Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Copa mundial!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-23-2014 at 11:18 PM

I was tied up with stuff, finally got to a bar at the 71st minute to see that it was 0-0. Ho-hum, typical soccer game...........

Before I could finish my first beer, Mexico had scored three goals!!

Now, that's the way soccer is SUPPOSED to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg

Futbol way better that watching a bunch of 7 foot freaks run up and down a court, stuffing a ball in a hoop that should be 10 ft higher.:no::P:spingrin:

Are you serious?!

I would rather watch 'freaks' run up and down a 100' court then a 100 yard court. Imagine playing basket ball and not being able to reach your opponents goal, 3/4 of your passes are stolen (yawn). Or shooting a basket once every 10 minutes (double yawn). Or guys falling in agony for 5 minutes and then springing up as though nothing happened.

The sport doesn't lend itself well to viewing by a televised audience. They look like ants down there. With basketball you see face closeups of players during the game, beads of sweat on a man's face. In soccer you need televised replays to see how the goal was scored.

And then there's that endless running. Up and down they go for 90 minutes and the score remains 0-0 (triple yawn).

Maybe I'm missing something....

<just stirring the pot>
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

<just stirring the pot>

I'm amazed at the stamina of this caliber of footbol player. They sprint for 90 minutes and live to do it again.
Not only are the players impressive to watch, the seldom-loved referees are even more impressive, sprinting right along with the players for 90 minutes while running sideways in the process.

Try that next time you go to the fridge for a quart of beer and a meatloaf sandwich.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 10:27 AM
Mexicans are Passionate

...about their soccer.

Last afternoon, our Telnor high speed internet line was so clogged that it took minutes, not seconds, to load a page - I guess that the entire country was watching online.

Last night, the LA news reported on street parties in Pacoima that had the CHP locking down the off ramps on the 5 freeway in that area.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

Futbol way better that watching a bunch of 7 foot freaks run up and down a court, stuffing a ball in a hoop that should be 10 ft higher.:no::P:spingrin:

Are you serious?!

I would rather watch 'freaks' run up and down a 100' court then a 100 yard court. Imagine playing basket ball and not being able to reach your opponents goal, 3/4 of your passes are stolen (yawn). Or shooting a basket once every 10 minutes (double yawn). Or guys falling in agony for 5 minutes and then springing up as though nothing happened.

The sport doesn't lend itself well to viewing by a televised audience. They look like ants down there. With basketball you see face closeups of players during the game, beads of sweat on a man's face. In soccer you need televised replays to see how the goal was scored.

And then there's that endless running. Up and down they go for 90 minutes and the score remains 0-0 (triple yawn).

<just stirring the pot>
With apologies to my Canadian wife, it's almost as boring as hokey :P

Bob Durrell
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 10:44 AM

Mexico is lovin' this.

President Pena-Nieto has given the country's businesses to broadcast and watch it when Mexico plays, and it's a feature on the nightly world news.

So fun!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 10:46 AM

Viva Mexico and Viva Brasil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 11:33 AM

Viva Mexico y Viva Holanda !!

Let's see who survives next round.

With a name like mine, have to stick with The Netherlands. :P:biggrin::biggrin:

And.... put my money on Chili !!!!

[Edited on 6-24-2014 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 12:58 PM

Quote:

And.... put my money on Chili !!!!

Hormel, or Denisons? :biggrin:

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 02:28 PM

Soccer is one of my favorite sports to watch but I will admit it is an acquired taste. Once I came to truly understand the game I realized it is much akin to a physical game of chess. The entire game is played with no time outs for huddles to discuss strategy. There are no commercial breaks except for halftime and if a player is ejected from the game for a violent foul, that team cannot send in a replacement. They have to play the rest of the game with one less player. The entire game is played launching offensive strikes towards the opposing goal, using a myriad of different strategies against the other teams defense of their goal, much like in chess. In soccer the action is nearly non-stop and takes incredible athletic skill to play. There are no fat players in soccer as there are in golf, baseball and American football.

American football is a great excuse to take a Sunday afternoon nap. Two teams lining up against each other in nearly the same formations for the entire game. Both sides attempting to run the other side over with huge shouts of joy for achieving the incredible achievement of advancing the ball 30 feet forward after four possible attempts. The only difference is whether they choose to pass or run the ball with a majority of the plays resulting in little to nothing gained. It's all mixed in with lots of penalties, more time on commercials for beer, life/car insurance and investment firms with a few reviews of challenged calls that are played over and over to determine if his big toe actually touched the line or not. The final two minutes of the game can drag on endlessly for what seems to be hours until the referee blows his whistle and finally puts us all out of our misery.

