Author: Subject: Residente card and automobiles
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
Quote:
Originally posted by pacsur
I have imported all my vehicles over the years, it makes life easier with Mexican plates for me.
Last year I imported a 2001 Toyota 4wd crew cab, it was under $1200 usd and completed in 1 day in Tijuana, for another $500p ...My liability insurance is about $2100p and covers the USA also.

so who did you use last year that takes ONLY one day
and who is your insurance with that covers mexico AND the USA

Importer-Tijuana-(664) 623-8044 Sr Osuna

Tijuana insurance
ABA Seguros
Blvd. Agua Caliente 1854 Col. Aviación
Tijuana, B. C, 22410
Baja California / México
Tel. (664) 6863387 (664) 6863926
www.abaseguros.com

I'm now using insurance in Los Cabos with ABA
Off. Ph. (624) 143-1212, Ext.0
Fax: (624) 130-4083
US Toll free:1 (866) 376 22 89
front.desk@caboinsurance.com
www.caboinsurance.com

The last couple of cars I have bought in CA I never registered in the US, just take the pink and give them your id info how you want it titled.

[Edited on 2-12-2014 by pacsur]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 07:17 AM

What many are describing are the all-to-familiar instances of a Mexican bureaucracy (take your pick, INM or Aduana) that doesnt train their employees very well on the latest, letter of the law. And so, we are left with many INTERPRETATIONS of the law; from office to office, employee to employee.

Maybe we should lighten up on fellow Nomads who are just trying to make some sense of the regular non-sense that IS Mexican bureaucracy. And alert the rest of us.

And I really DOUBT that asking questions of these employees is going to kick in some blanket "get-the-gringo" movement. It's already here; look at all that the new administration has implemented in the short time it's been in office. It's directed from on-high; not some grass-roots movement by employees.

Questioning them is good, especially if you have knowledge that regs are being enforced DIFFERENTLY in other parts of the country. Individual offices make mistakes in interpretation of the regs, especially when the regs are new. Our Guaymas office was off base on qualifications when the new residente cards came out. People pointed it out, based on information they were getting from other areas of Mexico. It changed. But it might have taken longer if people hadnt questioned the regs.

Often it was done through information on the internet.

Often this was done through these paid representatives. And why not? They deal with these bureaucracies for a living. And they speak Spanish better than most of us.

Mexico is changing. It's not the lack-of-regulation country it used to be. Might as well be a voice in the change. It might make a difference.

Look at the whole boating TIP fiasco. The Mexican government has come out and admitted they made mistakes in how they handled it. Their agents in that new bureaucracy under Hacienda were unfamiliar with the TIP program, as it related to boats. Many didnt realize there was a difference between hull numbers and VINs. Or that there was, originally, no separate TIP for boats and RVs. But people complained, questioned, used the internet and they backed down.

According to one of the marina owners over here, the Mexican Government is convening a meeting of marina owners in Mexico City to ask for input on a better way of enforcing TIPS with boaters. Questioning authority might have worked this time.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 08:26 AM

In our isolated area of Central Pacific BCS, and even on trips to La Paz, we'll occasionally see another car with South Dakota plates but it's a novelty. Holy Cow!- we drove through Cabo recently and it seems like every 5th car you see has SD plates.

As oxxo mentioned, it's really in your face when your driving around down there. Pretty sure that draws attention to the issue more than asking questions and internet discussions by ex-pats.
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

It seems a conflict of interest to hire an immigration officer to process your Mexican visa.
He is already being paid by the government to do so. Why do you pay him, too?

It is not a conflict of interest for me to do so and it makes my life easier. I will let you be the morality police in Mexico. He gives me the latest "heads up" with regard to internal memos to INM from Mexico City. He told me that South Dakota plates and driving a US plated car with a Residente card are now on the radar at INM in Mexico City. He warned me to be careful. I wanted to share that bit of information with Nomads but I see that was a mistake. So if you don't like the information, please disregard.

