Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
A few weeks back, standing in the Ped Line coming back
to the US at TJ, was a young guy, Mex National who was
using his new Border crossing card, took him 7 yrs. to
get. No borders, can't get behind that

Sancho, I posted before that for seven years I tried to get a green card for our iive-in Nanny (She was with us for 14 years total, until the kids grew up) and was unsuccessful.

I owned three businesses in San Diego, was active politically in my community and was well known in San Diego and T.J.

It was not until my wife and I were at a house party in T.J. and I had a chance to talk to the American Consul who was also there. He said all the paperwork, all the delay,...was because 'we' (U.S.) did not want Mexican immigration at that time.We wanted asian tech people.

Well, my wife and his wife got tight together (still are friends) and two weeks later a diplomatic car pulls up at my office and I was handed (without explanation) a green card for my Nanny's kid in Michoacan,

We had him up here in three days.

Yea, life's not fair.

EDIT: Should read our live-in Nanny's Son. She was already in.

[Edited on 3-14-2014 by Cisco]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

and I know of more than a few illegal crossers going south (as we all do).

I suppose those Gringos crossing illegally into Mex, without
Mex immigration approval, I suppose, are a drain to
the Republic of Mex? Spending $ in many shapes and forms,
excuse me if I misread you and you are being sarcastic
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 02:16 PM

I said "large percentage", compared to Americans legally going south, not a 'majority'. Silly Ralph, words are for reading!

Illegal crossers going south? Really... like in the desert near Ocotillo? There is a wall... and Americans going south do so in trucks and SUVs and not with just the shirt on their backs and a bag.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

and I know of more than a few illegal crossers going south (as we all do).

I suppose those Gringos crossing illegally into Mex, without
Mex immigration approval, I suppose, are a drain to
the Republic of Mex? Spending $ in many shapes and forms,
excuse me if I misread you and you are being sarcastic

I think we all know that nobody crosses south illegally... CROSSING.

What can happen and its by design for lack of working systems, is that Americans stay in Mexico near the border more than 3 days without tourist cards or they drive south of the border zone without tourist cards... but that isn't crossing illegally.

No signs, no immigration checkpoint at Maneadero or San Felipe, nothing to let Americans know or to sell them new tourist cards.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 04:59 PM

I understand additionally, that a substantial fee is required when filing an application for a visa to enter the US. That fee is not refundable if they deny your request.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
..........No signs, no immigration checkpoint at Maneadero or San Felipe, nothing to let Americans know or to sell them new tourist cards........

David..........I don't think it's up to Mexico to post signs. If you visit a foreign country, it is up to you as the visitor to know the rules........do some research before you go

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
I'm for humans being able to traverse borders, and the sharing of cultures. I think the bashing stuff you see on tv and hear on radio is meant to sell advertising.

That's a total BS statement Jon and I'm surprised to hear it from you.

There are too many documented incidents of abuse for you to have a closed mind on this subject.

BP agents not charged because the people they killed died in another country, one, unarmed, with six shots IN THE BACK are just two examples. I could give you two hundred and you know it.

"The addiction to the pleasure and excitement of power and authority is far more heinous to all humans than any drug. Those who exercise their inimical addiction to power and authority are committing acts of destruction on the entire nation.

Cops are addicted to the (find) they have tunnel vision and get a heavy dopamine and adrenalin rush when they find something in your car or on you. Like money, drugs or what ever. They are very, very sick people with a need for control and to dominate over any satiation they force themselves into."
yup. looks we got us another dirty one. :(
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/14/dead-border-agent-k...
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

I don't think it's up to Mexico to post signs. If you visit a foreign country, it is up to you as the visitor to know the rules

Yes it is, it s the responsibility of the Tourist to know and
obey the Laws/Regs beforehand. It can be cumbersome, vague, and misinformation abounds. At times it can be ALMOST impossible to comply. Howerver that does not
change the fact is is the Visitors obligation to comply.
Fmm's, Fishing License, etc
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
..........No signs, no immigration checkpoint at Maneadero or San Felipe, nothing to let Americans know or to sell them new tourist cards........

David..........I don't think it's up to Mexico to post signs. If you visit a foreign country, it is up to you as the visitor to know the rules........do some research before you go

There used to be... 1960s, 70's and 80's... Very informative for non-Mexicans to stop at the migra station in Maneadero.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There used to be... 1960s, 70's and 80's... Very informative for non-Mexicans to stop at the migra station in Maneadero.

This is 2014, the age of the internet. People can do their research on-line and get all the information they need.

Doing that now for trips to Ireland and Italy.

If someone gets dinged in Mexico for not having the proper INM documents it's their own fault, not Mexico's.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 04:46 PM

Not saying it is a fault... I am saying it takes away excuses... and gives Mexico more taxed money!

Another plus to having a station at the southern end of the 'Border Zone' is folks who are in Ensenada for the weekend and decide to visit Santo Tomás one afternoon... Will they drive 140 miles round trip to the border to get the FMM? Nope... (say the Ensenada office is closed when they decide, it is closed more than it is open and really there for boaters, anyway)... Mexico loses bucks.

It is 2014, so you have to ask why there is less service than 25-50 years ago.. and the FMM was FREE back then, too!

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 04:46 PM

I am always amazed how many visitors to Mexico DONT have their visas to be here and so are illegal in the country.

