Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Generators above 4000 watts
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2015 at 09:43 AM

Laventana
I guess I misunderstood what you meant by running them in parallel. Your estimate of .333 gph of fuel consumption sounds a little high to me. But maybe they are a very large one cylinder diesel. My Kubota 6500 watt 2 cyl diesel uses .333 (1/3)gph.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2015 at 10:31 AM

I believe he spoke of wiring two power meters parallel to take advantage of lower kwh rates while his neighbors were gone for the summer.
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 7-5-2015 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
here is the problem with the blue one...

parts...its a chineese knock-off
no parts...
"bosch-like" injectors doesn't mean a bosch injector fits

in fact when it breaks...its a "throw-away"

you need a "name-brand" engine and
a "name-brand" generator if you want to keep it any time at all
think "kabota" and "Stanford"

I made the mistake of getting a fuel tank mounted UNDER the generator...that sounded good but its not...its hard to fill and messy

the air cleaner is way too small too...diesels take ALOT of air under load...if the air is restricted they can suck oil right by the rings
diesels are a lot more powerful then gas engines

as for those tiny 2000w diesels...
i'd sell those things up there and NEVER bring them down
end the pain BEFORE it starts

a 2000w generator is JUST too small for a regular house AC unit...
remember a toaster takes 1500-1800w
a small coffee pot 1000-1200
a blender 800w
a vacuum 1200w
etc etc

and I wouldn't believe ANYTHING about the hours they're supposed to run...everything breaks here in this harsh Baja location

I know what you are saying, but diesels are an exception... I have a diesel pick up truck 1986 vintage... Its been here in baja for 15 years, yes it is a rust bucket... but engine is just fine. As I mentioned used a honda EU1000 for 10 years down here and sold it to buy a larger one. That is correct the chinese knock offs did not even last 2 full uses of 2 years...

These 2k are not chinese made knock offs they list for USD$5k. I did not realize the other one was, had been looking for the engine manufacturer and found it strange I could not. If it is a chinese diesel I do add this , I would not buy it till I had a bunch of ratings by people who owned them.

As far as the size, I ran on a 1000 watt unit for about 6 hurricanes with the longest I had to deal with is about 3 weeks of no power/water. All our purposes are different. I again have a honda eu1000and made it through 2 weeks of Odile no power water. I built my place with the thought of hurricanes, so I use the smallest mini-splits there are for the bedroom where I sleep at night. I wanted comfort at night with the smallest decent generator a EU1000 I have a 7000 btu AC unit. It is driven of 4 amps. My honda EU1000 can run it and my bedroom has R9 walls, r30 roof, and double pane vinyl UVA and UVB 99% reflective glass as well as IR reflective glass. Also has a vapor barrier coating. A steel insulted door with weather stripping. So when I wake up with a tiny 5000 or 7000 BTU AC unit my lips are chapped because it is built with insulation.

Yes in the larger areas that have 1.5 ton AC units I do not use them when I lose power and use the pool to cool off.

So with my 16 years have done just fine with a 1000 watt in 12 of those years. So moving up to big time 2000 watt generators. This way do not need to move everything into one fridge anymore. and now will have two fridge ice makers running vs one... I love my fridge dispensed ice, that is my luxury during hurricanes...

[Edited on 7-5-2015 by laventana]

laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2015 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
Laventana
I guess I misunderstood what you meant by running them in parallel. Your estimate of .333 gph of fuel consumption sounds a little high to me. But maybe they are a very large one cylinder diesel. My Kubota 6500 watt 2 cyl diesel uses .333 (1/3)gph.

I will check on the speck for the fuel usage but that is at 75% power. It does not list a lower power usage.

The parallel part is using my neighbors meters during the summer. Since they are from the same transformer I can wire them in parallel. If one draws more of the power I shut that one down at the circuit breaker accordingly. If they were from different transformers I would have to be very careful. IE only have one on at a time and lock the service boxes at all times. Just no room for error. But in general being neighbors most est 8 out of 10 people will be on the same transformer.

[Edited on 7-5-2015 by laventana]

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2015 at 06:23 PM

here is the problem with the blue one...

parts...its a chineese knock-off
no parts...
"bosch-like" injectors doesn't mean a bosch injector fits

in fact when it breaks...its a "throw-away"

you need a "name-brand" engine and
a "name-brand" generator if you want to keep it any time at all
think "kabota" and "Stanford"

I made the mistake of getting a fuel tank mounted UNDER the generator...that sounded good but its not...its hard to fill and messy

the air cleaner is way too small too...diesels take ALOT of air under load...if the air is restricted they can suck oil right by the rings
diesels are a lot more powerful then gas engines

as for those tiny 2000w diesels...
i'd sell those things up there and NEVER bring them down
end the pain BEFORE it starts

a 2000w generator is JUST too small for a regular house AC unit...
remember a toaster takes 1500-1800w
a small coffee pot 1000-1200
a blender 800w
a vacuum 1200w
etc etc

and I wouldn't believe ANYTHING about the hours they're supposed to run...everything breaks here in this harsh Baja location
Not a "Chinese knock-off". Northern Lights is a reputable supplier of land and marine based generators, with a dealer network with a service and parts department. Folks have had no problem obtaining parts for their products around here. Also, this generator doesn't need a giant air cleaner because it's only a 5kw unit and the motor isn't that big, I know of several of them is use and haven't heard of anyone having any issues.

