Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Nomads who lost Windows XP
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 05:50 PM
Printers

We have two brother printers about 4 years old. I was able to go to the Brother web site and download updated drivers to both laptops by choosing and downloading the Win 8 and 8.1 OS drivers and the printers communicate and function as designed and work with both laptops configured to look like Win 7.

[Edited on 4-20-2014 by bajaguy]

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 05:50 PM

I'm glad I have a Mac and don't have to worry about any of this, it's 4 years old and runs the latest operating system flawlessly. I just upgraded it to an SSD and 8gb of RAM and now it works better than ever.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
I'm glad I have a Mac and don't have to worry about any of this, it's 4 years old and runs the latest operating system flawlessly. I just upgraded it to an SSD and 8gb of RAM and now it works better than ever.

Yep yep:tumble::tumble:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
If anyone is interested, Costco.com is still selling Toshiba and HP laptops with Win7 Professional. Many also ship with 8.1 CDs but they are pre-loaded with Win7. That's the route I am going. My XP machine of seven years is finally dying. It has been the workhorse computer for the whole house for many years.

NICE!

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 07:37 PM

AFter a learning curve, I learned to really like Windows 8.1 and the touch screen, but I am still fighting with ASUS of the lemon of a computer I bought.

Not only does it keep turning off on its own, the touch screen keeps quitting and all they keep doing is reloading of OS and return me a computer full of viruses, malware, adware --- tons of junk.

It is back at customer service and they want to do the same thing and I am saying NO. It is one of those things of trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results that is insane.

So I think Windows 8.1 is a good thing, and I will never buy another ASUS. Every company can have a lemon, but when customer service is rotten, well, not much can be done about that.
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 08:17 PM

Go to 7...if your printer doesn't work buy a new one they aren't that expensive and scan print, etc. Also the new printer will most likely support WiFi which most of us will like. DO NOT USE XP ON THE INTERNET AS YOU ARE ASKING FOR PROBLEMS. Just my 2 pesos. Jim
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 10:41 AM

I think since Microsoft security essentials is no more for XP all you need is a good internet security program and firewall like MacAfee or PC Matic and you can go on line, but you won't get any patches for sub programs and files working in XP. it should be a short term approach - get 7or 8 if your machine can handle it, or like I had to - get a more modern machine.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
AFter a learning curve, I learned to really like Windows 8.1 and the touch screen,
I've used touch screen tablets for a while now and like the concept. Last week I went into a computer store and tried various Win8 touchscreen laptops, and was APPALLED at how much the screen moved when I touched it; doesn't seem like they considered the touch aspect when designing the hinge system. As I said, I LIKE touchscreens, but I thing the manufacturers have some thinking to do about their touchscreen laptop implementations... :(

Maybe that is why my touch screen quit? I didn't use it all the time, but I did use it and yes, it does move.

At this point, I am thinking I will have to trash my less than 1 year old ASUS laptop, so maybe I won't get another touch screen on a laptop for now. Or I will just continue to use it in its faulty condition.

I may just get a large tablet for travel.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 12:25 PM

The touchscreen mode can be disabled

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 07:44 AM

I went to Win 7 a few days before XP died. I rebuilt my computer with a Crucial 500 480 GB SSD (about $237) a new motherboard and CPU chip. Unbelievable fast. My Current Wife :-) is cleaning up a lot of old family pictures and it used to take a half minute just to pull up a picture to edit, now it is instantly. Bite the bullet and go to an SSD for speed and Win 7 for security.

I was completely happy with XP but the hackers are out there....

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 01:15 PM

50 Open Source Replacements for Windows XP

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/50-open-source-replace...

Linux based....and free. A few closely mimic XP.

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 01:38 PM

More tech savvy people than I thought!! Thanks so much. Here's what I did:

Since I have 1 gig of RAM, 87 % hard drive capacity left (450 novels left in this old machine and I'm 77 years old) I kept my XP, downloaded Avast and punched in another gig of RAM -- $100 bucks, back in business and I don't have to learn any new systems or worry about things I wanted to keep that might be lost in the transfer.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 08:30 AM

So just got another Xp update from avast, sounds like they are taking over where Microsoft left off and will continue to keep Windows XP safe especially with chrome browser

http://blog.avast.com/2014/03/12/avast-will-continue-to-support-windows-xp-for-home-and-business-users/
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 08:42 AM

Don't be afraid to get an Apple MacBook Pro. I've had one for 9 years. No hassles. I will never own a Windows computer again.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 10:13 AM
XP Alive and ..............

Well here.

So far.

Although I've got two machines running Win 7, I still like XP better and I'm trusting McAfee (along with usually very cautious habits) to keep me safe.

Interestingly, two weeks ago I received a call from the AMEX fraud line telling me I had a "possible" fraud attempt made on my card and I accepted their suggestion to have it replaced.

I, of course, immediately thought of the XP vulnerability, but it appears much more likely that the problem lay elsewhere such as a vendor.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-26-2014 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
I went to Win 7 a few days before XP died. I rebuilt my computer with a Crucial 500 480 GB SSD (about $237) a new motherboard and CPU chip. Unbelievable fast. My Current Wife :-) is cleaning up a lot of old family pictures and it used to take a half minute just to pull up a picture to edit, now it is instantly. Bite the bullet and go to an SSD for speed and Win 7 for security.

I was completely happy with XP but the hackers are out there....

Hey Neal, I sent your comments over to my tech-savvy son, and he said, "RIGHT ON". Next weekend I go down to Chico with my computer for him to convert it over, like you said.

Many thanks.

Barry
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 02:34 AM

If your using XP (which you shouldn't) don't be using IE :)

Serious Internet Explorer flaw puts XP users especially at risk

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/27/internet-explorer-securit...
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Right after Easter my tech guy will come over to download Windows 7, get rid of Outlook and secure my computer best he can. Am I the last Nomad to do this? Those who didn't have to upgrade by buying a new computer; what problems have cropped up if any?

I've been using my computer to write books and stories, store pix and do research. I don't use it for music or big files and in several years I've only used about 12% of my original gigs so I don't see a good reason to buy a new computer yet. What say you geeks?

You should get a new machine. They are cheap as dirt now.
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Don't be afraid to get an Apple MacBook Pro. I've had one for 9 years. No hassles. I will never own a Windows computer again.

I have a Mac from work. It's not worth the cost if you are playing out of your own pocket.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-28-2014 at 09:12 AM

I have a question for you techies...if I do the Unbuntu Linux deal, will my existing programs like photoshop etc still work the same? I am still using XP but with Avast and Firefox browser.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.