Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Tesla pickup
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 12:20 PM

No hybrid Teslas, however as an option one can buy a gasoline driven generator with integrated fuel tank to install in a Tesla car.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Stickers  
Just saw Jay Leno test drive it on his TV show. Musk said the entire truck will be bullet proof.

We watched too. What came to mind first when he said that was "to what degree", and that perhaps it might be something some bad guys might want to see if they can acquire, legitimately or not. Is it super safe, or super risky?

:?::?:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Just saw Jay Leno test drive it on his TV show. Musk said the entire truck will be bullet proof.

We watched too. What came to mind first when he said that was "to what degree", and that perhaps it might be something some bad guys might want to see if they can acquire, legitimately or not. Is it super safe, or super risky?

:?::?:

Well if bad guys use this truck they will be the most visible on the road. Easy to spot and identify.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 01:06 PM

I think they noted that the Tesla pickup would have one, two or three engines? Not sure what that means but obviously hybrid could be an option although I don’t think any other Tesla’s are hybrids.

the teslas have motors. not engines.

a hybrid tesla would be ridiculous. you want hybrid, perhaps ford or chevy is selling those in pickup form.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 01:26 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3BH8edQVZ4

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 02:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Buy a generator capable of charging it and mount it into the bed of the truck. Then you can go anywhere even off road.

And don't forget a large auxiliary fuel tank to run the generator!

John

Go ahead and laugh at and dismiss the Tesla and e-vehicles,...
I am sure some of your ancestors were horse and buggy drivers that laughed at and dismissed the horseless carriage,...

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 02:25 PM

Overpriced worthless in Baja be the first to buy one. Then be towed back by a Dodge to California.
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 02:40 PM

a hybrid tesla would be ridiculous. you want hybrid, perhaps ford or chevy is selling those in pickup form.[/rquote]

Yes, it is probably a choice of three different electric motors. They mentioned that it could tow a large load or get over 500 miles per charge so must have motor size options.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 02:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Buy a generator capable of charging it and mount it into the bed of the truck. Then you can go anywhere even off road.

Here’s one solution.

BF699F3B-AB95-4068-9E33-95F4C3CF2AC9.jpeg - 48kB
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 02:44 PM
Towing a Tesla

If you had to tow one of those cyber trucks, can the wheels be made to rotate freely, or are they always engaged to the motors?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 02:52 PM

"For real" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKOA7XeGXNw#:~:text=The%20real%20difference%20is%20the,a%20specific%20type%20of%20motor.

Don't believe everything you think....
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 02:53 PM

You can’t tow any Tesla wheels down. The electric motors regenerate power back to the battery under normal deceleration which adds a little power. However towing would generate too much power and over stress the Control system so Tesla states no towing. Will void any warranty.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 03:01 PM

a hybrid tesla would be ridiculous. you want hybrid, perhaps ford or chevy is selling those in pickup form.[/rquote]

Yes, it is probably a choice of three different electric motors. They mentioned that it could tow a large load or get over 500 miles per charge so must have motor size options.

the 2wd model has one motor
there will be 2 AWD models, one with 2 motors, and one with 3 motors.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 03:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Overpriced worthless in Baja be the first to buy one. Then be towed back by a Dodge to California.

there are destination chargers all up and down baja (e.g. mission santa maria hotel, catavina hotel, terra sal hotel, la huerta hotel).
there is one supercharger in ensenada (hotel coral)

Woke!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
You can’t tow any Tesla wheels down. The electric motors regenerate power back to the battery under normal deceleration which adds a little power. However towing would generate too much power and over stress the Control system so Tesla states no towing. Will void any warranty.

Thanks for the reply. That was my understanding of how the system worked, but did not know if there was something as simple as "locking hubs" that could be put in a free position for towing.

That would be my first suggestion to Elon Musk if he wanted to improve his off road vehicle appeal.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 06:49 PM
Chicks Dig It ?

Back in '68-'69 living on the beach, a good friend was car-shopping and considering a Corvette or an XKE.

The Jag salesman's spiel was that, regardless of the price difference and no matter how great he (and his buddies) thought the powerful Vette was ................ the XKE was a P-ssy magnet.

He bought the Jag.

Made sense to me.

Back then, of course, most sports cars WERE the chick magnets. Even my Sprite and MGA. There wasn't anything sexy about pickups .

[Edited on 5-29-2020 by MrBillM]
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2020 at 01:00 PM

caught the episode too. "bullet proof" screams marketing campaigns only.
It will be the $5K option at the store.

He's such a visionary but I just see Elon coming down hard one day. He should have been taken down for the "pedo" guy comment and then he had the 420 share price fiasco. His covid claims lately too. He has built a cult of personality with fan boys and girls that rivals the MAGA scene. One day a skeleton will emerge - it always does.

Not even on the Covid page but in general , $5 gas is better than $2 in the Tesla world. Biggest question however- can Tesla decrease their burn rate of cash while at the same time dealing with EVERY car company on the planet coming out with potentially better and cheaper electric cars?
The other question when you scratch below the surface is who REALLY owns these cars?

Tesla towing the genny - classic !
Next up Starlink.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2020 at 02:09 PM

Just reporting real info
Cost to build a Model 3 28k. List price 44.5k.
No cash burn for those numbers.
Model X and Y are even more profitable.
Competitors are now estimating they are 5 years behind Tesla for manufacturing and engineering. And no competitors have charging infrastructure. They depend on others for that detail.

Funny how the liberals think while ignoring the real info.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2020 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  
The other question when you scratch below the surface is who REALLY owns these cars?

20% of my neighbors drive e-vehicles. 3 of 20 houses on my street drive teslas. 1 drives a leaf.
They may be delusional, but they all think they own them.

Woke!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2020 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Just reporting real info
Cost to build a Model 3 28k. List price 44.5k.
No cash burn for those numbers.
Model X and Y are even more profitable.
Competitors are now estimating they are 5 years behind Tesla for manufacturing and engineering. And no competitors have charging infrastructure. They depend on others for that detail.

Funny how the liberals think while ignoring the real info.

So what if they make a profit? It’s the ‘Merican way!
Ford makes big bucks selling f-150s
You want cheap, buy a used camry!

Woke!

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.