[Edited on 7-6-2015 by monoloco]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-5-2015 at 07:18 PM

i searched for the factory that makes the diesel engine for northern lights...
they are hiding where its made...I cant find the factory anywhere

you are right... probably not china...
probably korea or india

all diesels need AIR when under load...I know now from experience

the guys who put that filter on were sizing it for the shipping BOX
not for service

these diesels will idle just fine with that small air filter...
suck oil when under load

monoloco know of some in use...everyone has a friend of a friend
I'll bet they just sit there and are NOT in "real" use

they are pretty and look correct...i'd still stick with a name brand engine and generator that you can buy part easily at a local "tractor store"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2015 at 09:17 PM

i searched for the factory that makes the diesel engine for northern lights...
they are hiding where its made...I cant find the factory anywhere

you are right... probably not china...
probably korea or india

all diesels need AIR when under load...I know now from experience

the guys who put that filter on were sizing it for the shipping BOX
not for service

these diesels will idle just fine with that small air filter...
suck oil when under load

monoloco know of some in use...everyone has a friend of a friend
I'll bet they just sit there and are NOT in "real" use

they are pretty and look correct...i'd still stick with a name brand engine and generator that you can buy part easily at a local "tractor store"

Bob, I'm in Port Alexander Alaska, which is 100% off the grid because there is no grid. These generators run everyday, some continuously. They would not be using them if they were problematic.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 05:19 AM

so who makes the engine and
who makes the generator

edit: you could call them...I don't have a phone or I would

[Edited on 7-6-2015 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 07:44 AM
off the top of my head

Westerbeke,,Onan, Northern lights are all top ginnys...I'm the guy that repairs them and does any service.. The Honda is OK for small loads and not heavy duty.....just about any thing else is for weekend warriors and are now cheap in price and cheap in design and parts...you get what you pay for !!:cool:...EDIT !! just reread bob's post about buying a genset from a "tractor" store...LOL,,LOL...Now,, That's down right funny !! and I don't care who you are,,Thats funny !! :lol:

[Edited on 7-6-2015 by captkw]
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 07:53 AM

Onan and Nothern Lights are top notch and I think under the same company or merged.

I run an Onan 13Kw diesel on my boat and have some 600 hrs without a single hitch. Well, it stopped running recently. It would shut down after starting and read the diagnostic beeps and pointed to low or lack of water flow. The smart thing was telling me to change the impeller :) really good units.

Back to my gen set. Our place in La Paz is on the grid and only looking to use the gen set during an emergency like a big hurricane. I think the Costco Champion Gen will serve for that purpose and heck has a lifetime guarantee :)

Make it a Great Day!!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 08:06 AM
genecag

impellers are Soo overlooked and under serviced..also ck your exhaust elbow for restriction and rust/goo/junk...
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
Westerbeke,,Onan, Northern lights are all top ginnys...I'm the guy that repairs them and does any service.. The Honda is OK for small loads and not heavy duty.....just about any thing else is for weekend warriors and are now cheap in price and cheap in design and parts...you get what you pay for !!:cool:...EDIT !! just reread bob's post about buying a genset from a "tractor" store...LOL,,LOL...Now,, That's down right funny !! and I don't care who you are,,Thats funny !! :lol:

hey don't forget my yanmar diesel engine is also a top notch one.

also do not forget Yanmar does make tractors coincidently...

what impellers are you referring to? and will look at my exaust elbos for rust once I have my units here. thanks for the tip.

Genecag, could you enlighten me to the details of a lifetime warranty on a generator? Never heard of that on a generator, I am not a fan of Champion ones as that is one of the brands that did not last 2 years for me at the rated power. By the third year with about 300 hours had to get a new one because it could not get my fridge to run without tripping the circuit breaker on a generator rated over 3kw, yet my honda 1000 could.

one real important issue is change your oil per manufactures recommendation......

