Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Graham Mackintosh Book Signings/Slide Shows
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 10:39 AM

I'm getting more pessimistic by the hour that vehicle will be found intact. And poor Mike had his house burgled and lost his safe with passport and important stuff inside...

Sad, after we had such a great time visiting DonKay on a nearby ranch. Mike was so delighted to see his old buddy strong and healthy...

IMG_2631a.jpg - 201kB

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 12:26 PM

Vehicle update:

Just heard from local Loreto police... vehicle found in Puerto Lopez Mateos. Two suspects in custody. Police heading over there this PM to take possession and possibly return it to Loreto. Will be interesting to see condition and what's left inside. Hope it's driveable at least. If anyone spots it heading back... be aware it's being driven by the police and not the bad guys.

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 12:45 PM

Great news Graham! Glad to hear they found the car and have the thieves in custody. Hope your gear is still inside amigo!

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 01:00 PM

Very bad news about the theft, good news about the recovery. Hope they can recover the contents as well. After living the past six years in Loreto, we feel the theft problem has really gotten bad in the past couple of years. Our house was broken into and cleaned out, just about everything! Police had one man in custody with some of our things at his house, but let him go a week later because "he says he didn't do it". I think they just got paid off and that's the end of it. We know of a couple other people in town who have had bad break-ins and nothing every happens to the thieves. Maybe the new Loreto government will try to change things, but something needs to be done or the US/Canadian residents will begin fleeing like in some other Mexican towns.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGeoff  
Great news Graham! Glad to hear they found the car and have the thieves in custody. Hope your gear is still inside amigo!

Ditto!!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 09:41 PM

Will be interesting to see condition. Last I heard from the police the vehicle hasn't made it back to Loreto yet... imagine I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get it back.

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 09:57 PM

Hopefully the bandidos did'nt have enough time before getting caught to sell or pawn your stuff and it will all be there

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2015 at 10:01 PM

I hope your personal stuff is recovered too. Laptop Etc.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-11-2015 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Graham  
Will be interesting to see condition. Last I heard from the police the vehicle hasn't made it back to Loreto yet... imagine I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get it back.

Or maybe a little longer. About 15 years ago my Cherokee was stolen out of my Nopolo driveway while we were NOB. That vehicle they also recovered in Lopez Mateos. They ruined it. Had to force the steering ignition column to get it started. We could't get back here for quite a while and while we were away the chief used the car for his personal use. Was seen all over the area. When we got back and I questioned him about using it, he stated, that he actually saved me lots of impound charges, Can't argue with that kind of Mexican logic. LOL
Hope for your sake it comes back in better condition than my jeep.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2015 at 01:02 AM

Midnight.

Just returned to Loreto from Ciudad Constitucion. Headed over at 2:30 PM. Was allowed to see the vehicle in the police compound in Villa Insurgentes - Looks good on outside... no obvious damage. But all windows had been tinted! A quick peak inside showed much of my stuff was there, and possibly Mike's buried beneath.

Even had a new 6-pack on the floor and a bunch of CDs.

Then off to court. Very impressive shiny new 2-story building with ultra-modern security. Given a lawyer and translator - gratis.

7PM-10:30PM in court. Had many US court features and procedures, apparently a new improved just implemented legal system? I heard the evidence against the accused who was present... caught red-handed driving vehicle after being stopped by vigilant police who'd been alerted to the stolen vehicle in Loreto.

The female judge gave me several opportunities to speak, including giving a victim impact statement. Didn't expect to be quite that involved.

Just wanted to take possession of my vehicle... but as its now "evidence" not sure when that will be. Heard so many contradictory statements from so many people, especially the police here in Loreto. I can certainly relate to your experience vandenberg... but inclined to think I've been very fortunate that my car and perpetrators were apprehended so quickly.

Invited to call on Monday to see if the court will release the vehicle. Accused was held in custody for 4 months while investigation conducted.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-12-2015 at 07:39 AM

Wow....what a story...and nightmare for both you & Mike. Sounds like everyone needs to be extra vigilant this holiday season.

Very interesting about the court and great the police were on this crime and got the perps. Look forward to hearing most of your stuff is intact amigo...enjoy that 6 pack and god speed to getting your car back.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 12-12-2015 at 08:19 AM

So sorry you had to go through this Graham but really glad to hear they found your vehicle and caught the perps. This is the new system of justice in Mexico which is supposed to bring more transparency to the legal system - we'll see how this plays out.