Quote:
If he advises you to import your car will you hire him to process that transaction, too?

He already advised me to import my car to be in compliance with the law and my residente card. I may hire him if he offers that service and I decide to import. Why shouldn't I? Otherwise I will ask him for a recommendation for someone who can do it for me. Or maybe I will just do it myself. Should I run my decision through you first for permission? :?:
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tacodawgtim
It seems that this is a bigger problem on mainland Mexico.. Becoming a problem in Baja Sur, and not much of a problem at all in Baja Norte. I think it relates more to the fact that in Baja Norte a visa is not required..because of the tourism near the border.
I just got my permanent residence card last year. I was told that it was ok to drive my us plated vehicle but if I went on to become imagrado, then it required a Mexican drivers license and Mexican plated vehicle.
I would think that the recent changes in the visa program is leading to this confusion..
Who really know for sure. Even getting the permanent residence card requirements vary depending on where you are living...

There is no more inmigrado. Residente temporal or residente permanente. If you have Residente permanente, you can apply for naturalization, which would make you a citizen of Mexico.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 09:08 AM

I thought that, too, Jim, but there are people who are still inmigrado from the previous set of rules. I dont believe they have had to get a permanente card. They are just..........inmigrado.

What have those people done, under the new rules, over in your neck of the woods? The ones I know are just laying low, not wanting to spend the bucks for permanente status.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 09:35 AM

Now we're getting someplace, friends.
I've added this thread to Favorites.

Some really good information is coming from the various members, thank you all.

Oxxo I was not intending to challenge you personally, and don't feel that I addressed you with any disrespect, certainly none was intended. I do appreciate you starting this thread and your input in it.

Oxxo, another question please.
Would you be willing to share the name and contact information with the agent who is assisting you and his areas of expertise? Perhaps others in your locale would be interested in hiring him, too.

Again, thanks everyone for your input.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 10:17 AM

My new SD plates should be coming back with Celso. And I have no plans to visit Cabo San Locos. For the moment, the PFP does not seem interested in any paperwork except if the registration of the vehicle you are driving has the name of anyone in the car on it, and if your valid driver license is valid.

As stanburn pointed out so well above, when car regulations are adopted for the peninsula it will mean retenes de PFP. EVERYONE STOPS. Mexican drivers will be cited for license and registration infracciones. Residentes permanentes had better have their car with placas nacionales or the car gets towed to the corralon AND YOU WALK away. Visitors with 180 day FMM's will get their car and papers AUDITED. The 180-day temporary import permit is meticulously examined line-by-line, the VIN number of the car had better match EXACTLY the VIN number as posted on the 180-day car permit. Your driver license expiration date will determine whether or not you get 180-days. Fail to turn in your TIP for the car and you instantly lose 200-400 dollar deposit the day after the permit expires. You can not under any circumstance get another car permit until the violating vehicle is returned to the ADUANA/Banjercito inspection station, the hologram is scraped off by an Aduanero, and a huge fine is paid. I got an email from a Person living in Silver City New Mexico who complained Banjercito fined him more than 6,000 pesos, and after ALL THAT was cleared, Aduana stopped him at the border and refused to let him go through until 3-1/2 hours of phone calls to Aduana in Mexico City were made and "special permission" was given. He tried again, this year, was refused again, and got peeed off and returned home. Mexico has a huge problem with computers. Their programmers and the people who use them are untrained novices. This scream STOP! VIOLATOR! at the drop of a hat and have a hell of time correcting the information -- it is a freakin' zoo. On top of all that on the mainland HUNDREDS of nacionalized cars have been seized so far for having counterfeited federal paperwork. States issue license plates to car owners with counterfeit paperwork (importation papers), highway checkpoints by the PFP are linked by WiFi to Mexico's national import database, and if the car is not on it, ADIOS MF. If nacionalacion takes place DO NOT use a broker that is not on the official ADUANA list. Cars with USA or Canadian plates have to be processed at ADUANA through an agencia aduanal at the border.

