Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Estrella Jalisco Cerveza/ not bad
cactuspete1970

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 11:01 AM
Mexicali beer

Todays Mexicali beer tastes like Bud light, fake beer. Tastes nothing like the real Mexicali, greatest beer ever that shut down 40 years ago.
surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 11:37 AM

Howard, you peaked my attention by mentioning Sandy and Juan.

I still have my bubble gum collected baseball card collection from the late fifties and there is Sandy Koufax, along with Juan Marichal.

My Marine Corps pilot Dad took me to some Washington Senator games in the early 60's, and once when I missed catching a foul ball, Juan Marichal came over and handed me a baseball after seeing my obvious disappointment in missing the catch.

I played every year of little league I could, and because of my birthday, I was allowed five years. The first couple were mostly bench sitting, but by the last year I was pitching some shut outs and a couple of no hitters' and hitting some home runs to boot.

The next year when I went to the local pony league, it felt like was competing against the bigs. So much for that. I was done playing.

Juan Marichal has always held a special place in my heart for that 12 or was it 13 year old player.

Peace, love, and fish tacos.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 12:05 PM
I wondered how long my bait would hang out there....

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
A Giant fan or a Dodger fan? Give me a break, the long glorious history of the Dodgers with players like Sandy Koufax or the bat thumping Juan Marichal representing the San Francisco Seals? (Giants)

Go Blue!

When I was a kid we were traveling down from Tacoma for a vacation and my dad dropped me in front of the Coliseum and I saw a double header..... Dodgers and Reds. Wally Moon had no "moonshots" that day, but I remember that every inning Duke Snider's face got a deeper shade of red.

Later, same summer, different trip, he dropped me in front of Seals Stadium down on 16th and Mission and I got to see my Giants..... Orlando Cepeda was a rookie.

First year I lived in the Bay Area I attended "The Greatest Game Ever Pitched"
Marichal and Spahn. Both went 15 innings, Spahn went out after that, Marichal stayed in, and Mays hit one out bottom of 16. 1-0. A life long love affair (until now)
Does anyone really care about major league overpaid knuckleheads any more???? In any sport??? Just asking.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cactuspete1970  
Todays Mexicali beer tastes like Bud light, fake beer. Tastes nothing like the real Mexicali, greatest beer ever that shut down 40 years ago.

I think this was at the Halfway House, Chef Johnny's restaurant...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Does anyone really care about major league overpaid knuckleheads any more???? In any sport??? Just asking.

Yes.
Re pay,... pro sports players offer their play in a market economy. The pay is fair, it is what the market determines. If you can play at that level, you can enter the market and get paid well too!

[Edited on 8-30-2020 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 01:40 PM
As usual, you missed the point

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Yes.
Re pay,... pro sports players offer their play in a market economy. The pay is fair, it is what the market determines. If you can play at that level, you can enter the market and get paid well too!

[Edited on 8-30-2020 by mtgoat666]

The question I posed "Does anyone care?"
I am the ultimate entrepreneur. People get paid what they deserve and the market can justify.

I had season tix to the GS Warriors for 15 years, am currently sitting on 10 years as Sharks season ticket holder. Even had 49er season tix when they were at Kezar.
I have not watched one second of NBA, NHL nor do I intend to watch NFL.
Been there, done that.
If others wish to pay the crazy bucks to support these dudes, "God bless them"
I'm out
Dropping Sharks as soon as they send a renewal....
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 03:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandy  
I'm going back to homebrew in Mexico.

I just hope nobody has a hissy-fit when they find my fresh vacuum-packed hops.
Look a little too much like mota.

How easy is it to come by the ingredients needed to homebrew in Baja?

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 03:51 PM

Not easy to find homebrew ingredients in Mexico.

I'll bring down my 2-row malted barley, specialty malts, hops, grain crusher, brew bags, thermometer, siphon, yeast nutrients.

Believe it or not, those big vacuum bags of bread yeast in Mexico make a fine 8% ABV brown ale.

Mexico has big brew pots (they call them "tamale steamers" for some reason) carboys and plastic soda bottles.

I had a lot of trouble with water supplies: salt intrusion in wells, purified water with some kind of weird chlorine that doesn't boil off, ditto town water. These kill the yeast.

