Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 12:23 PM

Just imagine how some of our Spanglish sounds to locals .... :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 01:18 PM

Hey!Ged! I am doing pretty well, hope you are as well? When I moved out of the river bottom up to Loma Azul I put two of them there black Pilas,pilars,tinacas , containers , whatever the resident experts want to call them up high for reserve water supply. this was Mexico...You WILL not have water at times. I also bought another fridge to keep full of pacifico for when the"fail safe"failed. Caca occurs.I have read this thread a couple of times and somewhere amidst the verbiage there is likely some fact? Your guess is as good as any ones! Keep well....
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 09:12 PM

Anybody have pics/vid/ links of how they set up toilet float system for knowing how full/empty tank is? Some time ago someone said they had done it.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 10:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Anybody have pics/vid/ links of how they set up toilet float system for knowing how full/empty tank is? Some time ago someone said they had done it.

2 pullies, 1 line, one float, one weight, one bracket, and bob's your uncle.

[Edited on 2-7-2021 by BajaNomad]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 06:25 AM

thats NOT it...they sell the correct part at the hardware store...its about 5 bucks

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 06:27 AM

oh yea water is on again...no shortage of water

our website is:
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 07:14 AM

nice illustration goat. you must me a CAD user.
not sure what bob is referring to with his $5 buck solution. other than helpfully pointing out your solution was woefullywrong. maybe he just enjoys urinating on people's cornflakes.

[Edited on 2-7-2021 by pacificobob]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 07:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
nice illustration goat. you must me a CAD user.
not sure what bob is referring to with his $5 buck solution. other than helpfully pointing out your solution was woefullywrong. maybe he just enjoys urinating on people's cornflakes.

That’s just a dwg I found on the web.

Susan may be right that you can find a similar level gauge in hardware stores, but susan also cannot/has not provided any info on what is for sale at Susan’s local hardware store.
There are many varieties of tank level indicators, but I suspect in rural baja there may be just one common one that people use (they all seem to use one brand or shape of tanks, so not unexpected that they only use one gauge, and therefore makes sense why susan is only familiar with one gauge)

It is possible that susan was referring to a float-actuated valve. But the original question was about a level indicator (level gauge).

[Edited on 2-7-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 08:19 AM

Bob is talking about a float valve, not a gauge. same type of fill valve in an older toilet. you dont need a gauge, its automatic. and $5 is about right.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 08:48 AM

every tank i have bought here, all 17, have come with float valves. i have at least a dozen extras in the bodega.

the float valve and a quantity guage preform widely different functions.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 10:09 AM

an installed float valve

DSC00566.JPG - 147kB

our website is:
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 10:35 AM

Oh yes, the water supply in La Bocana can not be faulted. Ask Blanca, you have never heard her complain about it, have you?

I tap on the side of my tank once in a while, that is all the gauge I have ever needed.:light:
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
oh yea water is on again...no shortage of water

In Baja there are certainly more than the 7 world wonders in existence::: How come that SAPA (the water company) which did not pay CFE (the power company) can pay CFE on a Sunday to get power running??? I am guessing that SAPA did not went to an OXXO store paying cash!
Well, Baja wonders!:?::?::?:
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 10:53 AM

Thanks for the replies.....we seem to be getting closer to the answers I am hoping for.

Perhaps my original question could have been clearer:

"What kind of gizmo helps a person know how much water is in tinaco when the tinaco is too high for best ladder in town and the town water supply is totally unpredictable and frequently as bad as the town's internet ?"

Float system seems to help with allowing some degree of water in to tinaco, but won't accurately display volume of tinaco....?
I guess I am looking for a "level guage" more than just a float.

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 11:05 AM

That would be called a sight glass
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
That would be called a sight glass

A sight glass is is perfect and easy!!!! You got to cut a new hole into the tenaco or pila or pillar. (let your best friend do it when tenaco is full) Then your best friend has to climb into the tenaco and hold the conter thread that you can put the thread on from the outside. Then you got to glue on a flexible hose pointing skywards on the thread. On the flexible hose you finally can glue your sight glass on. No big deal !!!! But don`t forget to purchase this oversized ladder as the tinaco is on the roof! But there is a more easy solution: You buy a camera. Install the camera next to the sight glass. (Screw the bracket for the camera into the tenaco!) And every evening when the sun is pointing directly into the sight glass you can watch the level on TV.
Better than NETFLIX movie. :light::fire:
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 12:14 PM

I did not recomend buying one, i do not think you will ever see one on a pila in baja. What do you think ged is looking for?
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
I did not recomend buying one, i do not think you will ever see one on a pila in baja. What do you think ged is looking for?

Just want to know : What is simple visual system for determining how much water is in tinaco when not able to look in tinaco?

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 01:24 PM

the water guy showed me how he does it...just use a plastic tube from the bottom to the top...water fills the tube to the level of the water inside...nothing fancy

DSC00566.JPG - 147kB

our website is:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 01:28 PM

The whole description of the situation between SAPA and CFE sounds very familiar to the situation between CEA (our water company) and CFE. Lack of payment of electric bill.

Dont know about Baja but the heads of the water entities over here are political appointees who rarely know ANYTHING about running a water "company" (ours is actually a state agency, I believe). Almost no maintenance is done on the system and leaks are numerous. Plus, there are many, many illegal taps between neighbors.

Honestly, the water is absurdly cheap for being in a desert. I pay a flat 320 pesos per month for basically unlimited, unmetered water that arrives from a pipe in the street. Meters are becoming more common but there are still many households without them.

Most all of the Guaymas/San Carlos area is on scheduled days when water comes in to your particular area. So cisternas and tinacos are a must. Actually, so is a pressure pump system if you want pressure higher than about 20psi.

The water company has requested increases but politicians always shoot it down. So, the infrastructure stays leaky.

With all the leaks, it's probably a good thing that the water is off on a regular basis. Otherwise, it would be an uglier waste of water than it is.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.