Keep an eye out for any new construction, or improvements to existing highway structures south of Ensenada. When work begins or re-initiates it's time to start thinking about the possibility of temporary car permits coming soon. They need good microwave (WiFi) connectivity at such a structure.

I hate this krappola!

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 11:46 AM

DavidE, IT appears much of your statement does not represent fact. At this point in time PR may drive US plated vehicle in BC and BCS. Until such time when the rules change that is the fact. I drive in BCS all over, I have recently been stopped and passed inspections by Federal Police on Federal property who asked for my drivers license, visa (PR) and checked the reg and it was fine. Also my friends are recently trained Aduana, one just returned from training today and they are also certain that RP in BC and BCS may drive valid US plated vehicles with US license.

More than likely these sort of arcane rules currently enforced on the mainland are set to go away since they are impractical for people who wish to invest and transit from USA to MX.

[Edited on 2-12-2014 by gnukid]
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 11:55 AM

You need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills. What I wrote applies to the mainland. RULES there are tightening not becoming looser. Your last sentence, frankly amazes me. Those basic TIP RULES have been in force for TWENTY FOUR YEARS. Are set to go away? Jeez I wish they would not keep making them stricter. You are living in a dream bubble amigo. Lo Siento.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 12:30 PM

David, please stop with the hyperbole and nonsense. There is no threat or risk today for PR driving US plated cars in BC and BCS. You post the same innuendo and nonsense every week.

Imagine if you follow your logic, it would be impossible for anyone with PR to drive a car from USA to BAJA since they couldn't legally. The goals of the administration is to make it possible for more people to legally cross, invest, travel and interact across the border.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 12:45 PM

you never have a problem if you have a big bag of money with you...

of course davidE doesn't have the "bag"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukidit would be impossible for anyone with PR to drive a car from USA to BAJA since they couldn't legally.

Yes, that is the current situation, but apparently is not currently being enforced in Baja. If you are permanent resident you are supposed to drive your Mexican plated car to the US and drive it back. INM says that if you have a RP card, you are stating that you are a permanent resident of Mexico. You may return to the US for a short vacation or business, but while in Mexico, which your RP cards states is most of the time, you must drive a Mexican plated car. That rule is apparently being enforced more vigorously on the mainland than in Baja at this time, but the information I am getting from my INM amigo, the situation MAY change soon in Baja.

I have a backup plan (suggested by my "conflict of interest" INM amigo, off the record) that I intend to implement that will make me, INM, aduana, policia, and Federales all happy.

Quote:
The goals of the administration is to make it possible for more people to legally cross, invest, travel and interact across the border.

Where did you hear that? Apparently the goals of the US administration is to make it MORE difficult for Mexican people to legally cross, invest, work, travel, and interact across the border. Payback is a biotch.

[Edited on 2-12-2014 by oxxo]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 01:05 PM

This is silly, TODAY RP may drive US plated vehicles in BAJA.

There has been no official statement, law, or suggestion otherwise.

If the law changes, people will respond and adapt. Please stop posting about the threat of impounded vehicles in BAJA for RP visa holders.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 01:29 PM

Again, this SUBJECT is designed to alert folks to the fact that the nacionaliacion of cars in Baja Sur is inevitable. The question is WHEN. Sure wait until official notification comes through the one that says ONLY FRONTERA PLATE CARS CAN BE NATIONALIZED. This is what happened in northern states on the mainland. If you were driving a car with extraneous plates YOU WERE SCREWED. Is that plain enough? There will be a system where FRONTERA plate cars will allowed to be nationalized.

The MEXICAN GOVERNMENT DOES NOT ANNOUNCE PLANS FOR CARS FAR IN ADVANCE. How much time was given for Passport requirements? You can BET YOUR ASSSSS that advance warnings for INELIGIBILITY of extraneous cars to be FRONTERA plated will be 1/100th as long. Why should Baja California be any different than Sonora, Chihuahua, Tamaulipas...etc?

