Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sad Introduction. Stolen Polaris RZR
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 2-5-2015 at 07:50 AM

I feel your pain. March of 2004 I was the victim of a theft, my Cessna T-210 was stolen from the El Rincon airstrip south of Punta Colorada. Never saw it again or any information about it. LUCKILY I had full insurance coverage and after 3 months AND a visit to the airstrip by an investigator, I was paid off in full.

Fast forward to August of 2008 when I was notified that my ATV was stolen. A neighbor's workman heard the ATV start and drove down to see 2 20 something year olds riding off with it. He followed as far as he could till they went cross country.

I usually removed a tire and chained it to a post but after a number of years with no threats AND I assumed that all the high native brush and barbed wire would deter any theft efforts. I also left the tires on and only cabled the machine to a post with a Kryptonite cable.

Sent all information including VIN #, pictures, etc to the La Ribera Police and posted on the Baja Pony Express. Not too long after the theft it was determined who the young thieves were and who in town they were related to. No matter, nothing came of it as they did not live in town.

Jan of 2009 I happened to be in Los Barriles and as I was driving out of town I saw a Bronco with a trailer and an ATV on the trailer parked in front of Chapito's. I parked and examined the ATV and even though decals, luggage racks, and now with bald tires, I was able to read the engine VIN# and determine it was mine. The "owner" came out of the store and when I told him the news, he said ok, I have just put a down payment on the machine a week ago and I will get my money back! This guy was about 40 yrs old and fat, not the thief, but?? He lived in San Jose and was on his way to El Cardonal for the weekend. There was almost 4,000 miles added to the ATV BUT, by a fluke of luck, I got it back.

When I showed the ATV to the police in La Ribera all they did was hand me my file, period. A few months later the "owner" stopped by my friends house where he had towed the ATV for inspection, and wanted money from me. My friend said that I had moved and he didn't know where I went. Nobody ever charged with anything.

SO, good luck, and remember, locks don't work. Disable anything with wheels or wings so that they can't be moved. FF
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2015 at 09:22 AM

It's too bad that your airplane didn't have a remote control kill switch.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 2-5-2015 at 05:24 PM

I wish I had gone to a terrorist website and found a design for a bomb and pressure switch that would detonate at a prescribed altitude, but then I recognized the chance I might forget, gulp!

The interesting part is that 9 months later another attempt was made to steal my replacement plane. BUT this time I had figured out a way to make the plane unable to start unless one replaced a dummy part I installed after landing. Chalk up one for the gringo!!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-5-2015 at 07:59 PM

Few years back,during the Baja 1000.KTM racer on 15,000$ bike.Was staying at Hotel Past Ensanada south.Woke up in Morning bike was gone.Motel owner came to me,Asked me to help.Since anything with bikes I know about.Long story short spent 3 hours asking.Then one friend said I saw bike in next town.I told him see if you can get bike back.500 dollar reward.I called rider in Ensanada,told him I offered the reward I hope you get here fast if bike comes.Bike came back that night,Could not find rider,I paid the money.His crew came back he was racing.Of Course they did not have money I let them take bike anyway.He came next day give me my money back.Thanked me thousand times,we been friends ever since. If there are any bike shops in Area,they will know who took it,also the Police know the rats
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 12:03 PM

When my reward pulled some rats out of their hole in San Felipe last year, the guy that brought the bike back lived across the street from where the bike was stolen (while I went into the bakery for a donut :rolleyes: ). His family operated a small motors /motos repair shop....the guy said his younger sibling saw who rolled the bike away.....and my San Felipe local motel owner said the family was a respected one.....

what counts is that I got the bike back......for about 10% of its value

The only person who thought it was a bad deal was Fulano....but WTF does that goon know? :lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.