Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 09:33 AM

Post a trip report dude!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 11:24 AM

I did the same thing woody except the attendant whipped out a calculator and showed me I was wrong. Ouch. Felt pretty stupid. I try to stick to pesos to save face.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 11:33 AM

While we are on the subject of PEMEX gas...

Yesterday I filled up with "VERDE" at the PEMEX across from the Mc Donalds in Otay.

I fumbled through my leftover change and found out that I was out of Pesos.

So I figure I'd have to bite the bullet and give the gas attendant USD instead.
Asked him what the exchange rate was and was told 16.40 per USD.That's pretty good considering that most of Ensenada was giving 15.90 to 16.1 per USD.

So I figured 20.00USD pretty much would fill up my Prius, but was prepared for an exchange argument. I added in my head...16.40 pesos times 2 equals $20.00USD, so $20.00 USD should be 328 Pesos.

To my surprise, the pump stopped at about 290 Pesos, and the attendant managed to put in the rest of the 38 pesos to finish filling the tank.

I gave him a 15 Peso tip with no window washing.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 11:45 AM

16.50 at COSTCO in Ensenada yesterday

Were you in town??

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
While we are on the subject of PEMEX gas...

Yesterday I filled up with "VERDE" at the PEMEX across from the Mc Donalds in Otay.

I fumbled through my leftover change and found out that I was out of Pesos.

So I figure I'd have to bite the bullet and give the gas attendant USD instead.
Asked him what the exchange rate was and was told 16.40 per USD.That's pretty good considering that most of Ensenada was giving 15.90 to 16.1 per USD.

So I figured 20.00USD pretty much would fill up my Prius, but was prepared for an exchange argument. I added in my head...16.40 pesos times 2 equals $20.00USD, so $20.00 USD should be 328 Pesos.

To my surprise, the pump stopped at about 290 Pesos, and the attendant managed to put in the rest of the 38 pesos to finish filling the tank.

I gave him a 15 Peso tip with no window washing.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 12:59 PM

Yes, I was, Terry for a quick trip to the house project Terry. Plus I had to stop by COSTCO to pick up a new washing machine that was still on special until Monday.
I did not know COSTCO had a gas station in Ensenada, Terry. I guess it's on the property somewhere.

I thought you were still in BA.

I'll be be back in Ensenada (for another quickee) on Tuesday. I have to give some construction materials cash to our contractor (Ambrosio). We'll see how our time goes, and we'll make a swing by your house time permitting (we would like to make to the border before 4 p.m.).

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 01:39 PM

when the turd said 15-1 i figured that was his way of making a little something on the transaction. no biggie, it made the math easier in my head.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 01:42 PM

No gas station, that was the posted rate in the store which I thought was very good

I will be in San Diego on Tuesday, I'll catch you next trip

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Yes, I was, Terry for a quick trip to the house project Terry. Plus I had to stop by COSTCO to pick up a new washing machine that was still on special until Monday.
I did not know COSTCO had a gas station in Ensenada, Terry. I guess it's on the property somewhere.

I thought you were still in BA.

I'll be be back in Ensenada (for another quickee) on Tuesday. I have to give some construction materials cash to our contractor (Ambrosio). We'll see how our time goes, and we'll make a swing by your house time permitting (we would like to make to the border before 4 p.m.).
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 02:08 PM

nothing, he wasn't that smart. i knew when he stopped at 500 that i was being shorted. other than that, if they are smart enough there's nothing stopping them from screwing you. same could be said for anywhere in the world, but this forum isn't about those other places, is it?

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 03:25 PM

i love milk!

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2015 at 06:26 PM

Hey leche not everyone is dishonest , have faith it will take you farther that synisism
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2015 at 08:19 AM

Same station tried to cheat me last year. Posted exchange rate was good so I thought I'd use some dollars up. He wanted to give me less than the posted exchange rate, said it didn't matter what was posted. I ended up paying with pesos.
Point is - while that station is convenient you need to have your calculator out every time you buy fuel there.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-16-2015 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TecateRay  
Same station tried to cheat me last year. Posted exchange rate was good so I thought I'd use some dollars up. He wanted to give me less than the posted exchange rate, said it didn't matter what was posted. I ended up paying with pesos.
Point is - while that station is convenient you need to have your calculator out every time you buy fuel there.
This info is best,calculator every time.
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2015 at 04:36 PM

When in Rome, do like the Romans do, when in Mexico pay in pesos and think liters.
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2015 at 09:26 PM

I agree that using Pesos is much easier than having to compute exchange rates for purchases. But when ever i run out Pesos i simply do the math 15ps x 50 dlls = 750 before i tell the attendant. so even though i'm paying in dlls i'm talking pesos. And for all the Peso only people, if you ask a price for anything more than a tortilla in the private sector you will be given an answer in dollars. Just look at every car being driven around thats for sale. So yes, dollars are very much loved. Don't worry Woody, the ones that never run out of Ps are the same ones that never get seasick. Liars or they don't get out enough to have it happen.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-16-2015 at 09:43 PM

Well said, Chato
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-16-2015 at 09:48 PM

Ain't it amazing, someone posts online of an actual rip-off to let folks know to be on their toes, and the drum-beaters come out to make him into not the victim, but the 'dummy' for allowing himself to actually be taken advantage of.

I've been ripped off at St. Antonio's station at El Rosario; yes, my guard was down, and yes, it was because of dolares vs. pesos....... but IT WAS STILL A RIP-OFF, no matter how you paint it. Wasn't the owner's fault, wasn't my fault either; was a coyote taking advantage of raw meat, period. Hang it out, they'll snatch it. The PERP is the criminal, the COYOTE the opportunist. One-on-one. Once only though; second time, shame on ME.

You can debate until the sun stops shining about the why's people do what they do; but on Sunday they go to their churches and by Monday they're forgiven. Please keep posting the places where this goes down, makes everyone a little more cautious, and wiser.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-16-2015 at 09:51 PM

YEP!
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2015 at 03:14 PM

The only things that upsets me was the OP use of 'turd' to describe the attendant.

Maybe he was trying to get $5.00 off you?

Maybe he was bad at math?

Maybe his mother just died and he was distracted?

Maybe he was a 'TURD' and you should have removed him from this planet?

Maybe...?

I appreciate the warning about the station.... reminds me to pay attention when buying something.

Also reminds me to not be a jerk if something doesn't seem right.

Also reminds me of the guy that pulled in a new F250 power-stroke a few years back at a small store in central Baja and throws a fit in the store because they would not take his $100 bill for two bags of ice.

Oh well
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2015 at 03:45 PM

at no time did i disrespect him. maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe, just MAYBE he was trying to rip me off?

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-17-2015 at 03:51 PM

..........sure smelled like one to me.........

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.