is that as technology and progress moves ahead, so do civilizations ( people ) folks who won't consider this progressiveness ( nowadays ) are the same folks who want people to live in the stone age, makes little sense to me. Oil is the lifeblood of prosperity right now, obviously they are not proposing 1960's technology but jeeez, look at how far we have come. Not thinking the SOC is in any danger, but, given the economic benefit to all of mexico, this is a no brainer for the vast majority of the growing middle class I.E. jobs, energy, growth that could benefit the northern hemisphere, have mexico, us and canada become what NAFA's concept was all about. I know I will be villified for this post, but, the truth and reality are always easy targets
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 11:08 PM

you will probably be vilified for misspelling vilified but other than that, you're golden!:lol:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 12:34 AM

Quote:

I have a feeling that the Sea of Cortez ocean floor is too new for petroleum???

Agreed. The deep ocean rift caused by the separation of two earth plates that created the Sea of Cortez makes it unlikely to have any oil in my opinion as well. Perhaps the area around the mouth of the colorado, near san felipe, but probably not.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 01:34 PM

Explanation PETROLEUM EXPLORATION

A place where billions of pesos can be invested without accountability because there is no tangible product.

$300,000 expenses
$700,000 wages
$1,900,000,000 miscellaneous

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.