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 08:43 AM
laventana

Ha,Ha used to hangout at laventana before more than 2/3 wind surfers had ever heard of the place..the impeller and funky exhaust elbow problems are marine gensets..Yanmar make a good diesel and seem to have one major drawback..their part's are so over priced that throwing diemonds and gold bars over the gunnel seems like a cheap way to tell depth in a anchorage !!
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 11:54 AM

:) Lifetime guarantee from Costco and not Champion. Membership has it's advantages :)

Quote: Originally posted by laventana  

hey don't forget my yanmar diesel engine is also a top notch one.

also do not forget Yanmar does make tractors coincidently...

what impellers are you referring to? and will look at my exaust elbos for rust once I have my units here. thanks for the tip.

Genecag, could you enlighten me to the details of a lifetime warranty on a generator? Never heard of that on a generator, I am not a fan of Champion ones as that is one of the brands that did not last 2 years for me at the rated power. By the third year with about 300 hours had to get a new one because it could not get my fridge to run without tripping the circuit breaker on a generator rated over 3kw, yet my honda 1000 could.

one real important issue is change your oil per manufactures recommendation......

Make it a Great Day!!
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 12:33 PM

Ha,Ha used to hangout at laventana before more than 2/3 wind surfers had ever heard of the place..the impeller and funky exhaust elbow problems are marine gensets..Yanmar make a good diesel and seem to have one major drawback..their part's are so over priced that throwing diemonds and gold bars over the gunnel seems like a cheap way to tell depth in a anchorage !!

any possibility you have some old pictures of this area?

Note I do not buy Chinese knock off generators anymore. I am working with a single cylinder easy to work on engine. So as far as the Japanese mil spec Yanmars go, because there is a exact appearance chinese knock off of the L48 engine. Getting aftermarket parts for them that are made in china are very cheap now. For me I do not care who makes the valves, and gasket sets. These parts are so easy to make correctly that I trust these parts.. It is the housing and cylinder walls and rings, these parts that are so critical and tough metallurgically in manufacturing, well I would not buy knock off parts. These just are not proper copies. With a single cylinder engine that I can do the work, well what a few hours to take apart and a few getting machined if need be, and a day reassembling. Ya that would cost me bank at a shop with $140.00/hr labor. But for me it is just time to teach a 7 y.o. kid how to take an engine apart and put it back together again. Start with a simple one first.

Also I will have to change my generators from a 24 volt starter to 12 volt. So will use a chinese starter/solenoid for that too, unless I can find someone who can rewire the coils to 12volt for a reasonable price. Changing the glow plugs is relatively straight forward if I need to do it, a bit warm after a hurricane...

Have also learned that after using the gen pull the hand cord to it sets in tension and that is where the valves close and thus prevent rusting out inside the cylinder in a humid and or salt air environment.. Internet forums are great where we people like you who have been there done that to guide us apprentices to these important details like this. Found a forum specifically for these military diesel generators for when I get in over my head, or in this case into the head..

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 01:48 PM

good info guys, thanks for not letting the topic deteriorate.....

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 02:37 PM

Westerbeke,,Onan, Northern lights are all top ginnys...I'm the guy that repairs them and does any service..

so here is your chance to shine "electrican"

who makes the "northern lights" diesel motor in its generator?

oh yea and don't say luggar...that's their private label

our website is:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 04:10 PM

I have been following this with some interest, considering doing an off grid thing in Nevada....I can't figure out why, if the end product Northern Lights unit seems to get good creds, why Bob and Susan are so wrapped up in who made what....Is there an agenda here I am missing? Kinda like worrying about who made the piston rings in my Cummins/Dodge...if the whole package works ...so what?

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 04:53 PM

We have a Cummins Onan 20kv propane fuel unit with a transfer switch in our new house. It isn't intended for full time use, only when we have an outage. It has worked flawlessly since it was installed, it comes on when the power goes off and resets itself when the power has returned. It has a control panel that tells you more than you need to know about what's going on. You can program an exercise program where it will start and run for a prescribed amount of time periodically to keep itself ready to go.

I felt a bit guilty during the 3 weeks it took to get power restored after Hurricane Odile having power, ice, cold beer and AC while all my friends were in line at the generator repair guy trying to get their Harbor Freight generator running after having it sit in the garage unused for 3 years....I got over it pretty quick.

I checked the amount of capacity being used with the pool pump, 1 AC unit, 2 refrigerators, the TV and a few fans running and found it was only running at 1/3 capacity. Maybe I could have gotten by with a 10KV unit...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 05:03 PM

you did the "right thing"

now...these others telling people that they repair these "off brand" units all the time and parts are abundant are liars

some cant even give us references he's a boat mechanic...just a picture of a business card is all

I had 3 Chinese units and all 3 failed...no parts available to fix

just because they "look right" doesn't make them work
all break

I use my Kubota 16hrs a day in the hot summer...its only time till it breaks...parts are everywhere...even the "tractor store"

our website is:
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.