Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: New Tacoma
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2014 at 10:32 AM

Actually, I think my sticker said 19 hwy. and 16 city, and that is what I got until about a year or two ago when my city mileage dropped to 14+. The 19+ hwy. mileage only happens if I drive slow or use Pemex gas!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2014 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The only recall I got for my 2010 Tacoma was to have them cut shorter my gas pedal... in response to the 2009 (?) incident in Santee where a Lexus dealership's loaner car had two floor mats together on the driver's side, and the gas pedal on it stuck, causing a crash at the end of Hwy. 125 and the deaths of the occupants. That led to a nationwide panic that somehow Toyota had unintended acceleration issues with many people faking this to get out of speeding tickets or get paid something. My 2010 has been pretty near perfect, as was my 2001 Tacoma... My gas pedal is the original, I only have one floor mat on the driver's side, and my truck only accelerates when I want it to.

I have the 2010 also and had the gas pedal recall and just took it in for a seat belt recall. Definitely not happy with the gas mileage either.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2014 at 11:35 AM

What was the seat belt recall? Have you noticed the mileage dropping in the past year or two for the same driving?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2014 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
What was the seat belt recall? Have you noticed the mileage dropping in the past year or two for the same driving?

The seat belt recall was for loose brackets inside the rear door. I have the access cab though, I think yours is the extra? I thought it was my imagination on the mileage until last month when I checked it again. I'm very dissapointed.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2014 at 04:38 PM

VW turbo diesel Amarok! wouldn't that be nice?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2014 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba
Quote:

The seat belt recall was for loose brackets inside the rear door. I have the access cab though, I think yours is the extra? I thought it was my imagination on the mileage until last month when I checked it again. I'm very dissapointed.

My 2001 was the 2 door Xtra Cab. My 2005 and 2010 were both Double Cab (4 full size doors).

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-14-2014 at 05:45 PM

My wife has a Toyota Matrix aka Pontiac Vibe....lotsa recalls but remains a pretty good rig...There are lots of us who don't buy trucks based on the color of the paint or the design of the hood...But we don't live in Kalifornia ...My Dodge 1990 Diesel has over 800,000 miles on it...my brother in laws Toyota PU has over a million miles...drive what makes sense and smile.
s

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2014 at 09:45 AM

I just checked my mileage again, a little under 17 and that's 75% freeway driving. Not good.
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2014 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
Never has a motor vehicle of any make got the mileage the add claim ,Never

My VW Passat TDI is listed as 30 city/40 hwy. I get 36 city and, depending on how open the freeway is, anywhere from 43-51 highway. It's insane... and it ain't even broke in yet.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2014 at 03:58 PM

DEEEZELS are the bomb.....

AndyP
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2014 at 03:59 PM

My '92 Toyota pickup, 4cylinder 2wd, just averaged 29mpg from Oregon to Baja and back, heavily loaded. Reading this makes me much less envious of all the newer 4wd rigs that kept passing me.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 08:14 AM

DK did your milage drop when you put the bigger tires on it?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 08:34 AM

The gas mileage number dropped about 1/2 mpg off the bat, but now the speedometer is accurate. It read fast with the stock tires. The mileage has dropped more long after the 265/75-16 tires replaced the stock 265/70-16 BFGs. I just think the California gas is being diluted with more nonesense because as soon as I put Pemex in the tank, my mileage goes back up... even with a heavy load for camping.

The 4 door V-6 4WD Automatic Tacoma was rated for 16/19 mpg (city/hwy) when I got it... and I did get those numbers (not always on the hwy because I drive more than 65 mph so I do't get rear ended).

The speedometer would indicate I was driving 67 or 68 mph when the GPS said I was going 65. With the 1" taller tires 65 is 65, and I gain 1/2" of ground clearance.

The 2015 Pro Tacomas are coming with the taller tires.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
I just think the California gas is being diluted with more nonesense because as soon as I put Pemex in the tank, my mileage goes back up... even with a heavy load for camping.

comparing your local driving in san diego to your long-distance driving in baja is comparing apples to oranges. in baja you are probably doing relatively longer distances with less stopping/starting. also, in baja your highway cruising speed is lower than that on the high speed california freeways.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
I just think the California gas is being diluted with more nonesense because as soon as I put Pemex in the tank, my mileage goes back up... even with a heavy load for camping.

comparing your local driving in san diego to your long-distance driving in baja is comparing apples to oranges. in baja you are probably doing relatively longer distances with less stopping/starting. also, in baja your highway cruising speed is lower than that on the high speed california freeways.

And his idea of a heavy load is a full ice chest, and a pup tent.:rolleyes:

You can't blame everything on California.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Quote:
Quote:

Obviously the goat has never tried to follow DK on the hwy in Baja and you have never been camping with him. I have.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2014 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps I wasn't clear or maybe you and the goat just missed it, but I have highway mileage readings as well as my typical daily driving work mileage figures. On the highway in the USA... including a trip to Tucson and back last year with no load in the truck, my USA gasoline mileage is still inferior to my Pemex gasoline highway mileages (and those are with heavy load in the truck).
MPG 2010 4 Door 4WD V-6 AUTOMATIC TACOMA
USA HWY LIGHT: 16-18 vs. MEX HWY HEAVY: 18-20
USA DAILY WORK: 14-16 (mix of HWY and CITY)

Gasoline is fuel and Corn is food... Ethanol free gasoline is better for everyone. Viva Pemex!

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2014 at 08:30 AM

I have had three Dodge Cummins Diesels, and luv em. My 1990 2WD Dually got 23-26 MPG all the time. It now has over 800,000 miles on it, the head has never been off. My 1995 4WD had 306,000 on it when I sold it, foolishly. My current 1996 has 336,000 miles on it and with my 9.5 Lance camper always gets over 15MPG, even towing my tin boat.....I had a Ford Diesel for a very short time. My Daughter has a Chevy Duramax, really nice, but too spendy for me. She had to replace the Allison transmission, over 10K, some thing to think about....It would be nice if Toyota or Nissan imported their diesels....

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2014 at 09:13 AM

Diesel Toyota Hilux trucks are all over Central America. Toyota fans in the USA sure would like to have the Hilux here over the Tacoma... solid front axle, and more 'real-truck' stuff.

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 6-22-2014 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
The gas mileage number dropped about 1/2 mpg off the bat, but now the speedometer is accurate. It read fast with the stock tires. The mileage has dropped more long after the 265/75-16 tires replaced the stock 265/70-16 BFGs. I just think the California gas is being diluted with more nonesense because as soon as I put Pemex in the tank, my mileage goes back up... even with a heavy load for camping.

The 4 door V-6 4WD Automatic Tacoma was rated for 16/19 mpg (city/hwy) when I got it... and I did get those numbers (not always on the hwy because I drive more than 65 mph so I do't get rear ended).

The speedometer would indicate I was driving 67 or 68 mph when the GPS said I was going 65. With the 1" taller tires 65 is 65, and I gain 1/2" of ground clearance.

The 2015 Pro Tacomas are coming with the taller tires.

David, Thanks for the salutations on Tristans B Day.
What Pemex fuel grade do you use ? I feel the higher grade expense is more than off set by performance and mileage gains.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.