Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Tecate CPB Complaint
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 08:35 AM

Also in Tecate:

Officer:"Have any fruits or vegetables?",

Me: Yes a few limes (they were bought in the USA but limes are permitted anyway).

Officer: "Oh, I need you to go to secondary...".

Me: Limes are permitted...

Officer: "Well, a lime is like an orange, and they oranges aren't permitted."

Me: :rolleyes:

In secondary, after 15 min. waiting for the Ag inspector... looked at the note on my windshield from the officer.. laughed, said "LIMES?!!" and told me I could go (not even looking at my limes.

How's that more government is better government working for YOU??? :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
Get your precious kids their passports, if your family was involved in an incident where you needed to extract them out via emergency air flight i.e. Med-Jet, LifeFlight, Aero Med-a-Vac ... it's mandatory for the injured to have a passport to be flown out in an emergency ...

EXCELLENT ADVICE TIM!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 08:44 AM

Don't get me wrong, I also find many of the border guards to be grumpy, condescending, rude, sourpusses but having ID other than a passport, even if permitted, does slow things up. I don't like it when the person in front of me at the booth hands the guard papers instead of a passport and I have to wait while the guard looks things over, probably trying to decide whether or not the papers are authentic.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 08:50 AM
One Better..........

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Also in Tecate:

Officer:"Have any fruits or vegetables?",

Me: Yes a few limes (they were bought in the USA but limes are permitted anyway).

Officer: "Oh, I need you to go to secondary...".

Me: Limes are permitted...

Officer: "Well, a lime is like an orange, and they oranges aren't permitted."

Me: :rolleyes:

In secondary, after 15 min. waiting for the Ag inspector... looked at the note on my windshield from the officer.. laughed, said "LIMES?!!" and told me I could go (not even looking at my limes.

How's that more government is better government working for YOU??? :lol:

Female CBP inspector at the primary booth: "what is in the ice chest"

Me: "dirty clothes"

Female inspector fills out ticket, places under windshield......"pull into secondary"

Secondary agent (male), looks at ticket under windshield wiper: "why were you sent to secondary??"

Me: "dirty clothes in the ice chest"

Secondary agent (smiling): "may I look"

Me: "yes, sir"

Secondary agent after looking in ice chest (trying to hold back from laughing): "have a nice day and drive safe.

It is my belief that there is a "secondary quota" that all primary booth inspectors have.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
Get your precious kids their passports, if your family was involved in an incident where you needed to extract them out via emergency air flight i.e. Med-Jet, LifeFlight, Aero Med-a-Vac ... it's mandatory for the injured to have a passport to be flown out in an emergency ...

We were holding off primary as we had a tentatively planned on going overseas and thus would need a standard passport for air travel. I don't think that is going to happen so we are likely going to go with passport cards for the whole family.

Now you are going to get me all worked up over the bs involved with the different types of passports and the associated costs for obtaining them.....:fire:

I'm still at a loss as to why the agent didn't know the regulations?!

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 09:19 AM

BB, "Tiene armas, tiene poder". It's like the sign in our VFW hall; "You may be an officer of the Post, even the Post Commander. However, the bartender on duty is COMMANDER IN CHIEF."

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Just me, but, I would never pull up to the booth with the lid of an ice chest closed unless, of course, it had ice in it.
I try to think ahead and be prepared for any stooped questions. If you take away their game, it leaves them speechless.
Remember...we are their entertainment. :light:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

I'm still at a loss as to why the agent didn't know the regulations?!

They know the regulations. Jeeezo...they live the regulations.

It's one of their methods, to engage you in conversation that might set you off. They look for nervousness which may prompt further inspection. That's why I say, just sit there, grin and drool. It'll all be over soon.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 09:25 AM

Yup, my bad

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Just me, but, I would never pull up to the booth with the lid of an ice chest closed unless, of course, it had ice in it.
I try to think ahead and be prepared for any stooped questions. If you take away their game, it leaves them speechless.
Remember...we are their entertainment. :light:

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 09:26 AM

Just have your kids surrender and ask for their right of asylum
After all they are being persecuted by their own country

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
If you frequently travel to Mexico, why not get your kids passports? What if you need to fly? You will need a passport. Regardless of USA law, Doesn't Mexico law require kids to have a passport?