In our case, the perps have been tried under the old system and we were very lucky to have some close friends down here who gave us very good advice. We didn't simply "sit back" assuming the police, investigators and prosecuting attorney would all do their jobs. We became very involved, kept in close contact with the case and all involved in every step along the way. The perps have attempted a lot of legal moves in the process which has delayed the case now over 4 years since we were attacked. The good news is that we stayed on top of it and every single attempt to wiggle out of this was shot down. The judge has finally closed the case to any new evidence or motions and the next step will be each side presenting the equivalent of closing arguments with the sentencing expected next spring. My advice to anyone who fell victim to crime down here was to immediately file a report and stay on top of it all the way through sentencing.

We'll see if anything changes now with the new system...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2015 at 10:28 AM

Very much want to hear from Graham if he and Mike got any of their property back from inside his stolen car? Crossing fingers!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 12-14-2015 at 08:32 PM

GREAT NEWS!

I really hope that ALL your possessions are there and intact, buddy!

Quote: Originally posted by Graham  
Vehicle update:

Just heard from local Loreto police... vehicle found in Puerto Lopez Mateos. Two suspects in custody. Police heading over there this PM to take possession and possibly return it to Loreto. Will be interesting to see condition and what's left inside. Hope it's driveable at least. If anyone spots it heading back... be aware it's being driven by the police and not the bad guys.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2015 at 05:46 PM

Got back to Loreto 11 PM last night with the vehicle - after a long day running between Constitucion and Insurgentes and dealing with all the paperwork and requirements and waiting, waiting, waiting. Several times looked like it might not happen and I was beginning to fear if I don't take possession that day I may not have it till after Christmas.

Anyway with amazing help from some of the staff in the Ministirio Publico - lawyers, translators, supervisors - who were prepared to put in long hours and jump through hoops with me, we got it done. Huge thanks to Mike Younghusband who drove me over and who was prepared to wait while all this was going on, and put up with me in his casa.

Been an amazing experience with many big lessons. So glad its over and I can get back to trip. Vehicle has minor scrapes and a small dent but otherwise in remarkably good shape for something stolen. Some of my possessions missing, but at least I have 90% of it, unfortunately Mike only recovered a fraction of the items taken from his safe.

Caballo Blanco bookstore in Loreto, tomorrow, Thursday, 3:30 PM - I'll be talking about my books and my latest Baja adventures! Coffee and snacks provided. Hope some of you can make it.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2015 at 05:52 PM

Thank you for the update Graham!

Man, were you lucky... so much more could have been lost. Sorry for Mike not getting most of his stuff back.

Call me when you are stateside amigo!

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2015 at 05:53 PM

Will do, David... I still owe you a few beers.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-16-2015 at 06:25 PM
Hola Graham

good for you and getting your stuff back !! I met you in 81/82 in san jose del cabo at the town center..you might remember my mom Lynn Huggins ? I still have a copy of "Into a desert place" that I cherish, thank you and safe travel's to you,,pregunta, are any of your works printed in Spanish? and why did you chose a dark color 4+4 ?? I'm thinking about the heat factor..You Sir, are a inspiration..
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2015 at 11:15 AM

Hola Capt, thanks. I remember Lynn well and had a great stay in SJDC. Keep hold of that copy of Into a Desert Place... all editions are now out of print and my stock will soon be gone.

I probably wouldn't have chosen black for a Baja vehicle, and looked way too nice ... but that was the only AWD in the dealership and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Drives beautiful and great gas mileage. I'll bet the car thieves enjoyed their 500 miles. My previous CRV was dark gray and that was no real problem in sun and heat... then again I was running to the North Woods in the summer.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 09:00 AM

May I ask how much, if anything, you ended up paying to have the vehicle released back to you? Not talking about travel expenses; just what you had to shell out for "officials" to release your car.

I figured there would be motivation to get it back to you before Christmas. "Impound fees" and "administrative fees" make for some Christmas shopping money for the "system". End of quotes.

There have been cases over here, not involving vehicles where the Feds might have to get involved, where stolen possessions were held by the police as "evidence", pending the trial which can take literally years to come up. In a retirement community like ours, owners die, give up, lose paperwork, etc. and possession eventually reverts to someone connected to the police force.

True story, which I have probably relayed before, but it bears repeating. Guy gets his house broken into, as part of a rash of burglaries occuring over a year's time. Perps finally caught in the act at another home; it's members of the police force! They find their stash house and the guys items are in there. Oh, but we cant release this to you until you show us the paperwork, showing that you purchased it! "But that's back up in Canada, and I wont return with it for several months!" "We'll hold it here for you."

Said guy returns with the paperwork, the following season. In the meantime, charges have been dropped on the police because they moved the "trial" up to a time where his visa showed (he had to produce this, of course) he would be out of the country. Fastest trial date anyone has ever heard of.

Ok, well at least he can get his possessions back, right? He's got the proof of ownership that one needs to retrieve their possessions, right?

Uh, no. Mysteriously, all of his possessions have unaccountably disappeared from the evidence room................
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.