Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: San Juanico-Scorpion Bay CLOSED
coconuts
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 07:04 AM

IS the subject of these posts that San Juanico/Scorpion Bay closed???
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 07:07 AM

Viva San Juanico!!! Interesting to see what happens with the first mackin’ south swell. Empty perfection or crowded carnage?

BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 08:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by coconuts  

Good Question !

If you have come to this forum for information like I used too, I suggest you go somewhere else.

If you have come to this forum for political divisiveness and shiat slinging at each other, then you have come to the right place.

Sad but true!!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 08:58 AM

Since Ateo has brought this political thread back to San Juanico, here is a question from a non-surfer.

When a surfer is said to be on the far right, or far left, is that from the viewpoint of the surfer, or those on the beach?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 09:08 AM

I am a goofy-foot. Meaning I surf with my right foot forward and I face the wave going left. That left is from my point of view when I'm paddling for a wave.

So to answer your question...it is left from the surfers point of view who is paddling towards those on the beach.

And by the way...if you are to the far right or the far left, you're probably about to cut off someone on the wave.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 09:10 AM

Gary,
When you park and camp on the beach with your pooch and Kia....YOU decide how to call 'em....surfers speak in an arcane dialect. :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
And by the way...if you are to the far right or the far left, you're probably about to cut off someone on the wave.

+1

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 09:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRun  
Quote: Originally posted by coconuts  

Good Question !

If you have come to this forum for information like I used too, I suggest you go somewhere else.

If you have come to this forum for political divisiveness and shiat slinging at each other, then you have come to the right place.

Sad but true!!

I recommend the Trip Reports and the Historical Interests forums here on Nomad for pure info gleaning. This is "General Baja Discussion" and sadly, politics can take it sideways unless replies are ignored.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 09:28 AM

I’m a little curious about the hint of tourists being targeted
But when you show up to camp or hang out on a statewide beach closure :?:
W T F !
Self important tourists , Please Stay Home !
We have Abuelas down there !
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 09:49 AM

I will make amends for my political detours. I keyed into the thread first because I saw San Juanico. I have been mapping out the offroad Baja Divide route for a bikepacking plan in 2021 . '20 was to be my training year so we'll see. Scorpion Bay sounds too cool to pass on by.

The Divide route (blue) intersects this El Salto marked trail / road? Seemed like a great detour to what sounds like a great stereotypical old time fishing and surf village.

What might be the conditions on this route be? And is this a commonly used route?

Rough distance via the scale is 25 KM - travel time no idea.

san jaunico2.jpg - 34kB

san jaunico.jpg - 230kB

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 10:00 AM

The Road between Laguna San Ignacio and San Juanico is well-traveled. There is high road (graded) that passes the junction to San José de Gracia and a low road or Salinas road that passes through El Dátil on the seashore.

The road that crosses over to Mulegé from Rancho La Ballena is along Arroyo San Raymundo, and is also a common route that passes through the ranching settlement of San Miguel (once a mission visita of Guadalupe, the chapel was where the cemetery now is).

My map that may help visualize the places mentioned...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 10:07 AM

White whale, if you are traveling the Baja divide route, that stretch of road will be far better than anything you have been on for quite a while. It is well maintained, and suitable for any vehicle.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 10:26 AM
Stay Home, Tune in and put on a Happy Face

Don't lose to the Corona Blues. Watch Fox News !

If this virus news is getting you down while home-bound, Fox and Friends will bring you around.

Their "Happier Face" will bring you to a better place.

Try it a bit and you'll feel more fit.

News with a hopeful Hydroxy smile sans all that other media bile.

" Happy Days will be here again. Let's face this race with a foxy grin. Hip Hip Hooray, Let's all say ..... and come what may, many may die, but it won't be I. The world may take it on the chin, but Happy Days will be here again ................. "

Slainte Mhaith !
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
White whale, if you are traveling the Baja divide route, that stretch of road will be far better than anything you have been on for quite a while. It is well maintained, and suitable for any vehicle.

That sounds like a sell feature I couldn't pass - resupply and recharge for an extra day or two maybe. So being maintained stretch would it be a safe bet you'd see a road sign with an arrow to make it dummy proof? Don't imagine the google map car gets this far in yet.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 11:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Remember, we are not a true democracy, either. Read your history. If we were, Trump would not be President. Senators were originally not elected by our citizens (state legislators chose the Senate), only House members were popularly elected. There's also something called the Electoral College to select the President. People 250+ years ago knew far more about the structure of our government than our current citizenry. The debates were deep, thoughtful, and comprehensive in Philadelphia during the lead up the our Revolution. Far too many people today are bereft of knowledge of our country's founding principles and arguments.

Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" and the Federalist Papers should be required reading for all citizens. Not to mention the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Those are our "Little Red Books."

George Washington's farewell address is another required reading for any real patriot. As well as Eisenhower's warning about the dangers of the MIC.

John

Let's not over romanticize the past. They also allowed slavery and wiped out the native population.

I went to law school and read all the stuff you are referring to in conlaw classes.

[Edited on 4-7-2020 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

I went to law school and read all the stuff you are referring to in conlaw classes.

That's a romantic notion from your past....did you get your law degree? Pass a bar exam?

JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

That's a romantic notion from your past....did you get your law degree? Pass a bar exam?

Finished top 10% at Loyola Law School. Have an undergrad in electrical engineering, so I focused mainly on intellectual property and contracts law.

Decided not to practice. I like jobs that involve international travel too much.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 11:52 AM

Congrats.....lotsa hard work....lots of reading.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Let's not over romanticize the past. They also allowed slavery and wiped out the native population.

Where do you get the idea that I'm "romanticizing" the past. I'm completely aware of our history, the good and bad. I'd rather not write a post that reads like a Stephen King novel.

BTW, I was well above the top 10% in both undergraduate (UCSD) and graduate business school (USC). Not to mention a full ride fellowship at USC. Fight On!

If you need a CFO, let me know.

John

[Edited on 4-7-2020 by John Harper]
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2020 at 12:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
I am a goofy-foot. Meaning I surf with my right foot forward and I face the wave going left. That left is from my point of view when I'm paddling for a wave.

So to answer your question...it is left from the surfers point of view who is paddling towards those on the beach.

Being a Goofy foot is something my therapist and I have been working on since my Jeffery Dale days @ T street.
LEFT!!!
I spear you haole
eat spam, brah

Es Todo Bueno
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.