I agree with the cbp comment that the lines would be shorter if people traveled with passports. I am sure it adds time to process people showing paper birth certs,... They are not easy to verify, have no chip to scan, etc.

While there is no good excuse for rude guards at border, I bet border crossing guards can tell a lot of stories about rude gringos they have dealt with at the border! :lol::lol:

Would be interesting to have a cbp nomad here to tell stories about some of the people they have to deal with at the border, eh? I bet Mexicans xing the border are much more polite, as they perceive risk of getting flagged and losing visa privileges, eh?

....'funny' thing--us canadians have to be just as careful....it's only americans who are entitled to come and go from the states
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
BB, "Tiene armas, tiene poder". It's like the sign in our VFW hall; "You may be an officer of the Post, even the Post Commander. However, the bartender on duty is COMMANDER IN CHIEF."

....ohhh,,I always thought the sign in the wall translated as...''don't even -think- of talking back--the US Border is it's own law''

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Passports are a big dollar hit but just pony up.

......probably nothing compared to the stupid I-192 'pardon' process --cost me months and ~$700....now I have a pardon letter to show that I had zero record to be pardoned from!!!:o:?::rolleyes:

..'can't fight stupid'',,,indeed:barf::barf:
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
I previously posted my 2 negative encounters at the SY border crossing both of which were with female agents. 2 out of 1400 crossings in 3 years.

1400 crossings in 3 years?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
Quote:
I previously posted my 2 negative encounters at the SY border crossing both of which were with female agents. 2 out of 1400 crossings in 3 years.

He's a Cartel. :lol:

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha

....ohhh,,I always thought the sign in the wall translated as...''don't even -think- of talking back--the US Border is it's own law''

Yuppers, that about sums it up; the 'Occifer' in the booth is his/her own law at that exact given time and lane; they have a gun, and they have the power, and they make the rules. Any arguments (especially if you're in the right) just makes for flunking the 'personality test' and if you complain hard enough, they can dismantle your vehicle down to the nuts and bolts in front of you, and YOU have to put it back together. Makes for a very long secondary.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 03:01 PM

WOW BajaBoy, I too, researched that birth certificates were enough, and they are according to your research and mine as well, but I certainly don't want no freaking hassles, thanks for letting us know!

You got a good point there, Dennis, "they know the regulations", "it's one of their methods to engage you"....

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
Quote:

Yes, because I used to take my son north for school, return home to Tijuana, and go back north to get him in the afternoon. Most of time on my motorcycle. I'm happy to be done with that now.
baconjr
Nomad

Mood: Es la vida de perro!

[*] posted on 7-17-2014 at 06:45 PM
It is the attitude of the guard.

I just crossed with my niece and her 5 year old. The guard looked at the birth certificate, letter from her father, my ready pass and my nieces expired passport with her birth certificate and was waved on. You could have knocked me over with a feather. It is up the the guard.
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
If you frequently travel to Mexico, why not get your kids passports? What if you need to fly? You will need a passport. Regardless of USA law, Doesn't Mexico law require kids to have a passport?

I agree with the cbp comment that the lines would be shorter if people traveled with passports. I am sure it adds time to process people showing paper birth certs,... They are not easy to verify, have no chip to scan, etc.

While there is no good excuse for rude guards at border, I bet border crossing guards can tell a lot of stories about rude gringos they have dealt with at the border! :lol::lol:

I bet Mexicans xing the border are much more polite, as they perceive risk of getting flagged and losing visa privileges, eh?

Would be interesting to have a cbp nomad here to tell stories about some of the people they have to deal with at the border, eh?
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-19-2014 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

The officer went on to lecture me that the long border waits are due to people such as us who do not follow the proper protocol. I was not very pleased with the lecture but kept my mouth shut.

Zachary Johnston

A little ways back a female guard at Tecate crossing lectured us on how irresponsible we were for bringing or children to Mexico, now who was holding up the line :?:

I told her the most dangerous part of our trip was still to come..... We have to drive through Phoenix Az to get home and sometimes over nite there.
I wanted to tell her she might consider working out, loose the muffin top, go get layed and raise her endorphins since it seemed ok to give me life's answers.:lol:

[Edited on 7-19-2014 by BajaRat]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.