The river water above the hot springs at El Chorro made incredibly good brew, but now I'll use the well water across from Puerto Escondido.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 04:59 PM
Salt may not be a problem (to a point)

I have not brewed in years, but I used to add brewing salts to the soft water that we had in Nevada County. I agree that chlorine would not be a good thing, but my bet is that water that is over treated (reverse osmosis?) would not make the best beer!

Also, in a warm climate, I would only use a top fermenting ale yeast! A bottom fermenting lager yeast would require a slow, sterile and cool environment to prevent a wild yeast from taking over. Something like sourdough would give your brew that "skunky" home brew flavor.

[Edited on 8-31-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2020 at 08:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vandy  
Not easy to find homebrew ingredients in Mexico.

I'll bring down my 2-row malted barley, specialty malts, hops, grain crusher, brew bags, thermometer, siphon, yeast nutrients.

Believe it or not, those big vacuum bags of bread yeast in Mexico make a fine 8% ABV brown ale.

Mexico has big brew pots (they call them "tamale steamers" for some reason) carboys and plastic soda bottles.

I had a lot of trouble with water supplies: salt intrusion in wells, purified water with some kind of weird chlorine that doesn't boil off, ditto town water. These kill the yeast.

The river water above the hot springs at El Chorro made incredibly good brew, but now I'll use the well water across from Puerto Escondido.

Thanks for the reply. Given the proliferation of small craft breweries in New England (along with a growing laziness), I haven't felt the urge to homebrew in quite a few years, but should we relocate to Baja, I could see myself craving an IPA after awhile.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2020 at 09:04 AM

I used to like Carta Blanca but haven't seen it in a while. They were one of the first to have a twist off cap but what I really liked about them was they molded a bottle opener in the bottom of each bottle so you just opened a fresh one with your dead one! Anyone that is that supporting about me having another beer is alright in my book! :biggrin:

In Memory of E-57
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2020 at 09:42 AM

I remember a stubby barrel bottle with the opener in the bottom. This was in 1986 just north of Zihuatanejo, and I did not realize what the indentation was for.

I offered a couple of them to two guys working by where we were camped, and was surprised to see them "toast" each other with extended arms, twisting each others caps off, clink the bottles and down the hatch!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-31-2020 at 09:44 AM

clever marketing! you had to buy at least two, not that mexicans aren't masters at top popping!

[Edited on 8-31-2020 by del mar]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2020 at 09:49 AM

Also a necessary tool considering how tight those early twist offs were. You could tear up your hands getting a buzz on!

[Edited on 8-31-2020 by AKgringo]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-31-2020 at 10:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
I used to like Carta Blanca but haven't seen it in a while. They were one of the first to have a twist off cap but what I really liked about them was they molded a bottle opener in the bottom of each bottle so you just opened a fresh one with your dead one! Anyone that is that supporting about me having another beer is alright in my book! :biggrin:

Was XXX also a brand with the twist off tool molded in the bottom of the bottle? I can only find can photos...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hCEAAOSw7MNcU0nR/s-l400.jpg

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-1-2020 at 06:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

When I retire, I think I will take up alcoholism as my retirement hobby!

My husband is going to take up chemistry upon retirement - he wants to turn beer, bourbon and wine into urine :lol::lol::lol:
BajaMama
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2020 at 06:06 AM

I'm surprised none of you fellas mention Negra Modello - one of our favorites. Also, Bohemia, a world class brew.
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 9-1-2020 at 06:20 AM

No mention of Modelo Especial (the Mexican Coors lite) ?
Go Giants !!!
BajaMama
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2020 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajafreaks  
No mention of Modelo Especial (the Mexican Coors lite) ?
Go Giants !!!

Well, the mention I will make is Modelo makes the one of the best and worst beers in Mexico!:biggrin:

And, go Giants!

[Edited on 9-1-2020 by BajaMama]
jamiec
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2020 at 09:50 AM

[/rquote]

How easy is it to come by the ingredients needed to homebrew in Baja? [/rquote]

In Central Ca I usually order all my homebrew stuff from More Beer. Free shipping over $59 and super fast service. They say they ship international, I've never shipped anything to Baja but I wonder what the cost would be if it would get caught up in customs.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.