Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: New hell at the border
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 01:26 PM

A photo (or transcript) of the sign would be good information for future crossings.

Now, as to being turned back to the US....

The first thing I would have done was to try another crossing. There are three so you have two more chances to get a less interested or zealous border official.

The one time that I was turned back at San Ysidro, I immediately headed to Tecate and went across with the same items and no comments from the officials.

So it took me an extra hour. I still had all of my stuff when I arrived in La Paz.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 01:40 PM

I totally agree with the find another crossing - we live here in Baja, only go to the States once a year for the holidays (usually) and when we shop there, we shop for items that one cannot get here in la Bocana or closeby. The total easily tops $700...we would be very bummed to be turned back!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 02:35 PM

It is a bummer if the meat import rule is being enforced. Anyone can hit the Baja for a few weeks and not miss anything from the US or Canada, but when your down there for months at a time there are many things you really begin to miss. Personally I don't know how I will survive without decent pepperoni or kielbasa sausage.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 03:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by junkyarddog  
One thing that can be counted on in beautiful Baja is change.

Well, the new change at Tecate is a big sign that lists all the things we can't bring with us and that now includes ALL meats and dairy products. If you have a freezer full of your favorite goodies to partially sustain you during your stay, YOU ARE GOING DIRECTLY BACK TO THE USA TO DISPOSE OF THEM!

I wish my friends had taken a picture of that big sign that caused them to be turned back to dispose of those items. They gave them to a mission in Tecate, USA...lucky mission, getting about $700us worth of high quality meat and dairy products that would have sustained my friends for their lengthly stay in Baja.

Would somebody please get a picture of that sign and post it so we can see what all the new rules are?

In "the old days" yuk, yuk. The Border Patrolman would put any prohibited items in a large galvanized trash can by the booth.

At the end of his shift he would take "HIS' can with him and we would party out and B.B.Q., drink, smoke,...at home in I.B. on it.

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
geezelouise, how do you know junkyarddogs friends weren't a group of twenty?? and who cares. thanks for the heads-up and warning junkyarddog! see where it gotcha!

What he said. To add to that, how do any of you know that they weren't taking treats for friends? Thank you for the info. Hard to find a good tri tip cut in baja, let alone kryovac of them. One of our friends, yes, local Mexican friend, is waiting anxiously for his.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 04:58 PM

If you bring items that are prohibited, you should expect to face the consequences. I've never had a problem finding good meat south of the border, hell, you can stop at Costco and buy all the USDA meat you want if you just can't live without that 'merican beef.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 05:06 PM

I never leave home without a healthy dose of Budweiser. They gave me a little grief once, but that was it.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 05:06 PM

Monoloco,

Does the Costco down there carry the kryos of tri tip? I've never been in one down there, honest curiousity here.

P>;)))>{

On edit: how the heck did I give my signature fish the ole' winky eye?

[Edited on 15-2-2015 by Paulina]

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 05:11 PM

what the hecks a "kryos" ? (I like the winky eye!)
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 05:18 PM

It's a sealed plastic bag full of tri tip meat, in this case. They cost about $80 a bag.

P:biggrin:)))>{

On edit: this fish face thing is freaking me out.

[Edited on 15-2-2015 by Paulina]

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 06:25 PM

health reasons
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 09:18 PM
Where's the BEEF ?

During my Baja-Living years, I bought at numerous Supermarkets in Mexicali and never saw a decent Rib-Eye. Which, besides the occasional New York, T-Bone/Porterhouse or (rarely) Filet Mignon, is the steak I eat the most.

It's NOT a matter of whether you can live without the steaks, but WHY should one ?

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 10:11 AM

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now, for the rest of the story". The people reported by JunkYardDog just happen to be from my small village. They are very kind, considerate, giving, and generous. Part of what they were carrying was for a program here that provides breakfast to 50-60 children every morning. The program is run by a person who had a "change in lifestyle" and his way of giving back is to direct and run a program that was started some years ago to provide some healthy nutrition to the local children before school. So, a lot of what everyone assumed was a hauling down of T-bone steaks and the like may be a misrepresentation of what was actually being hauled. And this "haul" has happened numerous times before with no problems, so the original poster was wondering if something radical had changed.

Here are a couple of pics of the program and some of the kids.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 10:24 AM

well as junkyarddog said, at least it went for a good cause, not to a border patrol barbeque! ;)
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paulina  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
geezelouise, how do you know junkyarddogs friends weren't a group of twenty?? and who cares. thanks for the heads-up and warning junkyarddog! see where it gotcha!

What he said. To add to that, how do any of you know that they weren't taking treats for friends? Thank you for the info. Hard to find a good tri tip cut in baja, let alone kryovac of them. One of our friends, yes, local Mexican friend, is waiting anxiously for his.

P>*)))>{

That was my thought, perhaps they were giving to others. Some people can be so quick to pass judgement.

P>*)))>{

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jack  
. Personally I don't know how I will survive without decent pepperoni or kielbasa sausage.

Readily available in La Paz.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 12:07 PM

Considering that this importation of this serious quantity of meat and cheese was to help the Mexican people, I'd recommend spending the $700 at a Mexican mercado next time. That seems to me to be an altruistic win/win, and not a violation of Mexican law. Am I missing something? Other than food safety issues, it seems the law is designed to encourage visitors to buy Mexican products while they are here. Kids learn better in school when they have a full belly, I'm in favor of that on BOTH sides of the border.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vgabndo  
Considering that this importation of this serious quantity of meat and cheese was to help the Mexican people, I'd recommend spending the $700 at a Mexican mercado next time. That seems to me to be an altruistic win/win, and not a violation of Mexican law. Am I missing something? Other than food safety issues, it seems the law is designed to encourage visitors to buy Mexican products while they are here. Kids learn better in school when they have a full belly, I'm in favor of that on BOTH sides of the border.

I don't believe you are missing a thing, Vag. What you say here makes good sense to me, and I practice and believe in it.

Barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vgabndo  

I don't believe you are missing a thing, Vag. What you say here makes good sense to me, and I practice and believe in it.

Barry
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 02:19 PM

I came a cross at San Luis on Monday last wth a highly visible freezer full of elk, antelope venison, pheasants and such. I was asked what was in it and said meat. No problems....

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.