It is prohibitively expensive to get a tourist visa for a Mexican...you must pay $100 US dollars just to book the interview appointment which you need to do months in advance...and there is only a very very small percentage that actually are granted a visa. The president of a fishing cooperativa couldn't even get one!!!!

You really need a great reason for visiting the states, like taking a course or having a spouse that is american and a destination contact, letters of support, full time job as well as a ton of paperwork too...forget about just going to visit as a tourist. This is why there are so many illegal crossings.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I am always amazed how many visitors to Mexico DONT have their visas to be here and so are illegal in the country.

It is prohibitively expensive to get a tourist visa for a Mexican...you must pay $100 US dollars just to book the interview appointment which you need to do months in advance...and there is only a very very small percentage that actually are granted a visa. The president of a fishing cooperativa couldn't even get one!!!!

You really need a great reason for visiting the states, like taking a course or having a spouse that is american and a destination contact, letters of support, full time job as well as a ton of paperwork too...forget about just going to visit as a tourist. This is why there are so many illegal crossings.

And as I mentioned, the fee is NOT refundable.

That said, there have been a few think tank studies that basically state that if the US were to have some form of amnesty, it would be a boost to the economy. That's because it would allow the government to obtain much more tax revenues for work that has thus far been done under the table.

Mexican citizens, legal or not, have been a large piece of the US economy for many decades. In fact, one of the prime beneficiaries of their presence has been the corporate farmers.

There is a new movie that just premiered at the South By Southwest festival in Texas dealing with Cesar Chavez. It's worth a look.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 05:01 PM

Excuses are like noses, everybody has one, and it is amazing how many people WHO KNOW (like some Nomads who advertise the fact) the rules, ignore them.

The Ensenada INM office may serve boaters, but it is not "really there for them anyway"....it is there to serve the population of the Municipality...it is apparent that you don't spend enough time in the Ensenada INM office to see what their business really is. I have been in there about 12 times for FM-3/FM-2 renewals and issuance of the RP card..........didn't see any boaters..........

I'm just saying know before you go and follow the rules.

Yup, 2014 and not much is free anymore anywhere

Quote:
Not saying it is a fault... I am saying it takes away excuses... and gives Mexico more taxed money!

Another plus to having a station at the southern end of the 'Border Zone' is folks who are in Ensenada for the weekend and decide to visit Santo Tomás one afternoon... Will they drive 140 miles round trip to the border to get the FMM? Nope... (say the Ensenada office is closed when they decide, it is closed more than it is open and really there for boaters, anyway)... Mexico loses bucks.

It is 2014, so you have to ask why there is less service than 25-50 years ago.. and the FMM was FREE back then, too!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 05:12 PM

Why is it on the wharf at the harbor if not designed to serve boaters???

No problem Baja Guy, I am all for making it easier for the people of Mexico to be rewarded by a happy tourist or traveler looking for fun and adventure.

Make it hard to have the proper papers, then the people of Mexico lose the benefit of travels... It really could be easy to do, and not scold tourists for not researching the details and stopping at the border... Happiness, not punishment should be what people who go to Baja experience! Happy people spend more money than people who are fined or extorted or blamed.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 05:18 PM

The Ensenada INM office is NOT "on the wharf at the harbor", and I rest my case.

Quote:
Why is it on the wharf at the harbor if not designed to serve boaters???

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 05:18 PM

I'd like to see a virtual immigration office! one you could visit from the comfort of your own baja man cave. you could photoshop a picture of yourself in front of the office, one shaking hands with a virtual agent, maybe one of the virtual taco you're about to eat. you could fill out a virtual FMM, print it and put it on the wall with the rest of your memorabilia, never having to ACTUALLY cross the border!
perfect for the quasi aficionado!:yes:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 05:27 PM

Not very hard to get the proper paper work to go to Baja last time I checked.

It probably aught to be little harder to keep some of the rif raf out.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
I'd like to see a virtual immigration office! one you could visit from the comfort of your own baja man cave. you could photoshop a picture of yourself in front of the office, one shaking hands with a virtual agent, maybe one of the virtual taco you're about to eat. you could fill out a virtual FMM, print it and put it on the wall with the rest of your memorabilia, never having to ACTUALLY cross the border!
perfect for the quasi aficionado!:yes:

You mean as easy as it is to buy Mexican Auto Insurance on BajaBound.com ? :light:

Since a passport is now required by Mexico to get an FMM, that may be an issue the Internet won't help!

Bajaguy, if they moved it from the harbor, and you want Nomads to use it, maybe it would be great if you shared that wisdom?

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 06:06 PM

Nomads shouldn't need to know where it is....they need to get their FMM at the border. The local ex-pat community knows where it is, and has been for 9 years. But for a public service, it is on Blvd Teniente Azueta.

Sharing my "wisdom"......The INM office directions:

At the first stoplight as you come into Ensenada Centro on HWY 1, before the fish taco stands on your right, make a right turn at the light (Teniente Azueta).....go about a half block, INM is on your right next to the Port Captain's office and CONAPESCA - where you get a fishing license

Quote:

Bajaguy, if they moved it from the harbor, and you want Nomads to use it, maybe it would be great if you shared that wisdom?

[Edited on 3-16-2014 by bajaguy]

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.