This isn't scare tactics gnukid, it is a head's up. INTELLIGENT people will take it no other way than a simple alert. Read mainland forums, there were/are plenty of people there just like you. You should hear them scream. No, it isn't funny to me. I feel sorry for them. If you choose to ignore discussion this is YOUR CHOICE AND NO ONE ELSE'S. The harder you scream about this the more people are going to remember your position when you scream again about not finding a car to buy. Think the delay of nationalizing a Frontera car is not going to look like a Chinese fire drill?

Some folks thought it hilarious, ludicrous, and worthy of denouncement when I wrote about the upcoming change to documentation requiring passports to get FMT's. Almost a year in advance. Yeah that was hilarious not, when they screamed about how long it was taking to get a passport. Darwin is harsh, keep it in mind...

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 01:33 PM

To Oxxo,

My compliments. Now THAT is thinking and taking the smart path.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 01:43 PM

DavidE is right about mainland Mexico. They are cracking down bigtime not lightening up as gnu implied. In the last two weeks I´ve been stopped twice and my wife once by the feds and they were very thorough with their inspection. The local transito has gotten in on the action and is loading up on mordida pesos.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 01:46 PM

DavidE,

Funny how you are certain about the inevitable certainty of your predictions...
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 01:57 PM

The laws across Mexico and across North America are being homogenized to make interactions between the countries more seamless, that doesn't suggest there is lightening up on enforcement.

Whatever does happen, I'll be sure to read the law carefully myself and share facts when it does.

Remember, that no one is forced to have a permanent resident card and you can turn it in whenever you want. As problems go this isn't on the map.

[Edited on 2-12-2014 by gnukid]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 02:20 PM

Well, I just got back from a US Consulate sponsored meeting in San Carlos, Sonora.

The Consulate did a good job of organizing it.

The Mexican representative for Comercia Exterior, a branch of Aduana, pretty much had his head up his ...............

Easily the most popular topic was what happens when you have a Permanente card and you drive a foreign plated vehicle? Nothing, according to him. In the free zone, in the rest of Mexico, it doesn't matter. It's legal..............or so he thought.

He did a quick back track when audience members informed him that people with PR cards are being denied All of Mexico permits. It was news to him.......but he promised to get back to all of us via email. :rolleyes:

Also mentioned was the new procedure on the mainland where Aduana is now issuing a permit that gives you FIVE DAYS to return your car to the border IF you have become a RP card holder and have a foreign plated vehicle. Bottom line: you cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle outside of the free zone with an RP. But this poor employee just found that out, today..........from gringos. :lol:

I spoke with our US Consulate after the meeting and he confirmed that persons with RP cards are having trouble all over the mainland with their foreign plated cards. He also reiterated that, at other meetings with other Aduana officials, the story is different than what we heard today.

Other "highlights" from the meeting..........

1-according to this same quasi-Aduana guy, you do NOT need to keep your US boat registration current IF you have a current 10 year, importation permit on the boat. But a land based RV must be kept current.

2-the visitante permit (the 180 day one that has been called an FMT, FMM in the past) IS renewable, consecutively. Or, if you leave before 180 days, you can apply for a new 180 day permit. No limit within a year, according to an INM representative. Of course they did say it should be turned in when you leave the country. No one I know does that, when leaving by land. They continue to reuse it until such time as it is close to, or expired. Remember, many of us over here are not vacationers like most Nomads seem to be.

3-IF you lose your RP or RT card within Mexico, you need to file a police report and you can then apply for re-issuance of a new one. No mention of the cost. If you lose it in a foreign country, you need to inform the Mexican consulate in that country and apply there.

4-as most already know, you have to initiate the application for a RP or an RT OUTSIDE Mexico, unless you are on the progression track by virtue of already having had an FM3. But if you miss your renewal deadline along the way, YOU START OVER AT THE BEGINNING.

[Edited on 2-12-2014 by Hook]

[Edited on 2-12-2014 by Hook]
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.