Baseball is the worst, where 2 out of 3 star players usually fail to reach first base with a hit and a single at bat can go on forever with countless foul balls. In baseball it's easy to defend against a strong, big hitter; you simply walk the big dupe - how boring is that? Too many games go the full nine innings with only 1 or 2 players ever reaching home out of more than 60 players at bat. And what if it starts to rain? Game is called - what a bunch of pansies!

In both sports, 95% of the game is played with nothing happening.

In baseball, players split time between sitting on the bench or standing around on the field. Oh and wait - there's that exciting 7th inning stretch! And if it weren't bad enough, there's not even a clock in the game to bring a merciful end to all the inaction. Some games of 0-0 nothingness can go on, late into the night with endless extra innings. Hoo-boy!

In football, even if you find the play exciting to watch, you have to endure when there is nothing going on. So if you add up all the time between the tackle and the next snap, time outs, penalties, measurements, commercials, etc you realize that in the end, there is very little real action going on. It's the only possible way that a bunch of extremely overweight men can make it through the entire game without suffering cardiac arrest. Wrestling (which I hate) is much more exciting.

Basketball is slightly better where at least they are moving for most of the game but when you try to cram ten players onto a relatively small court it also gets very boring. It doesn't allow for much variation in plays with so little room for ten big guys to play on one half of the court. The point guard Dibbles the ball up court, passes it into the 7 foot plus center who tries to muscle it into the basket just inches above his head. After one quarter of that I'm switching channels.

Thanks, but no thanks. Think I'll stick with soccer...

[Edited on 6-24-2014 by BajaGringo]

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 03:07 PM

Well said, Ron

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Well said, Ron

Gracias amigo.

I forgot to add - another great reason to watch the world cup is mexico's "HH" - Hector Herrera. He is the first player from Baja California (Playas de Rosarito) to ever play in the cup and was chosen by FIFA as one of the best midfielders to play in the cup this year, making FIFA's first team:

FIFA incluye a mexicano Héctor Herrera en el 11 ideal

[Edited on 6-24-2014 by BajaGringo]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Viva Mexico y Viva Holanda !!

With a name like mine, have to stick with The Netherlands. :P:biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 6-24-2014 by vandenberg]

Wasn't the little boy that plugged the hole in the dike also named Vandenberg?
Seriously you must be proud that the USAF named their primary west coast missile launch facility after you. :tumble:

Bob Durrell
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 05:41 PM

Memo Ochoa!

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
Memo Ochoa!

Didn't he test positive after his dream game? How did that turn out?

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Memo Ochoa!

That was an internet hoax that made the rounds. One of many similar fabricated news stories making the rounds in Brazil...

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 07:00 PM

I won't defend baseball as the most "exciting" sport. It isnt, at least on a continuous , chronological scale.

But it has a subtleties, from pitch to pitch, that only avid fans recognize. Pressure builds from pitch to pitch in many situations, especially the playoffs.

Scoring isn't the only exciting activity in baseball. Good pitching and good defense (like robbing hits or HRs from players) is exciting to the faithful. Good defense, which includes good pitching, are always appreciated in sports where scoring is relatively low.

Baseball isn't for everyone. It's pace is too slow for the Immediacy Generation, fostered by smart phones and 4G connections. But large sections of the world still understand it's appeal.

I am so glad to see it growing in other parts of the world, especially Latin America, where lifestyles are still slow and the value of life isn't measured in megabits per second.

[Edited on 6-25-2014 by Hook]
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 07:22 PM

One of the amazing things about soccer is that magical spray they have that heals an injury in about 30 seconds that should require amputation! Incredible! Guys go down and you can see by their reaction that the injury is at least career-ending if not fatal and then - boom - back up and running down the pitch. You got to admire that. :rolleyes::lol:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
One of the amazing things about soccer is that magical spray they have that heals an injury in about 30 seconds that should require amputation! Incredible! Guys go down and you can see by their reaction that the injury is at least career-ending if not fatal and then - boom - back up and running down the pitch. You got to admire that. :rolleyes::lol:

And certain countries' players tend to heal quicker than others....I won't mention any by name....:light:

danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 6-24-2014 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Memo Ochoa!

Gee Dennis, I don't know. As I said earlier, I know little about soccer, but I've enjoyed watching him, especially in the first match.
He had a couple of nice saves.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.