Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: New Immigrations checkpoint
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 05:30 PM

This sounds like a really good way to determine what proportion of Gringo travelers are scoffing at Mexican law. If one is NB or SB at Maneadero you're clearly south of Ensenada and an "undocumented alien" if you didn't have at least an FMM. I've been amazed at the number of people if seen or heard admit to having sneaked into Mexico without permission. Having said that, I recognize that having consecutive FMM's is also a violation.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 06:15 PM

Yup, government loves laws and fines... gives them purpose.

Since none of the Americans 'sneaked into' Mexico when they drove across the border and passed the red/ green light gate... and there is NOT ONE sign along Hwy. 1 or 5 saying non-Mexicans cannot go south of, or stay longer than... without a tourist card... how much 'guilt' is the casual tourist supposed to shoulder?

Not everyone who drives into Mexico reads Baja Nomad to learn these obscure rules... Why not SELL the tourist cards right there where they are required, make some money for the republic, and let people enjoy Mexico (and spend more money on actual businesses there)?

[Edited on 3-6-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 06:29 PM
different rules different border agents?

A friend of mine has some people coming thru Algadones and he asked if they could get free FMM's for less than 7 days to visit San Felipe. The immigration man said NO, that too many people over stayed the seven days.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 06:33 PM

Not much has changed. You still can visit TJ and Ensenada for up to 72 hours [some say one week] without an FMM.
Mexico is becoming a country that enforces laws, so we have to comply. It makes everybody's life easier.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 06:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Since none of the Americans 'sneaked into' Mexico when they drove across the border and passed the red/ green light gate... and there is NOT ONE sign along Hwy. 1 or 5 saying non-Mexicans cannot go south of, or stay longer than... without a tourist card... how much 'guilt' is the casual tourist supposed to shoulder?

Not everyone who drives into Mexico reads Baja Nomad to learn these obscure rules... Why not SELL the tourist cards right there where they are required, make some money for the republic, and let people enjoy Mexico (and spend more money on actual businesses there)?

Be real --- the majority of ex-pats and travelers in Baja do NOT belong to this forum. And for anyone to travel into a foreign country without seeking information regarding the travel restrictions, laws, etc., deserves to be fined.

Over the years the people we know and have met who are in Baja or on the mainland without the proper papers know the rules; they choose to now follow them. It is a choice as long as one is willing to pay the price.

Imagine if you had to jump through the hoops that the Mexicans have to go through in order to visit the USA.

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 06:52 PM

So do my kids 9, and 15 years old need FMM's..
Both still traveling on birth certs.

What kind of nightmare are we in for trying to get an FMM in TJ during semana santa?

Whatever it takes it will be worth it!!

TT
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 07:17 PM

LOL... what difference does it make what the United States requires? People come here for a lot more reasons than Americans, many just wanting to camp, surf, or fish in Baja.

I am NOT suggesting anyone break any rules, just make it possible for EVERYONE to obtain the papers, simply, without a hundred different versions of where it is needed. It worked great in the 70's when I began driving myself south. We pulled up to the little shack south of Maneadero, and with a birth certificate (or as U.S. president's picture on some green paper), a FREE tourist card was issued.

In summer of 2000, they figured why not start getting Americans to spend money before they are even fully in the country. It's been a headache ever since to know the true rules... or see it in print, why is that?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 07:39 PM

I lost my card (180 day). my plan is to file a report with the local police in Mulege to document the loss. But then can I get a new one any closer to me than LaPaz or Tecate or some such far away place? San Rosalia maybe??

My thinking is that I will wait to file the report until close to when I'm headed North and then have the report in hand when I hit any such immigration check point. The lost one runs out in early May just a few days after my planned Northbound trip.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 07:54 PM

"Ignorance is my excuse...I watch Fox News":lol::lol::lol:

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 08:04 PM

We were down last week to see the whales with Shari. Had a great time! We all had our fmt's But we never were asked to show them!
I have seem Federal police at that stop before, but never had to stop.
Getting your fmt is really easy at the new TJ crossing, why not just
get it?
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 09:07 PM

LOL... what difference does it make what the United States requires? People come here for a lot more reasons than Americans, many just wanting to camp, surf, or fish in Baja.

