BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Who's getting a Telsla Power Wall?
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 5-4-2015 at 09:37 AM

Next door neighbor is installing a full system in an older home dating back to the '60's. It's 100% financed, payment is 20% higher than current Electricity bill. Payment drops back to current level in 6 years and he owns the system in 10 years. The electric utility attempted to pass a user fee in this years legislature for folks who are solar, it failed. I understand that there are currently incentives to go solar but expect them to fade away soon due to utility political pressure and increasing number of users. Right now, they have to take the overproduction back into the grid and credit the owner. We have a professional soccer stadium that is converting to solar as well, the panels are mounted to give shade and weather relief to cars in the parking lots. The conflict between solar and our current coal fired electrical utility is becoming obvious. I'll be voting with my pocketbook for sustainable, renewable solar when the engineer completes my home analysis.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 09:29 AM

RV full- timers we know during winters in Southern California traded off a fifth wheel they had the previous year with its' solar panels and a wndmill for a large diesel pusher and in place of the truck, an electric car. This winter he sold the DP's generator, equipped the RV's roof with even more solar panels, and with a lot of work and equipment, is able to do without buying gas , diesel, or electricity, while parked for the winter. He recharges his car from his RV. His new car will give him an workable range to drive out for supplies at stores some 80 miles away. Within the park (dry camp area) he and his wife ride around on three wheel bicycles with electric motors for assist, a modification he did himself.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 10:58 AM

YouTube: Elon Musk Debuts the Tesla Powerwall

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 12:36 PM

Some money numbers and facts to consider...

http://www.wimp.com/tesla-source/

Don't believe everything you think....
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 01:20 PM

Elon was kind of selling it like one battery would do a normal house but after checking the amps/volts I don't think just one battery will run a power tool( 8.6 amp peak output)...but I'm no electrician, maybe I'm missing something.

http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

[Edited on 5-6-2015 by Mexitron]
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 02:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
Elon was kind of selling it like one battery would do a normal house but after checking the amps/volts I don't think just one battery will run a power tool( 8.6 amp peak output)...but I'm no electrician, maybe I'm missing something.

That battery runs at 450 volts, so the 8.6 amps is about 2600 watts. Still not a lot of power. At 450 volts that lets out all the current off grid charge controllers and inverters for use with this battery. Must be special made equipment just for that high voltage, although I think that some grid-tie inverters run at high voltage, not sure.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 03:12 PM

Just spoke with a solar power consultant... asked about this Tesla thing... he said it doesn't exist, the factory isn't built yet, and it is just a feeler for a concept product (seeking investors/ stock sales). True perhaps???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 03:29 PM

David--on the Tesla site it has a "Reserve" window to take tentative orders for "deliveries this summer", so the skepticism quotient is a little high-- your consultant is right, no "giga"factory yet and there was no box for my credit card number to actually buy one yet. But the response has been very positive so far so that might be enough to move forward at least on a small scale. He'll need a huge chunk of dough to build the gigafactory in Nevada so I can understand the baby steps....and at least it will be assembled in the U.S if not entirely manufactured here (???).

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 04:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  

That battery runs at 450 volts, so the 8.6 amps is about 2600 watts. Still not a lot of power. At 450 volts that lets out all the current off grid charge controllers and inverters for use with this battery. Must be special made equipment just for that high voltage, although I think that some grid-tie inverters run at high voltage, not sure.

Thanks ... this kinda stuff is good info ... IMHO
Photobum

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 04:54 PM

2600 watts is not much....my air-conditioning unit on my Airstream needs 3500 just to start. And once you start looking loads with microwave ovens, coffee machines, and oh, hairdryers...well you don't have a lot left over....

Most houses are going to need a minimum of two Powerwalls, and then the money decision goes back towards the grid.

The shelf life question is big....warrantying for ten years sends a message, but if you look at battery usage in phones and computers, what is promised versus what is reality you will have to wonder.

Your mileage may vary.....

[Edited on 5-6-2015 by Photobum]
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 06:18 PM

Glad to see that the industry is moving forward....even faster than the naysayers. It will mature soon.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 06:34 PM

Wonder what the comparative cost is to have a little electrolysis system to use solar/wind to charge a hydrogen fuel cell instead of a standard battery. Less heavy metals to deal with too.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 06:56 PM

I have always liked Flywheel Storage Systems. High efficiency, quick recharge time and decades long life span.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel_energy_storage

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 08:22 PM

Thanks great info ... :):)

"Costs of a fully installed flywheel UPS are about $330 per kilowatt[30] In combination with a diesel generator set or integrated design, it supplies continuous power as long as there is fuel."

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 11:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
I am definitely interested. Elon Musk is a visionary who can make things happen, he may be the Thomas Edison or Henry Ford of our time.

He is certainly preparing for the future --- we were quite surprised when they installed a car battery station in Lone Pine by the Movie Museum --- out here in nowhere.

Diana: Lone Pine is not nowhere!! The Owens Valley is my home away from home!!!!!!!!!!!! (and Saline Valley....and Panamint Valley...and Death Valley...and Eureka Valley...)
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 12:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
I am definitely interested. Elon Musk is a visionary who can make things happen, he may be the Thomas Edison or Henry Ford of our time.

He is certainly preparing for the future --- we were quite surprised when they installed a car battery station in Lone Pine by the Movie Museum --- out here in nowhere.

Lone Pine is in between somewhere and somewhere
The charging stations are distributed by the range of the cars, a 30 minute recharge in Lone Pine will get you to the next "destination"
In the meantime you've got 30 minutes to relax, and you are right by the Movie Museum

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 04:20 AM

Just noticed this on the web; thought i'd throw it in the mix.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/teslas-new-battery-...

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 07:26 AM

I thought tesla was going to build cars with quickly replaceable batteries, so a fill up did not require waiting for charge, just long enough to swap batteries,...
That's the the problem with e cars, not practical for long trips,... And most people don't want to maintain multiple cars, one for city, one for country, etc.

[Edited on 5-7-2015 by mtgoat666]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 07:27 AM
Tesla's New Battery Doesn't Work That Well With Solar

Something I just read:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-06/tesla-s-ne...

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 07:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
Something I just read:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-06/tesla-s-ne...

You should clarify it says nothing about technical, just says that it does not make sense to sell battery when the industry is selling people grid tie for net metering. Seems if you read between the lines they will start marketing batteries when net metering economic preference disappears.
Net metering as currently priced in California is great, but it is just another wealth transfer from less wealthy to the more wealthy... Bound to end when the downtrodden wake up and realize what is happening,...

P.s. Full disclosure, I have grid tie PV with net metering,...
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.