BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Shakedowns of Canadians transiting the U.S. to Baja?
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
Cisco
There are many folks who think these seizures are a good tactic by police. It is usually tied back into the terrorism mantra.

Thank you.

Sheesh, we're in worse shape than I thought.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 09:04 PM

Just more proof of how out of control things are in the US today.

With all of its problems, dangers, warts and potholes, I feel more free living here in Mexico than back in the country of my birth. It truly pains me to say that and many of you know what we have been through down here....

m923a1

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 09:14 PM

Here's the Washington Post story that's referred to by CBC.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/09/06/st...

After reading it, I, too, am concerned that there are abuses going on, but I would still say the CBC interpretation of it is skewed. I'm mostly concerned about the violation of privacy going on when people/cars/license plates are being tracked and recorded.

Canadians aren't the target, but yeah, one could safely say that if you are a foreigner, you probably shouldn't be driving around with tens of thousand of dollars in currency.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by m923a1
Canadians aren't the target, but yeah, one could safely say that if you are a foreigner, you probably shouldn't be driving around with tens of thousand of dollars in currency.

That in itself is now a crime???
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Just more proof of how out of control things are in the US today.

With all of its problems, dangers, warts and potholes, I feel more free living here in Mexico than back in the country of my birth. It truly pains me to say that and many of you know what we have been through down here....

Well said Ron, and yes, unfortunately what you and your wife went through is happening more and more NOB also.

The poverty and disillusionment of many, not knowing if they will have work or health care available tomorrow is making folks very fearful and actually desperate now. I don't know where it will go but I'm certainly more cautious when I'm out in town or on the road in U.S. now.

No, I do not feel "free" as before.

Un favor. Could you post your old 'El Ocho' avatar again maybe for a day or two. That's still the way I think of you now even with your "new look" avatar.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:

No one said it was a crime. Stupid, yes:light:

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 09:34 PM

Baja boy,
Why is it stupid?
Is it stupid to have a luxury car or lavish house?
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 09:35 PM

Appears there is more danger from govt agents taking cash than regular street hoods.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Baja boy,
Why is it stupid?
Is it stupid to have a luxury car or lavish house?

I feel uncomfortable walking around with a few hundred bucks on me. What if you got in an auto accident and the car burst into flames? If I had a lavish house or a luxury house, I would have insurance. Just the same, I would not travel with large amounts of cash....just doesn't make sense to me.

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Quote:

Zac, there's some rulings that can make it a crime I understand.

10K or more seems to be the point at which everyone gets excited. Tried moving in excess of that amount in banking and was told that the authorities had to be notified and why not do $9,999 and it's legal.

Don't know what the deal is but there's something about leaving the country with more than 10K cash that screwed up a trip my oldest boy was making last year. Missed a flight while they verified funds, or his source of funds. They wanted it themselves.

And years ago, before the peso devalued the more politically astute friends I had in T.J wanted to get the money out of the country. We moved millions of pesos to the U.S. side, investing all in real property. That's where "Taco Tower" at the shores and a lot of Coronado Cays came from.

Hold for 18 months and sell for cash American.

There was so much of this going on that those of us in real estate financing, mortgage banking, escrow, whatever were made into IRS 'snitches' by having to abide by the new RESPA act. Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act where the initial funds for the purchase had to be accounted for or they were taxed with any sale proceeds.

So yea, there seems to be a law or regulation for just about everything and it all seems to go from our overall's pockets to the nebulous "Man" somehow.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Appears there is more danger from govt agents taking cash than regular street hoods.

Govt agents and regular street hoods are beginning to look one and the same.

Cisco - let me find it and I'll put it back up...

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 09:42 PM

Baja boy-
One persons comfort level shouldn't dictate anothers freedom level.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Quote:

Zac, there's some rulings that can make it a crime I understand.

10K or more seems to be the point at which everyone gets excited. Tried moving in excess of that amount in banking and was told that the authorities had to be notified and why not do $9,999 and it's legal.

Don't know what the deal is but there's something about leaving the country with more than 10K cash that screwed up a trip my oldest boy was making last year. Missed a flight while they verified funds, or his source of funds. They wanted it themselves.

And years ago, before the peso devalued the more politically astute friends I had in T.J wanted to get the money out of the country. We moved millions of pesos to the U.S. side, investing all in real property. That's where "Taco Tower" at the shores and a lot of Coronado Cays came from.

Hold for 18 months and sell for cash American.

There was so much of this going on that those of us in real estate financing, mortgage banking, escrow, whatever were made into IRS 'snitches' by having to abide by the new RESPA act. Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act where the initial funds for the purchase had to be accounted for or they were taxed with any sale proceeds.

So yea, there seems to be a law or regulation for just about everything and it all seems to go from our overall's pockets to the nebulous "Man" somehow.

It's an old law on the books to prevent money laundering....any deposits into banks etc., over $10k have to be documented. Same thing goes for money coming into or out of the country. It is perfectly legal to leave or enter with this amount or greater as long as it is declared.

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 09:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Govt agents and regular street hoods are beginning to look one and the same.

Cisco - let me find it and I'll put it back up...

Thanks Guy. Yea, you really looked the part, always got a kick out of that photo. That was "Old Days" stuff.

Reminds me of being in on the first floor and the guy's on two and three would throw their habena (sp) out to land in front of us and there would be oatmeal everywhere. Everyone who had been in there more than one meal learned to get behind the others in the cell so you wouldn't get splattered.

Yea, before was better. And as much as I love my country it's getting scary up here.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 10:17 PM

The militarization of the US police forces and all agencies such as the Dept of Education, the Agriculture Dept , and Social Security Admin.now having their own SWAT teams is the most dangerous and ridiculous thing to happen since the founding of this nation. Everything from domestic to international matters that displease our government are now met with maximum force. This is a trend that is under increasing scrutiny by more and more citizens but will be extremely difficult to correct.
m923a1

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 10:45 PM

By using the stats given in the article (62,000 people having a total of $2.5B dollars seized; 31,000 of which had an average of $8,800 dollars seized), the other 31,000 people then had an average of around $80,000 seized.

Out of the 62,000 people, they listed the 3 most egregious errors in seized assets they could find and it totaled just over $100,000 dollars.

$80,000 is a lot of cash to be casually carrying around in a car.

[Edited on 9-12-2014 by m923a1]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 08:22 AM

You ever wonder about the sensors you now drive past going south, as you leave the U.S.?
How about the new signs that warn you not to take over $10,000 out of the U.S. (or some other amount)?
Does our dollars ($100 bills) now have chips in them so they can track where they are?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Does our dollars ($100 bills) now have chips in them so they can track where they are?

If the bills don't have them now, its coming soon. I think one of the big reasons we don't see a " turn in your old bills for new high tech currency " is many of the people involved in laundering and kick backs are your elected and appointed officials and they don't want to stop the gravy train.
Can you imagine the global impact for some having to declare what US cash they posses currently, Ruu Roooo.
Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by m923a1 … I'd say the story is a greatly sensationalized…

I'd say the story is only being sensationalized if it's not your money being seized.

[Edited on 9-12-2014 by Feathers]
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 09:55 AM
signs new?

I don't think the signs about $10,000 limit on cash out of US are new.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
You ever wonder about the sensors you now drive past going south, as you leave the U.S.?
How about the new signs that warn you not to take over $10,000 out of the U.S. (or some other amount)?

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.