I am NOT suggesting anyone break any rules, just make it possible for EVERYONE to obtain the papers, simply, without a hundred different versions of where it is needed. It worked great in the 70's when I began driving myself south. We pulled up to the little shack south of Maneadero, and with a birth certificate (or as U.S. president's picture on some green paper), a FREE tourist card was issued.

In summer of 2000, they figured why not start getting Americans to spend money before they are even fully in the country. It's been a headache ever since to know the true rules... or see it in print, why is that?

What a headache to know the rules? Let me Google that for you. I just plugged-in "Driving to Baja what do I need to know". With the exception of a State Department safety warning, and Mexperience.com one after another after another of the sites provided by Google detailed the identification, insurance, and immigration information a person would need to know to be prepared to enter the country. Other than some vague numbers about the "border zone" on one site, and the San Felipe site seeming to make the assumption that people would not be traveling farther south, I found all the information to be consistent with what most of the seasoned travelers on this forum seem to have found to be true. While it is true that it is no longer possible, or advisable, to try to bribe an immigration officer in lieu of presenting proper ID, the process at San Ysidro is smooth and easy with plenty of free parking, a payment window steps from the immigration office, and a friendly staff who are remarkably tolerant of people who haven't bothered to learn any meaningful Spanish. People who cross any international border without knowing the regulations regarding immigration, it seems to me, are either woefully uninformed, or are purposefully risking the consequences. I've never been checked for an FMT or FMM and it has never been a worry.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 09:24 PM

you pays your moneys and you haves your funs.....

FMM, don't leave home without it!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 10:14 PM

Yes free,At the office at TJ crossing. It was Sometime around 8/14.They even told me at the Mexican Embassy in LA.It would cost me xx dollars.When I give all my papers to get it.Then pulled out money to pay cashier.The officer said No money Buy BUY. Does anybody think they do things in order in Mexico? If you dont pay the property tax in San Vicente.No one collects it.Less then 20% pay it. I do;)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 12:08 AM

and get this, my mom is coming to visit and they would not give her a tourist visa at the Mexican consulate in san diego. what's up with that?

of course she can get one at the border but I thought she could save some time by getting it beforehand.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 07:53 AM

Poor David. Life is so difficult. You can surf and camp in the good old USA. Why not stay there then. Of course you have to pay your way. You obviously do not like that part.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 08:20 AM

We need to remember that Mexico also has a southern border that has its own set of problems concerning foreigners. Specifically, there are many people entering Mexico illegally from Central America that have no money and are looking to stay permanently in hopes of a better life. The new immigration rules and the tightening up of enforcement is probably driven more by the issues at the southern border than at the northern border.

I hope there is someone reading this message that can read Spanish well enough to translate the rules stated in this document. See section 1.3 on page 26.

http://www.gobernacion.gob.mx/work/models/SEGOB/Resource/689...
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 08:25 AM

We are ALL Africans! Ha ha ha, don't you wish it was that easy.............

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 08:27 AM

How about invalid vehicle insurance without valid visa in Mexico for motivation to obey the ley :light:
Why would anybody risk prison and financial ruin over that
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Yes free,At the office at TJ crossing. It was Sometime around 8/14.They even told me at the Mexican Embassy in LA.It would cost me xx dollars.When I give all my papers to get it.Then pulled out money to pay cashier.The officer said No money Buy BUY. Does anybody think they do things in order in Mexico? If you dont pay the property tax in San Vicente.No one collects it.Less then 20% pay it. I do;)

Quite a difference (in this case) between Buy Buy and Bye Bye! :lol::lol:

Bill Kauth

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 09:08 AM

We have some new checkpoints over here, suddenly. In this case, INM is stopping buses to make sure there are no illegals coming from the south of Mexico, headed to the US, illegally. They are not stopping cars.

Mexico is starting to get tough with their immigration regulations. For those of us who have always paid up to be legal, it's about time.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.